• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of new headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Right now I'm using Audio-Technica ATH-Pro5v, and they are falling apart. When I'm post-processing photos, I listen to music. Most the time it's country with some rock mixed in, maybe some rap. I also from time to time match movies on my PC, DVDs to blu-ray. Tomorrow my ZxR will be here, my AuzenTech Xplosion with upgraded Op-Amps died. Sadly to say I cried like a man tho, it was my fav card. So right now I'm looking at either the Sennheiser HD 598 and the V-Moda Crossfade LPs. Coming from the headphones I currently have, would I be happy with either. As said before I listen to a lot of country. I love the sound of a steel guitar, fiddle as well as a good kick drum. I also want it if I'm watching a movie and a bomb goes off, I want to be like damn.

The Sennheiser 598 is a magnificent set of cans, but for your interest, I don't think they will be for you. As they are open, you will hear the bass, but you will not get that "heavy bass feel".

As for the V-Moda, I would not go with their LP line. If I were to buy a pair of V-Moda it would be their XS or M-100 (I actually own the M-100, lol). But the V-Moda sound signature is not something I would recommend for rock, but more of bass heavy music that you really want to feel the bass in.

Do you have a specific budget we can work inside? It will help to narrow the choices down. Also, would you prefer closed or open? (Open are better for a wider/larger soundstage and directional audio, but they are rather bass-light compared to closed sets)

In the meantime, you can take a look at Mad Lust Envy's headphone guide that should give you a quick overview and insight into several different sets.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...2-17-2015-x2-partial-evshrugs-x7-review-added

I love the headphones I have now. I like the closed headphones more then the idea of open ones. Most the time I only have my left ear listening, with the right side being behind the ear. I do this so I can hear if someone calls and what not. For price I'd like to stay around $150 as I can get the HD 598s for 147 and the LPs for 125.

Edit: I was also looking at the Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro.

Last edited:
Do your research of course and look more into these over at Head-Fi and other places, but I think these might suit you well.

NVX Audio XPT100

They are one of many Fischer Audio clones that do an outstanding job for their price, and they do well in all types of music. They are pretty comfy to top it all off ;)

I'm curious, what's falling apart? If it's the earpads/headband pad or the cable, they're replaceable, rather easily.

Other things like hinges, not so much, of course.

I have their ATH-M40s and M50s (quote old now). I've had to replace pads several times, and the screws.

I don't recall the movie, but something I had on had one of those moments like the Jurassic park dinosaur's stomp, when I pulled the cans off my head to see what had hit the house.

That makes me ask, why not the M50x from their current line?

The M50X wouldn't be bad, but it is essentially just an improved M50 using the same drivers. To be quite frank, for the price, they are simply not worth it and get blown away in sound quality by headphones nearly half the cost. Of course, the M50 are well-known for being built like a tank, so they certainly have that going for them.

Well I talked to my cousin who is a professional singer/writer and producer. The headphones he uses are a set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and a set of Sennheiser HD 280. He said the ATH-M50s have the best overall sound great bass response & high end separation. He uses the Sennheiser's more for tracking then mixing. He also talked to an recording engineer that he respectes a lot told him, that the Audio-Technica's were the best, in his opinion on the market & that he was using them to mix with. He also said when he is singing he prefers an open set of headphones. So with this I think I'm gonna go with a set of Sennheiser HD 598. I looked at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and I'm not a fan of the 180 turning and that they collapse on themselves. I love the way my Pro5v's sound and wish I could find a set of Audio-Technica's like them, that didn't cost a lot.

I think you will be happy with the 598 :) The 598 have an well deserved hype since the 595's that have been a staple in the gaming world. Well balanced, bass neutral, mids are well pronounced, and a neutral treble that makes them perfect for gaming. Of course that lends itself to a comfortable movie listening experience as well.

M50 is just an overhyped headphone (which is it's biggest issue) that are lower quality than their retail pricing suggests, if they averaged a cost of $70-$80 they would be perfect IMO. AT's higher end stuff is pretty nice and you can't go wrong with Audio-Technica as far as quality is concerned.

Enjoy the 598's, and of course, report back with your thoughts on the sound after you've gotten some time with them.

I just bought some Jays v-Jays and absolutely love them. Light and the sound is superb, Made in sweden and only $60 plus the 60cent MC over-border fee. Shipping was lightspeed as well to california, They actually arrived before the proposed tracking date.
http://www.jays.se/v-jays

I have a set of the Philips Fidelio M1's and like them pretty well. I wouldnt pay retail for them, but if less than $100 they are nice in every way

Back