• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quant112358's Build - 5903K MSI x99s xpower 32GB G.Skill DDR4 980GTX and Corsair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quant112358

Registered
Hey guys, I posted a while ago planning the parts for this build, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered from 3 different stores online in order to get the absolute lowest possible price on the exact parts I wanted (Amazon, Newegg and DirectCanada). Today, the first pieces arrived!

I'm going to keep this build thread updated for this pc, with lots of pics of the progress, so you can follow along as things get up and running. Then I will do some bench marking and overclocking and more bench marking.

At this point I am still waiting to recieve my PSU and my mobo, but everything else has arrived. I will also be building a new desk to suit this new pc setup, following that I will start producing videos and websites/content along with streaming some games like CS:GO, CIV5, Warthunder, Diablo3 and a couple more...

Take a look at the parts which came in today below;

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 182
Epic. You got the monitor I'm lusting after. I hate you. :( :p

Anyways, none of what you mentioned really merits the hex core. Wondering why you got it? Also, wondering why you got the tier 2 hex core when you're only running a single GPU? 5930K is only worthwhile if running 4 cards. Otherwise the 5820K is good up to 3 cards @ 8/8/8. Same CPU in every other way.

Not to knock your purchase. It's an awesome setup you have there. Just curious what your motivation was.

If you need help with overclocking please post in the Intel CPU section.

Looking forward to pics when complete. You going to put some LED strips in your case? That case has a large window. Looks good lit up.

So this weekend I got some work done on the new desk; still waiting on PSU and Motherboard so it was good to keep me busy... they should be here this week. Having 85% of the parts in hand for this build and waiting on two key components still is like an odd form of cruel and unusual punishment! A friend of mine pointed out something funny, he asked why I don't use the new keyboard with my current old pc, and my only response was " I wouldn't want to even risk spreading the slowness of the old pc and infecting the new one " - I know this isn't possible, but I'm willing to bet a few of you know what I meant anyway.

Why the hex core? - fair question, for me it came down to a few points; first it has full 40 lanes, and in about 8 months, to a year or so, I plan to add a second video card and possibly a third some time after that. I also want to get the XP51 which will use X4 lanes direct - second, I will be doing a lot of content creating, I got a GoPro Hero4 Black over the winter holidays so will edit 4K vid, I also run some serious excel/sql for work stuff and the extra power will help when running all kinds of stuff at the same time. From everything I read in reviews I really liked it over the 5820k. I had never thought of lighting up the case, I may - lemme see how it looks once it's together and running for a week or so.

I need some recommendations for a great mouse - what's the best accurate mouse these days? Also gonna grab a Sata3 SSD - Samsung Evo the best recommended?

Ok here's some more images that didn't get posted last time, and some pics of the desk progress.
The desk is made of 1/2" galvanized steel pipes, and solid Oak boards for the top and lower shelf for the cube. It is designed specifically to fit awesome with this pc AND specifically for my body - I am taller then most people and the "average" desk means I can't sit at a comfortable height with a straight back, also, you'll notice that I can adjust the height of this desk and set it to my perfect height. yeah - I have been angry at the desk situation for a long time, this is long overdue lol.... anyway, what you see here is only just the beginning, I don't like to spoil the future of what's coming but I have a vision here and I think this is going to end up looking quite nice, really. So I left it off for now, after having just done one pass with 80 grit sand paper.

More to come soon, thanks for checking it out guys and thanks for the feedback!

Lnb0B9Y.jpg
ZNb4kEi.jpg
1NW0VoP.jpg
lpsxUbm.jpg
GAX9Va0.jpg
ECCMMDT.jpg
zwMtsdL.jpg
Gq8q7MM.jpg
sspiaWA.jpg

Got another part in the mail today! Power supply has arrived! .... leaving only the Motherboard due to arrive either tomorrow or the next day... sigh.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the desk, it's not finished yet though and I plan to work on it tonight after posting this update actually. I have a lot more sanding and finishing work to do on the wood before I can stain it (I'll be using Tung Oil on the Oak), should have a real nice finish when it's done.

I checked out that link for the light kit, these kits have come a long, long way since 10 years ago, that looks pretty neat and tidy, I will consider adding the lights once it's all up and running.

As always, lots of pics below of the new PSU, it's a Corsair AX860 Platinum+, modular, quiet, efficient. It was pretty funny the way they packaged this thing, felt like i was opening a Russian doll toy or something. First it comes wrapped in plastic shrink wrap, then there's the outside box with specs and pics on it, then inside that box is a brown regular box - inside that brown box is a bag full of wires and a foam box... inside the foam box is another bag, this bag is fabric material, has a draw string and a corsair logo on it.... inside this bag is yet another plastic bag, finally containing the PSU... hahahah, (insert bag/box xzibit meme here - Yo Dog! I heard you like boxes and bags!)

I also posted a few pics of my old pc - the ancient machine I am typing this on right now, here's the specs on that for anyone who was wondering.

• DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR Expert
  • 2GB DDR400 OCZ Platinum CL7
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ OC'd to 2.5GHz
  • Nvidia Geforce 680GT 1GB PCIe
  • WD Raptor 10K rpm 36GB
  • WD 250 GB SATA
  • Plextor PX716-SA SATA DVD Burner
  • ThermalTake 560 Watt PSU
  • ThermalTake modified Armor Case
  • 2 x 6GB IDE Raid 1 HDD's
  • 3-1/2" Floppy drive

I understand the motherboard is now viewed as a collectible item and I'm definitely going to be selling it once the new PC is up and running, so maybe a week or so?
Anyway, more updates hopefully in the next day or two!

6fInvIf.jpg
mKBuXil.jpg
ef8hTw9.jpg
yfagx58.jpg
DrXlBdg.jpg
e5pYBzf.jpg
sG8ilyw.jpg
BS1Auvy.jpg

It's alive!
I Got the motherboard delivered last night, and jumped right into getting everything running.
I spent an excessive amount of time reading and reading and re-reading to make 100% sure everything was connected properly. I was not as easy as I thought it would be, but it also wasn't as hard as I've seen other people experience either, it was somewhere in the middle.

I first installed the radiator and fans on the top of the case blowing out because I didn't want to bang the mobo around messing with it, so once mounted, I installed the motherboard on the screws, then the cpu went in, locked down and then the corsair liquid cooling block bolted down onto the cpu. Next was the ram, then the M.2 SSD - what a nightmare those tiny screws are for people with large hamfisted hands. Anyway, it went in eventually. Next up was the LG burner (super easy), and then all the wires connecting to the mobo were plugged in and routed around to the back of the case, finally, plugged everything into the PSU, bolted in the PSU and we were ready to boot!

It was 1am by this time so i just let it boot up, checked out the bios, and made sure all my parts were appearing in the bios correctly, looked good! I checked for bios updates and I'm running 1.5, latest release is 1.6, so tonight I will update the BIOS to 1.6, then I'll install windows 8.1 64 bit, then drivers.

Question for you guys: how much better (if at all?) are the corsair Air 140 fans, with the red rings?... @ $25 a fan, is it really worth changing over my current grey corsair fans which came with all the stock case/cooler?

I'm gonna make a trip to a store tomorrow to check out SSD's and Mic's - I want to get a condensor Mic and a SATA3 256 or 512 GB SSD for my games and software - my intention is to only run system critical software like OS/main programs/drivers from the M.2...

Ok, here's all the pics from last night, I had to post these from a public PC as mine isn't up and running yet! lol

zWrSLSD.jpg
DJYocWQ.jpg
FECZRdY.jpg
7GvlzHZ.jpg
FZXRnt1.jpg
w8j4MfP.jpg

OK So, finally, I am updating this thread for the first time from this new PC, I am typing on the Corsair RGB K70 its very clicky. I went out on Friday and picked up a Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD - thanks for the advice!!, I am quite pleased with it so far, solid drive, performance and the price was reasonable too. I also picked up a Black Yeti Condenser Microphone which I'll be using in live streaming and content creation.

So here's what I've done so far now;
Windows 8.1 fully functional and up to date.
Installed all drivers and utilities.
Swapped in my old SATA 250 GB HDD from my old rig so I could grab some of my work files and photos and music right off the bat. This old disk is a "dynamic disk" and all my new disks are "simple disks", Should I clean out the old HDD and reformat it as a "simple disk"?

Here's the configuration and file types I'm using each disk for:
1) 128 GB M.2 PCIe x2 SSD - Exclusively used for Windows 8.1 OS and drivers/utilities.
2) 256 GB Samsung 850 PRO SATA3 SSD - Exclusively used to games, apps and programs to run from.
3) 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA3 HDD - Used for music files, video files and large file storage
4) 250 GB SATA1 7200 RPM HDD - I thought I could use this as a backup drive, to keep copies of important documents and work. - any advice for, or against this?
5) 1 TB USB3.0 External HDD - all kinds of random files and backups.

I'll also mention I'm running 3 internet connections and a bluetooth connection from my new pc. 2 x Intel Ethernet, and 1 Wifi connection. Does anyone know how to assign each connection to a specific program? also, if my total ISP bandwidth is 25 Mbps (bits), can I achieve 25 per connection, for a total near 75 on my pc? or am I hard limited by my ISP bandwidth? Also, does bridging these connections do anything for me?

A note on something I learned about new UEFI bios and MSI boards; if you want to install windows 8/8.1 you cannot use legacy bios, you must change the settings to UEFI and Windows 8.1 specific mode. This eliminates a lot of other junk and allows you to install the OS. (Had to figure this out the hard way).
Second, let's talk about "Fast boot" and MSI "fast boot"... When I switch to Windows 8.1 mode in UEFI it automatically enabled "Fast boot" ... it IS definitely fast, but when you see that next setting "MSI Fast Boot" and the only description MSI offers is "it's even faster"... don't be fooled, I switched on MSI Fast boot and that was the last time my new PC worked correctly for 2 hours!!! what a nightmare! First, it shut off all my devices while booting, including keyboard. so you can't get into BIOS, that means you need to open the case and manually click the tiny little "GO2BIOS" button, finally you're in bios, you disable fast boot, and restart, now windows 8 begins it's endless cycle of "machine Check Exception" bull **** where it attempts to determine the cause, fails, hangs and restarts endlessly, finally I kicked it out of the loop by using the "Override BBS Boot Priority" option in the bios, which again could only be accessed by using manual on board GO2BIOS button.

Anyways, after all that, I Installed and updated Steam, Battle.net, Microsoft Office 2013, and Adobe Photoshop CS6; So far I have tested a couple of games, and I have learned some things, and I have some questions about G-sync, all these games are being run at 2560x1440 @ 144Hz.

1) Civ 5 - Looks and runs great, but every once in a while there is flicker on screen and the game actually crashed for an unknown reason mid game, where I had loaded in a HUGE map, 28 city states and max AI comps. Don't get me wrong, while I was playing for an hour it was awesome, super fast, solid, very pretty, but then it just randomly crashed. I'm running this in windows 8 mode, what's the deal??

2) Diablo 3 - ran all settings on max, stunning visuals, I hadn't played this game in over a year since my old pc had degraded so much with junk spam. In this case I don't understand how to make G-sync work??!? I have nVidia panel set to global "Gsync", I load all games on max, and i enable vsync. yet the little white light bottom of my monitor stays red, telling me gsync is not kicking in, why?

3) Counter Strike: Global Offensive - again max settings, same issue with Gsync, can anyone tell me what is the actual procedure for making Gsync do it's thing in games?? - the only way i can get the indicator light on my screen to turn white and tell me gsync is running in game, is when I specifically change the gsync setting in nvidia control panel to "Adaptive". Help?

4) iTunes - how on earth, do you get iTunes to NOT use C:/iTunes as it's default music library directory, it's killing me, I go into Edit > Preferences > change location to my Storage drive, and STILL it goes right back to the gott-dang C drive, iTunes is killin' me... anyone know the fix for this?

5) SLI time? - This is a fairly specific question, so you maybe don't have the answers... my old video card is a GeForce 650 GTX Ti OC 1GB = I have read online that it IS possible to SLI GTX cards together if they meet certain criteria, anyone know what that criteria is? Anyone know if a GTX 980 4GB and a GTX 650 Ti 1GB can be SLI'd together? I've also read the memory amounts need to match, but couldn't confirm. nvidia should have a tool that says "will it SLI or not"... lol

I intend to try out some War Thunder cinematic mode and arcade mode, will try to remember to take some beauty screenshots for you, and this brings me to some positive points on the outcome of this build. First, everything work 100% first try, couldn't be happier. Second, the SPEED programs open, OS loads at, and everything happens is un-real man, just SO fast, (I will have time boot up time and post my real time later) Photoshop used to take well over 4 minutes to load, now as soon as I click it, it's open and running instantly! Civilization was an 10 minutes plus loader, now it's well under 20 seconds. The audio quality in my headphones (Sennheiser HD 418) is amazing, better than I've ever experienced from a pc. Surround sound in games ACTUALLY works (watch out you CS:GO fans! I'll hear ya comin' now). The Intel 5930K is a truly awesome CPU, I often have task manager open or the MSI Command Center so I can watch each of 6 cores dance around as they volley for speed and efficiency changing their own clock rates and multipliers, it's really really neat. The screen itself is incredible, I watched random 4K vids from youtube today, I've never seen such detail in a lizard or a volcano before, wow, just amazing. I am really very pleased with how well this build game together. I have cleaned all my wiring in the case, put the case side walls back on, and now all that remains is to install the new Mic, and finish building my new desk. It's hard to bring myself to go down into the basement where it's 7 degrees C (unheated!!) and plow away and sanding some oak boards while this PC is up here in a warm office... but I will get it done soon. you understand I'm sure.

Below I've posted some more pics for you guys, a few of the new Samsung drive and a couple nice shots I managed to snap of the new rig.

Let me know if anyone of you happen to have answers or ideas for all of my questions above,
Thanks,

EWUgsl9.jpg
CTvJtvc.jpg
L0LDEOh.jpg
kOBwLEM.jpg
Bt20F3P.jpg
bcOGT5U.jpg
Yo23NjV.jpg
G1E9GMy.jpg
YrN9aei.jpg
UZb8S7A.jpg
HLdfJif.jpg

I wouldn't worry with formatting as a simple disk.

If your ISP gives you 25Mbps you won't exceed that. Just connect one Ethernet cable and be done.

Turn off V-Sync in-game.

Can't help on iTunes, I don't use Apple's garbage.

No, you can't use those in SLI. They have to be the same model. i.e. 980 + 980, not 980 + 650

OP could you condense your last post into something people might be willing to read in its entirety? Though I do feel you deserve the Nobel prize in literature for your last post, I can't compel myself to spend the next 20 minutes reading it all :p

hahah yeah, that was a serious wall of text, I got carried away enjoying typing lol, yea right.

OK - TL,DR;
Bought new Samsung 850 PRO. it's good.
Bought Black Yeti Condenser Mic, will test it out soon.
PC is fully up and running with drivers and software - it's fast.
I faced issues with MSI Fast Boot and Windows 8.1 UEFI Bios. I fixed it.
When i play Civ 5, it crashes, why?
When I play any game, I don't know how to make G-sync work, help?
Then I posted pics.

For the question about ISP speed, yeah i figured it was 25 max cap, oh well, thanks.
For my questions on SLI - I found an official answer here, and you're right, no I cannot SLI them.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/469402/

Theres' the tldr, if anyone needs more details, see post above lol.
One thing I'll add to the above is that coming form Win XP, I am REALLY loving Win 8.1, it's a great OS.

Also, I think I'll be listing a bunch of my old gear for sale, no reasonable offer refused. here's what I'll be selling:

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR Expert - northbridge fan stopped working 5 years ago, never any issues tho.
2GB DDR400 OCZ Platinum CL7 (2 sticks)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ OC'd to 2.5GHz
AMD Athlon 64 S939 3000+ CPU (1.8GHz)
Nvidia Geforce 680GT 1GB PCIe
WD Raptor 10K rpm 36GB
ThermalTake 560 Watt PSU
PCIe nVidia Geforce 7800 GT 256 mb DDR3 - has dual DVI out + S video

Lemme know if anyone wants these things, I'll ship anywhere in world, it's easy - can also verify my seller feedback on any of the other forums I have sold other things on.

hahah yeah, that was a serious wall of text, I got carried away enjoying typing lol, yea right.

OK - TL,DR;
Bought new Samsung 850 PRO. it's good.
Bought Black Yeti Condenser Mic, will test it out soon.
PC is fully up and running with drivers and software - it's fast.
I faced issues with MSI Fast Boot and Windows 8.1 UEFI Bios. I fixed it.
When i play Civ 5, it crashes, why?
When I play any game, I don't know how to make G-sync work, help?
Then I posted pics.

For the question about ISP speed, yeah i figured it was 25 max cap, oh well, thanks.
For my questions on SLI - I found an official answer here, and you're right, no I cannot SLI them.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/469402/

Theres' the tldr, if anyone needs more details, see post above lol.
One thing I'll add to the above is that coming form Win XP, I am REALLY loving Win 8.1, it's a great OS.

Also, I think I'll be listing a bunch of my old gear for sale, no reasonable offer refused. here's what I'll be selling:

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR Expert - northbridge fan stopped working 5 years ago, never any issues tho.
2GB DDR400 OCZ Platinum CL7 (2 sticks)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ OC'd to 2.5GHz
AMD Athlon 64 S939 3000+ CPU (1.8GHz)
Nvidia Geforce 680GT 1GB PCIe
WD Raptor 10K rpm 36GB
ThermalTake 560 Watt PSU
PCIe nVidia Geforce 7800 GT 256 mb DDR3 - has dual DVI out + S video

Lemme know if anyone wants these things, I'll ship anywhere in world, it's easy - can also verify my seller feedback on any of the other forums I have sold other things on.

I can't answer your questions. I can tell you though that you need (100?) posts before you're even allowed to B/S/T on OCF, and it's against the rules to B/S/T outside of the classifieds, which, again, you need (100?) posts to access.

Are you using Classic Shell with Win 8.1? I find it really makes it better.

No SLI on those cards, but you could still install the 650 and dedicate it to physics. I have no idea if it would be worth it, though.

No SLI on those cards, but you could still install the 650 and dedicate it to physics. I have no idea if it would be worth it, though.

Not worth it. You can barely render 8-bit super Mario on that card, unfortuantely. Wouldn't do much for PhysX. Which, btw, is used in few games these days. Besides modern Nvidia cards are powerful enough not to necessitate the use of a dedicated phys x card.

Not worth it. You can barely render 8-bit super Mario on that card, unfortuantely. Wouldn't do much for PhysX. Which, btw, is used in few games these days. Besides modern Nvidia cards are powerful enough not to necessitate the use of a dedicated phys x card.

LOL, it's not quite that bad. I could run BF3 on my 550Ti at medium settings. But yes, I agree, there's really no point in adding it.

Back