• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with DSL/QoS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

So I have a 3mb DSL connection (Only thing I can get in my part of the city). I have a Asus RT-N66R router and a netgear modem (post the model in a bit). During the day when the kids are on streaming (two old ipods or whatever) youtube. My game i play online on my tablet lags like hell everything 30 seconds to a minute where it almost loses connection.

I added my device in QoS as highest priority just curious if anyone has any tips so i can somehow optimize this tiny connection so that i dont lag like crazy. Sometimes during the day im off and just want to play for an hour. If its not the two small kids my older son is streaming And killing it lol.

Thinking ill just have to give then the boot when I want to use it.

Any tips would ve awesome.

All of the things you CAN do will end up causing the kids to complain in kind, the reverse of the situation you're experiencing.

Maybe move them to mobile data for that time, or switch to a router you can configure with speed controls (could be software on a PC for that matter).

Pre-download the youtube targets? Let them watch those offline? (That's tough, I know).

3mbps just isn't sufficient to stream medium quality video (let alone two, or HD) and play online games at the same time. Setting your connection to a higher priority will just lag everyone else. You pay the bills, though, so no harm there!

So I have a 3mb DSL connection (Only thing I can get in my part of the city). I have a Asus RT-N66R router and a netgear modem (post the model in a bit). During the day when the kids are on streaming (two old ipods or whatever) youtube. My game i play online on my tablet lags like hell everything 30 seconds to a minute where it almost loses connection.

I added my device in QoS as highest priority just curious if anyone has any tips so i can somehow optimize this tiny connection so that i dont lag like crazy. Sometimes during the day im off and just want to play for an hour. If its not the two small kids my older son is streaming And killing it lol.

Thinking ill just have to give then the boot when I want to use it.

Any tips would ve awesome.

There are several alternatives you can have.

1) Schedules. There are schedule features built into many routers that will allow you to decide which MAC has access to the internet at what time.
2) bandwith caps (throtling): I doubt it is in your router but combined with the above you then wont be knocking everyone out but instead lowering their cap.
3) Increase to 6mbs (if not too much), like others stated 3 is low.
4) If this is due to noise you could try adding them to a different Vlan (guest wifi) and see how that helps.
5) your game time is their chores time ;)

Note: QoS determines which has higher priority, but not reserves bandwith this is the reason you are still lagging.

Back