• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

combine multiple modems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kurama

i recently moved away from the bay area CA, that had me on about 175mb/s down 25mb/s up $65/month
and now im below las vegas in a nowhere town on the route 66 called needles CA
with a whopping 10mb/s down 200KB/s up

my only choice in isp, is still using doccis 2.
and that means they can only shoot me one channel per modem
so i am now paying for $50 a month for 1MB/s siiiigh
at any rate, with four users in the house.
we decided to get 2 modems $100 a month for 2x 10mb/s connections

we all would be tickled pink if there was some Free way to bond both signals together and have a 20Mb/s line to be split inside the house

It is possible. I can't say it's a guaranteed benefit, but here's some ideas to investigate. This isn't a common choice among consumers, so don't expect prices to be low, or setup to be trivial.

First, there are dual bonding options with some ISP's. I suspect you've asked and discovered it's either not available or too expensive.

There is a product line under the brand name "Mushroom" that specializes in aggregating connections. Technically this isn't ADSL bonding, because it doesn't bond at the point of the DSL connection, and it doesn't involve your ISP. It's basically a router which disperses I/O intelligently over "the most available" connection. I don't believe you'll ever obtain 20 mb/s throughput on a single socket connection with it, but overall you'd get that throughput distributed from a single internal network, and if you use multiple-source download software (like download accelerators), you probably would get 20 mb/s speed overall on a single download (it's using multiple connections to do that).

That is to say, you won't get 20 mb/s speed on a single video viewing.

Yet, two on the home network would get 10 mb/s each without having to coordinate which DSL line you're using.

Windows Server 2012 also has a feature in it called "Teaming", which does something in software similar to what Mushroom does in hardware.

I'm not sure, but software routing applications like Wingate might also do this.

For these last two options, one computer acting as a server would take the position of being a router between your network and the two ADSL connections.

Bonding two 10Mb connections for four users, or having two use one, and two use another...the obvious route is to do the latter. If you need all four users to see/ one another, a couple 3rd party routers with some static routes will do the trick (assuming what's provided doesn't have that functionality).

If you need something larger than a single 10Mb stream from a single source, you'll never see it, regarless of what you do.

Back