• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2nd 290x not recognized in Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CallMeTed

Help! :bang head

This is my first post after reading a lot of helpfull stuff here in the last year or two, so thanks to all you guys :clap:

This very issue has probably been covered a lot of times, but hey, here it is:

Finally got my money out and ordered 2 x 290x and so far I'm really impressed with the frames I'm getting in BF4 ( 70-100fps, maxed out in 1080p on 64pl servers! ).

And that's only one card. You see, my second one is not recognized by either GPU-Z, Catalyst or Afterburner. ALTHOUGH in Afterburner first time, before

I swapped pci-s slots, showed gpu2 usage ( no usage on-game though )... The weird thing is there was no gpu2 temp, gpu2 memory, vid, clock etc, just gpu2 usage!

So what I've done: Simply switching cards between 2 upper slots, and trying every connector both hdmi and dvi. Fan's are spinning but apart from that nothing. Latest catalyst driver: 14.12

Worst case scenario, retailer sends me a new card, but got this feeling it might workk out...

Would really appreciate some tips! Hopefully a Swift has my name on it soon and my boys needs to be sharp and ready!

Specs:

cpu: intel 3570k
mobo: Asus p8z77-v pro ( updated to BIOS 3 months ago... )
gfxcards: 2x Sapphire Tri-x 290x 4gb ( temp on working card only hitting 74 :shock: )
ram: 16gb corsair vengeance @ 1600mhz
power: Corsair HX1050 watts
monitor: Asus VG278H 27''

Thanks!

Do a complete driver uninstall with DDU and then re-install. That should clear things up for you.
We should see about moving this to the AMD GPU section as well.

And Welcome to OCF CallMeTed.:welcome:

Hey Johan45 and thank you! Don't know why it took me so long but here I am, a new recruit ;)

I'll try that tomorrow and report back.

Het Earthdog, thanks for moving the thread!

( First of all I forgot to mention that before the DDU I used these tips from BradleyW on removing drivers of a gtx 690:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers

It work well in the sense that the amd card now worked after no response from deleting just nvidia related software in the control panel. BUT, his advice did involve erasing nvidia stuff in the registry keys, but if something happened there, maybe I made some mistakes... Mr Bradley seemed pretty experienced ;)

Now Johan45, the DDU didn't work so well because on restarting after using the software all I got was a black screen with some blueish around the edges, so the screen was getting signals at least. Turned the power off and was then directed to Windows repair blue screen and turns out it was a good idea to create a save recovery point to bring me back to before the DDU. Then on the new restart, I'm I get to where the win password is and yfter typing and hitting enter... I am back to the black/vlueish screen, stuck :bang head

So figured it was time to just let it go for a bit ( which our dog totally agreed on ) and got some sleep. Now, 12 hours later, turned the pc on and voilá, into windows and working as if the DDU never happened, 'your pc has been set to the recovery point' of something like that.

Funny thing, catalyst is there but won't open, so probably some files have been corrupted? But now Afterburner is showing gp2 usage, gpu2 VID and gpu2 memory usage, unlike the first time I installed the cards and it just showed gpu2 usage. Ofcourse now there is no gpu2 temp, fan speed, core clock or memory clock, but Afterburner is at least recognizing the card again. Still nothing in GPU-Z though.

Screenshot (2).png Screenshot (3).png

If these are too blurry I'll try again later ;-)

So what should I do? Try the same again? Find out if my reg keys have been corrupted? Some other cleaning I can do?

THanks!

Screenshot (4).png Ah, here's the GPU one.

Oh, and ofcourse in Afterbruner all gpu2 values are at a constant zero! Don't mean to 'litter' the thread ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ted,

DDU will clean everything off for you. You don't need to go poking around in the registry. Simply select the new card install option and it will do the work for you, and correctly. The second card will 'turn-on" when you start a game (that supports xfire), and not when just in windows. Is xfire enabled in CCC? have you swapped the cards around from the top slot to verify that they both do work?

Last edited:
Hi,

I've used DDU again and all it did was bring me into the same cycle of black/bluish screen and Windows repair. So I did a refresh of win 8.1 ( hoping this will fix any possible errors in the registry ), and reinstalled CCC but under 'gaming' there is no crossfire option, just 3d application settings. Cards have been swapped in the two upper lanes and the problem card has been tried alone. Fans are spinning, but when alone and when with the other card either in the upper or second slot i get a the blueish black screen. But did you read everything in my posts? :-/

Can the advice in the thread i linked above have messed up my registry and if so, do i need a full new Win reinstall to fix it?

Is my only choice now to return the card?

Hi,

I've used DDU again and all it did was bring me into the same cycle of black/bluish screen and Windows repair. So I did a refresh of win 8.1 ( hoping this will fix any possible errors in the registry ), and reinstalled CCC but under 'gaming' there is no crossfire option, just 3d application settings. Cards have been swapped in the two upper lanes and the problem card has been tried alone. Fans are spinning, but when alone and when with the other card either in the upper or second slot i get a the blueish black screen. But did you read everything in my posts? :-/

Can the advice in the thread i linked above have messed up my registry and if so, do i need a full new Win reinstall to fix it?

Is my only choice now to return the card?

Since we don't know what you did to the registry, it's very possible it's borked. I'm not fully understanding what you did when swapping the cards around, but if the "problem card" won't work by itself, then...

Hi Bishoff and thanks for the reply!

It's pretty obvious I guess, so I'm sending the card back. About the registry, I just followed this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers

I am pretty sure this is what made my system unstable so to all you fellow noobs out there, think twice before poking around in the registry!

Anyways, after using CCleaner no more problems and my system is purring like a cat once more.

Back