• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Okay guys so i swapped by graphic card on my system to a MSI R9 290X Lightning Edition and I think I need to get a better PSU because I think the rails are having a hard time starting the system. For example. When I push the power button the system start and then it turns off. I stay waiting and it will then boot up again and load. At first took several times to start it resets and power down and power up. However; it could be I was not patience enough to wait. This time I waited and it two rebooting on its own to get the system to boot. That's what makes me think I need a new PSU. Any recommendation? Like what watts I should be in etc... Thanks!

How much are you looking to spend? The server grade units are the best, but obviously the most expensive.

700W should be more than enough for a machine with one GPU. Either the PSU is defective or the problem is something else.

Look at the EVGA SuperNova G2 series.
850W would give you enough headroom for Crossfire.

Mike, the current unit is old, that by itself could be cause of it not liking the 290X.

The following items is what I have running on that PC.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930k |Cooler: NOCTUA NH-D14 2011 | MOBO: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition | RAM: Viper Patriot 16GB 1866Mhz | GPU: MSI R9 290X 4GB Lightning | Storage: 256GB SSD Crucial M500 | 3x 7200rpm HDD | 1x DVDRW | 5x 120 Fans which 3 have LED | USB Plugins 5 used from keyboard/mouse to studio audio unit.

This is being powered by a FirePower ModXStream Pro 700W 80Plus Semi-Modular High Performance ATX PC Power Supply 700MXSP, formerly PC Power & Cooling

Question: I am not very knowledge on PSU so you guys think I am pushing my system really hard with that setup and that PSU? I remember when I swapped the cards the system was overclocked. I did setup default optimizing and seems to boot just fine now.

Do I need a EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 850W Power Supply 220-G2-0850-XR

or

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W ATX12V/EPS12V 80Plus Gold Power Supply 120-G2-1000-XR

Last edited:
I might consider downgrading my motherboard and cpu so I can pick up a new motherboard z87 or z97 with an i5-4690k and the power supply.

Yea I have decided to keep the cpu and mobo. Going for a decent PSU and I think all I can afford at the moment will be about 850watt unit. Will 850watt unit work with my system and some Overclocking?

I know corsair is nice what you guys think of the Thermaltake - SMART Series 850-Watt ATX Power Supply - Black? I remember using them back when I use to coin mine and they worked great.

I think the SuperNova G2 is the best 850W PSU on the market.
It's competitively priced, 10 year warranty, fully modular, 80+ Gold, and borderline perfect voltage regulation and ripple.

Honestly, at the price of it, you'd be silly to use something else.

I think the SuperNova G2 is the best 850W PSU on the market.
It's competitively priced, 10 year warranty, fully modular, 80+ Gold, and borderline perfect voltage regulation and ripple.

Honestly, at the price of it, you'd be silly to use something else.

Okay Thanks I will order one tonight!

Okay Thanks I will order one tonight!

You'll really like it :)

Just in case you needed any more convincing, EarthDog runs a 4930k and R9 295X2 on a custom water loop on the 750W version without a hitch.

You'll really like it :)

Just in case you needed any more convincing, EarthDog runs a 4930k and R9 295X2 on a custom water loop on the 750W version without a hitch.

Dang! Nice! okay that sound more than enough for me to be convinced. =)

I think for future proof I am going with the EVGA Supernova 1000watt Gold Edition.

Well man, my 1000w was suppose to be here yesterday and now it turns out that the price no only sligly drop but the 1300w model is the same price as the 1000w model. LOL! So, now I am debating if i want to turn around this unit to grab the 1300w since is the same price and will be a price cut for what I got the 1000w for. What are your thoughts there EarthDog?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOV...TF8&qid=1424891353&sr=8-1&keywords=EVGA+1300w

Not worth the effort

Even for the same cost I wouldn't go bigger. You were properly sized at 850W, 1KW is overkill, this is massive overkill at 1.3KW. I wouldn't do it.

Back