• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any FX 8310 owners?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminal Frost

Just wondering if anyone else has this chip. I got one from TigerDirect around x-mas for $ 104.00 USD .Faster specs than the 8370E by 100 mhz and alot cheaper. Got mine in an Asus SaberTooth 990FX R2.0 with a custom loop sitting at 4.9 GHZ for daily use..Great chip for the price.

4.9 eh? Nicely done!

Had mine cruising and benching over 5200mhz. (FX-8300 not 8310 ftw)

These low end chips are a gas. More over the 8350 and 9 series chips. There's just something about clocking a low frequency chip as fast as it's big brothers!!

Party on!

I can run benchmarks at 5.2 ghz but it gets too warm after a bit for daily use like that.. I tend to always get the lower chips and clock em high.. B4 this was a 1045T @ 4 ghz. And B4 that a x2 3800+ @ 3 ghz.. My 1045T had better single core performance in some benchmarks but this chip is still faster in all my games.. And kills the 1045T in 3Dmark .

Last edited:
I have an 8310 in a sabertooth but have not overclocked yet. Great chip for the price. On air right now temps staying low with a Hyper 212 EVO.

HOW!? HOW!? are you guys getting these speeds? I have this chip (from Tiger Direct) on a MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) and for the life of me cannot figure it out in MSI BIOS
I have tried setting AMD COOL QUIET disabled
enabled unlock core technology
i tried setting multippler to 20 for a 3.9ghz and cpu V to 1.4000 but when I hit save and reboots to black screen..nothing no post nothing ? what the heck am I doing wrong? do I just load fail safe defaults in my BIOS and ONLY change the multipler? sounds too e-z that way....
anyways thanx guys if anyone answers :D

HOW!? HOW!? are you guys getting these speeds? I have this chip (from Tiger Direct) on a MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) and for the life of me cannot figure it out in MSI BIOS
I have tried setting AMD COOL QUIET disabled
enabled unlock core technology
i tried setting multippler to 20 for a 3.9ghz and cpu V to 1.4000 but when I hit save and reboots to black screen..nothing no post nothing ? what the heck am I doing wrong? do I just load fail safe defaults in my BIOS and ONLY change the multipler? sounds too e-z that way....
anyways thanx guys if anyone answers :D

You probably should start your own thread asking for help instead of necro-bumping a ~4 year old thread(s). ;)

I took a look at the MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) that you are using and I don't think it will provide the power and or control the heat that an overclocked FX cpu can pull from a motherboard. They can be power hungry chips... Probably not enough phases and no heat sinks over the VRM section. I would say that the ASUS Crosshair V Formula and the ASUS SaberTooth 990FX R2.0 were the two strongest boards for Vishera. You might be able to get a mild overclock? Or maybe just run it stock.

MSI 760GM-P23 FX.PNG

You probably should start your own thread asking for help instead of necro-bumping a ~4 year old thread(s). ;)

I took a look at the MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) that you are using and I don't think it will provide the power and or control the heat that an overclocked FX cpu can pull from a motherboard. They can be power hungry chips... Probably not enough phases and no heat sinks over the VRM section. I would say that the ASUS Crosshair V Formula and the ASUS SaberTooth 990FX R2.0 were the two strongest boards for Vishera. You might be able to get a mild overclock? Or maybe just run it stock.

View attachment 206796

WOW awesome thanx man, so what would a mild OC be? 3.9? I found my biggest problem was making the changes in the BIOS, I could not find a guide anywhere for that one "American Mega Trends"

WOW awesome thanx man, so what would a mild OC be? 3.9? I found my biggest problem was making the changes in the BIOS, I could not find a guide anywhere for that one "American Mega Trends"
PLEASE make a new thread SilverAMD!!!!

When you replied to this and the "AMD FX 8310" you have inadvertently pulled in a ton of helpful AMD FX knowledgeable folks who were subscribed to those threads - those of us responding to this 4 years later do so because we really want to see you have some success and fun with your setup. :thup:

The best way to do that is to make a new thread, and put in there all the info you have (even if you are unsure!!! or new at this - we don't judge!) because genuinely the fun for us is to help someone with this now older tech.

Personally, I want the story of how a FX-8310 came to be installed on a board like the MSI 760GM-P23. And I mean that from a genuine curiosity and NOT a judgemental "that's a dumb combo, why did you do that."

No, the people responding to you I hope want to see if a FX-8310 can be made to work well on an MSI 760G-PM23 because.... at least for me that's so wrong it's awesome (in a good way!).

Anyway again, PLEASE make a new thread with the infos, because I really do want to see how this story plays out.

I mean, who doesn't want to see the "most pimped out MSI 760GM-P23 build EVER" just for the fun of it! :attn:

This sticky should get you started:
https://www.overclockers.com/forums...ormance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-co

You'll need to add heatsinks to the mosfets and have direct air flow on them as well to even have a chance with that motherboard. The mosfets are the small black square ICs that appear to be in pairs, and are located behind (relative to the socket) the chokes (which are larger cubes labeled R50 in the picture above). These would be a good option, either the 6.5mm or 12mm https://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-Mosfet-Passive-Copper-10-Pack/dp/B004CLDIHK or https://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-MOS...=B004CL89D8&psc=1&refRID=BK6B5T3ZD7W6HBSY41Q9. You'll need to measure the parts on the motherboard (with the system powered off) and then ensure that the heatsinks do not contact anything else once mounted, including the small pieces that may be stuck to the motherboard. If you have a cooler that blows air down and out toward the mosfets, then you might be OK. If you have a tower cooler that blows air across the CPU, then you'll need to fix an additional fan pointing directly onto them. Speaking of coolers, you're going to need a really good CPU cooler as well. Many people also end up placing a fan behind the motherboard tray blowing directly on the back of the socket as well.

I'm certain your problems are a combination of power delivery and temperature. In order to run a stable OK, the CPU needs to get consistent power, which can't happen when you have too few mosfets that are also too hot. The CPU temp itself also needs to be in the low 60 C range under load. When you start overclocking, disable cool n quiet, then gradually increase the multiplier with stock voltage until it becomes unstable during a stress test like prime95. When it does, if your load temperature is still well below 60C, you can try increasing voltage from stock, but of course with that motherboard it will require the modifications discussed above. It will still probably hold you back from hitting 4.9 stable.

You could always search out a good overclocking motherboard for that platform, but with the prices on first generation ryzen CPUs and DRAM being so low, I doubt it would be worth doing so compared to just upgrading to AM4.

Back