• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there any way fix an inconsistently running pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

barryco

Registered
i have a deepcool maelstrom 120k hybrid. first, i am not sure whether it's the pump or the radiator has the issue, but it is the part where usually the noise is coming from.

my problem is, sometimes when i boot up, it is not running, i just know it when the pc is silent, i know my water pump (or radiator?) is not running although its fan is running. when i go to bios at this state, the hw fan monitor registers a 0 rpm for cpu, and my bios temp registers a dangerous temp of 95 deg celcius. i immediately turn it off.

my temporary workaround is, turn it off completely then turn it on again until i hear the distinct sound running again where at this point i know the pump is running. when my pc booted up with this pump running (pc gets noisy). the bios temp registers a constant 40 deg celcius, and the hw fan monitor registers around 5k rpm (?).

the good thing was, when the pc booted with the pump running, the pump does not randomly shuts down. the pc can stay 24hrs with the pump running. the problem only lies when booting up as if it needs to be heated first or that i'm just drawing luck at how many boot i have to do for it run.

it is already out of warranty. so is there any DIY fix for this?

currently i only tried changing the pin connection to another available pin in the mobo. same result.

These aren't designed for maintenance, just replacement.

I'm surprised that you're having a warranty issue. I would expect 1 year and I don't think these have been out much if any longer than that.

But you can be the first on your block to give it a try, repair that is, and take some pix for our viewing pleasure. The pump itself is simple, maybe you've got an electrical problem? Check all wires before getting out the bigger hammer. Look for frayed or overly creased wiring, connection issues. Most problems are pretty easy to assess.

I'd try and repair it maybe, and test it on some old hardware vs the newer.

Then while I'm tinkering and thinking about it, I'll buy into a better yet liquid cooling system and see if the repaired one (if possible) can be set aside for a spare or for parts.

That cooler is probably "just enough" while there are probably air coolers that can do better.

Back