• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-970A-UD3P rev 1.0 (overclocking)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IronHands

Registered
Hey I have seen in a past thread on this forum maybe the solution to what I am looking for but I want to make a new Thread so that if anyone has become more familiar with what I experienced.

So... When I go in bios and set everything to manual variables and turn off or what ever on that should suit for an overclock... I get like a double boot thing, meaning when I save my changes and restart the computer boots (not making it to the login screen or anything or the post screen I guess) but shuts down again and boots back up normally and everything is fine leading me to my windows login screen.

Now from what I have found (as a solution from this forum) is that "it seems that by enabling HPC mode and Core performance boost" will solve this issue.

For anyone that's familiar with what I'm experiencing can you clear this for me as a viable or correct solution?

I have not tried to overclock my PC lately sense I experienced this double boot or what ever it is and if I remember correctly I did try enabling "HPC mode and Core performance boost" and that kept the double boot or what ever from happening. I just did not leave it that way and I reverted everything to default setting in the bios and I've been using the computer that way ever sense.

So can anyone help me please with issue or problem if even then it a problem at all? I have read on other forums that some seem to think it's normal or maybe just not normal but they left their overclock in place anyway and continued to use their PC even with that double boot thing happening.
I could not confirm at the time but I believe even with the wacky double boot thing happening it seem that my overclock was holding but I'm not sure. Another person noticed that his overclock was holding even with the double boot effect so he just decide to roll with it. I didn't roll with it and I reverted everything back to default values, and even though enabling HPC mode and Core performance boost seem to take away the double boot I still reverted everything back to default values.
Thing is the setup that I built was intended for some kind of overclocking so that what I plan to do or at lease I would like too.

I have an hyper 212 evo on a FX-6350 with artic silver 5. I do plan to get an fx-8350 but I wanted to get the double boot thing figured out whenever I try to overclock or really just setting all the values and having them all on manual and what not and just saving that but without any kind of real overclock seem to give the double boot. I maybe could have explained this better but I have not tried anything lately so I'm speaking of something of experience that happen 2 or so months ago.

Thank you, it does seem from what I tried to find out in the past that it was like a thing with all gigabyte motherboards. I'll read some more on it if I can maybe try an overclock tonight just for fun.
Just to clarify is turbocore a setting in bios? Here shortly I'm going to jump in the bios and check everything out and get back familiar with it all I would do so now but I'm grabbing some updates from windows that I've been blowing away till now.

Just for kickers I want to overclock the fx-6350 to 4.2Ghz sense that was the clock of my FX-4350 that I begin the system with.

Thanks for helping me out, I swiftly O/C to 4.2Ghz or 4.18Ghc actually so I'm thrilled for now :)

Last edited:
So how should I have my voltage calibration setting set at? I believe that's what it's called, I'm not in my bios at the moment. I do know that I have it set on medium. I have bumped my voltage to like 1.42 something but when I set the calibration to extreme I saw on HWMonitor my CPU VCORE would hit like 1.5. So I'm trying to get a good understanding how this works and what is best.

Right now I have my FX-6350 at 4.4GHZ and I'm using Prime95 to check for stability. It seems that I can hold 4.4GHZ easy as long as I up the CPU VCORE voltage but it isn't like the CPU VCORE stays situated. Like right now it's at 1.416V and max has been 1.440V and as I said I actually have my cpu voltage set at 1.42V I can't remember to be exact.

So how should I do this? My CPU temps looks good, and I feel like I'm clear to do 4.5GHZ or 4.6GHZ easy. I just want to know the best most effective way to adjust the cpu voltage with this motherboard.

FWIW, all the Gig boards do the double boot thing all the way back to the 790 boards. Totally normal. ;)

I've seen that some says that it's normal but following the instructions provided I don't have a double boot now.

IronHands, the best thing to do is to F12 capture the bios area where the voltages are set and downsize the file so it will 'attach' to the forum and upload the pics. Only one other user in here that I know of that has that UD3P board and do not know if he will look in here or not. I don't use Giga but Asus CHV boards.

I know what bios in my CHV and Fatal1ty boards look like and I use offset voltage with about midway CPU_LLC so that the Vcore does not flucuate so much under load. But I do still use windows power manager to throttle my cpu back to about 1600MHz NOT loaded and then the voltage is 0.970V to the cpu.

Each brand bios is usually different. I know 'when' I see it what to do but not without seeing the bios. Well what to do by direction. The use of Offset Vcore does take some trial and error as will setting of CPU_LLC "if" that setting is in that cheaper boards bios.

RGone...

I don't know if I really needed too but when I started to up the voltage and change the loadline I went ahead and set all voltage settings to manual or however it's called but the 1.41875V for the CPU vcore is only one setting above the normal which is 1.41250V.
With these voltage setting set like this it's seems that I have a very stable clock of 4.4GHZ but I'm assuming I'll need to boost the voltage more if I want to do 4.5ghz or 4.6ghz so I'm thinking CPU Vcore and maybe the loadline is all that I need to adjust.

Last edited:
I_H where ever you think you are stable...

...then this is what we do to determine stability and if you wish further help with tweak of voltage or whatever...well this is the other 4 tools we use to see what is going on at your end.

Surely yes, you would have to raise Vcore when continuing a cpu UPclock. Voltage must rise to support cpu speed.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Your temps look good, so do volts. There's plenty of room to speed that puppy up if you're so inclined.

Only one other user in here that I know of that has that UD3P board and do not know if he will look in here or not.
If you're referring to me, ATM I'm not much help since I'm still running a Thuban in this board.

(Edit2: whoops probably not me, found Ghost P. and his 6300. Also Porozex. Well there's at least four people maybe, we're starting to get a sample size ;)

However... this motherboard randomly going into la la land at over 275 HTT + tax return money + impulse buy = FX-8370 (not E) ordered as of about 3 hours ago ;P

So I'll soon be joining this odyssey of FX on UD3P, especially since it's essentially going to be a full re-tune from the Thuban (assume nothing he says).

One thing to check off hand is Gigabyte finally released some bios updates for this board, albeit beta ones. I'm running F2g but there might be a newer version by now.

Be warned that updating the BIOS on these will nuke your settings and saved profiles, so be sure to write down or photograph your current settings before an update.

Edit Add:

RGone said:
In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent.
I always forget this myself, but if you press ALT+PrintScreen the active window will be what's screenshotted to the clipboard. Yea I had to look it up again but hey maybe you guys will remember and spread the knowledge unlike my senile self ;)

Last edited:
Hey I'm going for 4.5Ghz, I set my loadline to extreme and while running Prime95 and looking at HWMonitor CPU VCORE has no trouble hitting 1.500V. Is this OK? I think I'll try lowering the CPU volts but keep the loadline set to extreme...

I'm also having boot failure pretty much when I have Core Performance Boost on. So having that turned off seems to fine and I have no boot failure as I know I was told to have that turned off but I didn't think it would hurt to have it turned on.

As it is I'm going to go back to a medium loadline and just have my cpu voltage bumped up and do 4.4Ghz until I hear from some of you.

Also should I have every single setting set to manual in the bios like the HT and FSB and like the memory MHz? Or is it ok or fine to have them set to auto?

It Also looks like I'm going back to the drawing board all together any way, the 4.4Ghz clock that I had with the loadline set to medium and the cpu voltage pumped up one time is not so stable now. So all I know to do is pumped the cpu voltage up more and I'm going to keep the loadline set at medium for 4.4ghz.

By the way 4.5ghz with the load line set to extreme seemed to be stable with no worries. I just want to say I've only been trying medium and extreme loadline settings and not low, standard, normal and auto. I trying to get a good understanding how the loadline works or what is best for me at lease.

I also want to say I'm going for max 24/7 O/C and I didn't know if 1.5V on the CPU is OK for 24/7 but I don't know much at all but I'm trying.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous...

...This GA-970A-UD3P rev 1.0 << Has already changed to Rev 2.0 and the board has not been in the market here in the Usa but maybe nearly 2 months or a little. When I actually did work for a mobo company, they (most others too) did not release another PCB Revision unless there was something that had to be physically fixed. Cost too much money to do a real PCB Revision and change the mobo revision unless it was a must. Giga has been releasing one after the other revisons to their AM3+ motherboards. I just don't get it. And each release has not been for the better of the purchaser.

RGone...

I_H said:
Hey I'm going for 4.5Ghz, I set my loadline to extreme and while running Prime95 and looking at HWMonitor CPU VCORE has no trouble hitting 1.500V. Is this OK? I think I'll try lowering the CPU volts but keep the loadline set to extreme... << 1.5Vcore for extended periods of time for "only" 4.5Ghz is to my mind TOO high and should not be needed unless you have the worst FX cpu we have seen all history. Probably lately with newer FX-8350 1.48Vcore would be good for 4.8Ghz stable.

I'm also having boot failure pretty much when I have Core Performance Boost on. So having that turned off seems to fine and I have no boot failure as I know I was told to have that turned off but I didn't think it would hurt to have it turned on. << That might be so since you have C6 disabled and Core Performance Boost is supposed to be Giga's name for AMD TurboCore or so was made to believe. If you have C6 disabled it might cause an issue with enabling CPB. I do n0t run TurboCore on my Asus motherboards.

As it is I'm going to go back to a medium loadline and just have my cpu voltage bumped up and do 4.4Ghz until I hear from some of you. << The way that most setup LLC which is load line callbration, is to set CPU_LLC so that the voltage I have manually set for the cpu is the voltage I "see" when it is under load. No huge jump in cpu Vcore under load nor a big drop in Vcore when under load.

Okay how I use my CHV-Z and non-z Asus AM3+ motherboard as regards CPU Vcore.
1. I find the voltage the cpu tells the motherboard it needs to have to run.
2. I find out what is the actual CPU Vcore need to be P95 Blend mode stable for 2 hours.
3. Then I subtract the voltage the cpu is wired to from the P95 Blend mode Vcore and the "difference" I put into ADD Offset Vcore. That makes it where the needed voltage to cpu is supplied until heavy load comes on and then Offset Vcore adds the amount to support the loaded overclock.
4. Now to make the Vcore more stable, I adjust CPU_LLC aKa Load Line Calibration so that when the LOAD comes on the Vcore does not spike a mile beyond the P95 Blend voltage being supplied by Offset Vcore and neither does the Vcore fall dramatically under load.
5. Now I have all that sorted above and THEN I go and turn C1/C1E and Cool N Quiet back on and go into the windows power manager and set "balanced" with Idle state as 15% and Cooling management to Active and Cpu Full On state to 100%.
6. After all of that this is how my cpu runs:
A. At idle the CPU speed is ~1600Mhz @0.960 Vcore.
B. Under load the CPU speed is 4715Mhz @1.392 Vcore.

Now that is how most of us that use the top of the line Sabertooth and CHV boards from Asus, setup our 8 core FX processors to run. Or very close to something like that so the cpu is not running so fast and SO HOT all the time even when to under any load that requires the CPU to get its booty to work.

I am certain there are other boards that in some manner can duplicate such workings since I remember helping at least 5 or 6 users get setup that way in threads in the CPU or Motherboard AMD sections. But it takes a little attention to the details and keeping records of voltages to set the voltages so they can adjust themselves according to load on CPU and yet not throttle when loaded heavily. I am typing this in the forum right now at 1600Mhz with Vcore of 0.960. I can quickly open an app to throw some load on the processor and it will "immediately" jump to 4.715Ghz at 1.392V to the cpu. I see no really logical way other than like this to run and not be hot all the time and drawing power out of my wall outlet at a big rate all the time. Should make my board and all last longer as well. YMMV.

RGone...

Last edited:
yea I know about the 2.0 it has a different audio chip and they show a different bios for it also but I don't know if I can use it. I'm using the f2g bios or whatever. The 2.0 has a FA bios... Like with any revision I wish I had the latest and the latest right now for the 970 from gigabyte is 2.0. But other then the audio chip I don't see any other difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 but the black scheme box looks really cool :)

If they have restarted the bios numbering back to FA on the Rev 2.0 board, then I certainly would not flash it on your Rev 1.0 board. Probably dork the bios of the board and the board since the bios of Rev 2.0 is supporting that new audio stuff.

When most companies change revision of the supposed same mobo, they keep what changed pretty close to their chest. They do not wish to hear a bunch of people wanting the newer revision and one of the main reasons all these boards carry a disclaimer that says >> specifications subject to change without notice or recourse.

RGone...

the setup you have for your CPU going to idle to needing more power seems great.

As it is I decided to just set my loadline to extreme and do 4.5Ghz with my cpu volts at the default value. With Prime95 running and looking at HWMonitor my cpu vcore seems to be doing 1.488 V. When I close Prime95 cpu vcore goes to 1.428 V.

I'm just going to leave it like this and do some thinking on how I can lower my cpu volts and still keep an reliable clock at 4.5ghz.

I feel that I understand how you have your O/C setup but how do you do -"Under load the CPU speed is 4715Mhz @1.392 Vcore"-

That really seems very good and as it looks like when I'm under load I can't get a stable clock unless I do 1.488V for the cpu at 4.5ghz...

I'm going to continue finding a higher clock like 4.6ghz and so on.

I feel that I understand how you have your O/C setup but how do you do -"Under load the CPU speed is 4715Mhz @1.392 Vcore"- << The multiplier and FSB are set for 4715Mhz and when windows 'balanced' mode and Cool N Quiet combine to drop the multipler when unloaded...well the cpu is just throttled back to the 15% Idle speed load I set in windows power manger.

RGone...

Oo maybe I'll try to do the same thing then or something similar after I find my highest possible O/C.
It was too time consuming to me trying to aim for lower cpu volts with the 4.4ghz or 4.5ghz clock, so for now I'll leave loadline set to maximum but I still want to try the other loadlines.

Back