• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E2200 too crappy for 1080P Youtube?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

My elderly neighbor who I care about very much bought (and was ripped off for) an E2200 system with 1X2 and 1X1GB DDR 2 (667?). On Youtube, when playing at 1080P, the video stutters, despite being buffered.
She's running Win 8.1 X64.

I noticed she had no case fan (headbang) and was running off the terrible even for the time onboard graphics via VGA to her very decent monitor, so I gave her my 8800GTS 512 that I wasn't using so she can atleast connect via DVI. So now she's getting a better picture. I gave her a case fan as well.

I'm trying to convince her to shell out $200 for a new CPU/board/RAM so her computer won't suck any more.

Does anybody else have playback issues with 1080P streaming video on their E2200?

Also, I noticed in CPU-Z that her vcore was a little high for a stock CPU, around 1.35V. Whoever built this thing for her is a knob. I'm afraid to touch anything in bios since the system is so old and so important to her.

It should do fine for netflix at 1080p, just the onboard was probably so horrible that it couldn't handle it. It may be the mismatched ram as well, since she can't run in dual channel (I'd assume), effectively bottlenecking both CPU and integrated GPU.

1080p works well now on the 8800 then?

It should do fine for netflix at 1080p, just the onboard was probably so horrible that it couldn't handle it. It may be the mismatched ram as well, since she can't run in dual channel (I'd assume), effectively bottlenecking both CPU and integrated GPU.

1080p works well now on the 8800 then?

No, that's the thing. On the 8800 1080P youtube is STILL choppy. I can't figure it out. She's not running dual channel RAM but I don't think that alone would choke out youtube like this.

I wonder if it's the absolute rock bottom Ronny power supply. It's a Diablotek from 2006. Shockingly, it still works.

No, that's the thing. On the 8800 1080P youtube is STILL choppy. I can't figure it out. She's not running dual channel RAM but I don't think that alone would choke out youtube like this.

I wonder if it's the absolute rock bottom Ronny power supply. It's a Diablotek from 2006. Shockingly, it still works.

OMG! That's a scary thought. Yea, it could certainly be the PSU (ironically, as I went to type psu, my fingers automatically defaulted to "pos". Not entirely a typo, lol).

Was a fresh OS install done before she got it? Maybe there's bloatware or something highjacking resources? It still could be the RAM too, but I think I would save that troubleshooting step for after checking the PSU and for bloatware/viri/etc.

two slots of DDR2 memory, and only 3g for a 64bit OS? that sounds like the culprit right there.

two slots of DDR2 memory, and only 3g for a 64bit OS? that sounds like the culprit right there.

I figured it was likely this or the fact that she's running a bottom end PSU and it was wearing on the CPU.

I'm trying to convince her to let me build her a new system with 8 gigs of RAM and an SSD. She's 90% convinced.

Want to know if its a lack memory? Look. See if its paging out a lot. But the "number of slots" really doesn;t have much to do with it. 4GB is plenty for an internet machine. 2GB may be pushing it. 8GB for what these uses are is a waste of someone else's cash.

PSUs dont "wear on" the CPU nor cause choppyness. They work, or they don't peeps.

Want to know if its a lack memory? Look. See if its paging out a lot. But the "number of slots" really doesn;t have much to do with it. 4GB is plenty for an internet machine. 2GB may be pushing it. 8GB for what these uses are is a waste of someone else's cash.

PSUs dont "wear on" the CPU nor cause choppyness. They work, or they don't peeps.

She asked for 8GB She literally has 150 browser tabs going most of the time.

Update: Ok I was just up there. When I monitor system usage, I see that 1080P youtube playback sends the CPU usage to 100% and pins it there. This appears to be the issue.

Assuming it's using Flash, right-click the Flash video window and ensure hardware acceleration is enabled; without it, the CPU will have to do the donkey work, with it, the GPU should kick in.

Probably dependent on the browser and capabilities detection methods used, cookies and the cached (and cloud - Youtube is Google owned) data; right-click a video, you'll find out what it's currently using.

was about to ask what browser you were using, he beat me to it lol.
but yeah sounds like some kind of driver issues or something because i ran an e2180 in one of my htpc's until not too long ago and it played 1080 youtube fine as well as played blu-rays fine.
unless shes running out of memory that could do it too.

Definitely not running out of memory.

Could it be as simple as the last moron who worked on it and upgraded it to 8.1 not installing the INF or something like that?

She's using Chrome.

Last edited:
Chrome > Settings > Advanced > System > Use hardware acceleration when available is checked?

3GB RAM and 145 Chrome tabs means a lot of paging is happening, check the page/hard faults in Task Manager/Resource Monitor.

W7, 8GB, Chrome freshly loaded to the login tab + Settings, a 3GB machine is likely to use less memory but more paging:

Chrome2tabsW7_8GB.jpg

That's over half a GB of RAM just to check Chrome's settings, it might be worth checking how much RAM/paging is in use on the E2200 with Chrome and 145 tabs opened?

Chrome > Settings > Advanced > System > Use hardware acceleration when available is checked?

3GB RAM and 145 Chrome tabs means a lot of paging is happening, check the page/hard faults in Task Manager/Resource Monitor.

W7, 8GB, Chrome freshly loaded to the login tab + Settings, a 3GB machine is likely to use less memory but more paging:

View attachment 160355

That's over half a GB of RAM just to check Chrome's settings, it might be worth checking how much RAM/paging is in use on the E2200 with Chrome and 145 tabs opened?

Agreed, not convinced that RAM isn't the issue here...

Well IDK what to do with this dinosaur... I don't have replacement RAM and I don't feel Core 2 era Pentium is worth running at this point. I'm just going to suggest a new system.

You could begin by reporting back on the settings and resource usage, maybe compare using a lighter-weight browser, Pale Moon x86, for example (test each browser after a reboot for a decent comparison)?

If you could keep it usable for a few more months, it would allow the owner time to save for a worthwhile upgrade.

Back