• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom PC Case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MortalMan

Overclocked a Computer Submerged, In Horse Laxativ
So right now I have my pc tower immersed in mineral oil in a plastic bucket. I think I could do better.

Does anyone know of any pc cases built specifically for immersion cooling besides the pugetsystems plastic tiny fishtank? I find that if you have less than 15 gallons of mineral oil the oil will eventually heat up faster than the heat can escape into the air.

Are there any companies out there that makes custom pc cases out of sheet metal or something along those lines?

I find that if you have less than 15 gallons of mineral oil the oil will eventually heat up faster than the heat can escape into the air.
We mentioned that in your other thread IIRC, yep.

A fish tank is what I would use.

If being submerged, would the case not be an extranious piece? Perhaps a dedicated fish tank that suits the size you need would be better?

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

No no no, I said "besides the pugetsystems plastic tiny fishtank?" That tiny fishtank just doesn't hold enough mineral oil to keep everything cool without the massive expensive loud radiator in the back.

We mentioned that in your other thread IIRC, yep.

A fish tank is what I would use.

It's already built and sitting in a plastic tub. I'm replying to this message with my immersion project now.
The problem with a fishtank is that it's usually made of glass. A custom metal immersion tank will allow the heat built up in the oil to escape outside the tank much much quicker.

Oops. My bad. I could have sworn that wasn't there. Point being, do your own thing. I don't think you need some specific built thing. Just as long as it holds what you need it to hold.

Custom make your own metal tub or have someone custom make it for you...Hopefully its surface area is enough to dissipate the needed heat for this setup. Perhaps make it out of copper for best results (but more money than aluminum). It couldn't be too much $ to have it custom made by a shop...

Last edited:
Don't even have to go as far as a custom box. Google 'aluminum storage box'. The choices are amazing... and cheap. Think aluminium truck/trailer box. ;)

Steel garbage can and some caulk. DONE.

That about the same quality case I'm using now lol... A pc tower in a plastic tub.

Custom make your own metal tub or have someone custom make it for you...Hopefully its surface area is enough to dissipate the needed heat for this setup. Perhaps make it out of copper for best results (but more money than aluminum). It couldn't be too much $ to have it custom made by a shop...

I already know this will work. If it works through my plastic case it will work with an aluminum case.

Does anyone know of any metal shops that make custom pc cases? Google is not helping me.

Oh, I thought you said it didn't in its current plastic case:
I find that if you have less than 15 gallons of mineral oil the oil will eventually heat up faster than the heat can escape into the air.

Anyway, it would be good to list your location... maybe then we can help better? I'm certain you wouldn't want to pay to ship a heavy arse metal case across the country... :)

Oh, I thought you said it didn't in its current plastic case:

Anyway, it would be good to list your location... maybe then we can help better? I'm certain you wouldn't want to pay to ship a heavy arse metal case across the country... :)

I'm currently in Rhode Island, and I think it's obvious I have more money than I have brains. I did spend over $400 on horse laxative afterall...

For anyone that's wondering, yes putting your pc in mineral oil works. Literally just put your entire pc tower in a plastic tub filled with mineral oil and it will work fine.

MortalMan, I've been wondering, for quite some time actually. Are you're temps really any better than a custom water loop? Maybe I'm just missing my mark here and I mean no offence, but if the mineral spirits are at ambient room temperature you'll never get lower than a few degrees above that ambient temp. It's really the same as water cooling.

Is it just to make it more quiet? There are plenty of near silent fans available and many of them are adequate for radiators. So why not just build a Kick Butt W/C rig?

OR. Is it just because you can? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for crazy builds. It just seems to be way to inconvenient if you need to access your rig. Plugging in USB's not to mention CD/DVD's. In fact I'd be very surprised if an ODD would spin at all in liquid. Powering the rig on/off. Just seems way to much hassle and it's done just to say that you've done it.

Please feel let me know if I'm off on any of these points.

Temps are only very slightly better than a waterloop. If you want to do a mineral oil pc you're doing it just to have something different.
It's not as good as liquid nitrogen cooling, and it's only slightly better than a very good water cooling system.

Heat travels faster through mineral oil than it does through air.

Yes, it does run quieter. Actually completely silent before I installed another fan over the top of the heatsink above the oil, but I can shut that off and still not get close to overheating.

I don't have any optical drives, and I'm using an SSD harddrive.

More information can be found in my original post here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...orse-Laxative-4-5Ghz?highlight=horse+laxative.

As of right now I got my cpu benchmarked at 4.9Ghz without changing the blk.

http://hwbot.org/xtu/download/172562

873 marks, or whatever the heck that means..

http://hwbot.org/xtu/analyze/2775633

Back