• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Push to connect fittings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A couple of the bigger water block manufacturers used them back in the day. Nobody does anymore. I assume that was for a reason. I usually replaced them because of pressure popoff/leak factor. Matter of fact, in my industry, I usually replace them because of leak factor. We run across them used in the air brake systems of out heavy trucks and equipment. When they go bad, which is frequently, we switch them out to standard air line compression fittings.

They have the sizes used in PC computing.
I can't really speak to the leak issue... I've only used them with air... I can appreciate the need for 100% leak free in a PC

I doubt any PC system would cause them to pop apart... rated at 150psi

I used thousands of them in many custom packaging machines... nothing life threatening in the event of failure, not that there ever were failures.

So we're assuming they leak...? I'm surprised, I have to say, the commonplace use of PEX connectors in new construction is basicly the same tech, and any leaks would not be tolerated.

Maybe I'll make up a test rig and see what happens over long periods of time.

PEX and irrigation systems usually don't use expensive connections like that. They use mostly barbs and a metal hogring type crush clamp. I work in the construction industry. We do all this stuff, so I'm not unfamiliar.

Yep, the ones made for what we do... that is cheap though.. the QDC's I bought were like $25 a piece!!!

Yeah...me, too. :/ Prices on quick disconnects seem to have plunged since I stocked up.

The brand I use is called a shark bite, The tech's were I work use them for emergencies all the time.

Actually have a tee connection in my gamer using these, Over 2 years old, no leaks (Did lose a radiator though) :(

Simply an o-ring with a stainless retaining ring

For PC water cooling just about anything will work as the pressures are so low, anything used for domestic water supply will not only work it is more than likely more than you need

They are expensive little buggers though

Sharkbite is what I was referring to... If you buy into their marketing, you can do anything and everything plumbing related with their products, of which there are many.

So I guess this thread is food for thought as this type of connector is widely available and somewhere in the neighborhood of half the price of the PC specific stuff.

Have a nice day :)

I have those push in type fitting throughout my semi truck for air fittings that handle 120psi+, the higher the PIS the tighter they seal, so for a low pressure water cooling system I don't think they would seal properly, although imagine they differ some from the version I use, but thought I'd throw that out there.

That's a good point...

but they're also rated for vacuum, which sortof adds to the confusion.

I'm just going to have to try it out.

ive never seen these leak. Ive used lots in commercial, domestic and industrial plumbing.

Sharkbites are a little nicer and work on a huge variety on tubing types.

these tings seal on the inner and outer side of the tubing usually so failure tends to be due to inadequately inserting the tubing.

Back