• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On the sly gaming HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Finished up my HTPC build this week. Rather its been in a working state for a long time, and i made the final cooling and storage upgrades to it. I use it for gaming primarily, and the need for portability and low size/weight were the driving factors on making it slim.

Silverstone ML03 case (USB3 front ports!)
Asus A88XM-Plus (this board can overclock the APU's GPU)
Kaveri 7850K @ 4.2
Noctua NH-L12 (so quiet!) Can't fit the 120mm fan in this case though, just the 90mm.
Low Profile XFX R7 250 2GB (for dual graphics) running the memory at 2400 to match the APU
8GB DDR3 @ 2400
Crucial MX100 128GB SSD

So I just moved everything from the old hard drive to the SSD and installed the Noctua. I was able to up the CPU overclock by 400mhz (so far) and the integrated GPU just enough to match the R7's clock speed. This is by no means a high end gaming system, but it plays my game (FFXIV) at a decent enough frame rate. And it can netflix just fine.

I realize now that my design choice probably could have gone with an i-3 and a 7950, as I think that's currently the fastest low profile graphics card and cost & performance probably would have been a little better. But what can I say, its been a long time since I've played with AMD hardware and I really wanted to try out the dual graphics build, and needed the overclocking features. I spent around $350-$400 when i put it together last year, and just got the SSD and HSF with credit card rewards points.

Last edited:
I realize now that my design choice probably could have gone with an i-3 and a 7950, as I think that's currently the fastest low profile graphics card and cost & performance probably would have been a little better.

I think you meant 7750 low profile, not 7950 (no low profile option), what I have. If you want something that's not humongous while still giving you options, look into this Sentey Case. it supports micro-atx and full VGA cards. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJ6FVH2?psc=1

Back