• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Widow Switch and LED replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Denyingchaos

Registered
Hey all I Just recently acquired a Razor Black Widow Ultimate 2013 thats in need of some lovin. What better way to show that love then to mod it out. The poor thing has seen better days, three of the switches are broken and the top bezel is broke from the previous owner trying to take it apart. Im thinking of replacing the cherry blues with browns and and doing something crazy with the LED color layout. Has anyone tackled this kind of project? I found the switches, but Im unsure if the one Im looking at will work. Also some specs on the LEDs are nice. I dont buy Razor for the simple fact the last time I tried to contact them, it took 2 weeks to respond with a rude answer.

On another note I have a old School Acros 6311-B Im looking into modding as well.

Thanks

Hello Denyingchaos,

Switch modding is a fairly difficult task; it takes precision and very nimble fingers :thup:
I have replaced many switches on my Corsair K70, but never gone so far as to change the type.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but most manufacturers of mech keyboards design the keyboard to specifically support on type of switch for optimal use.
But, since nobody want to pay an extra hundred dollars to buy a new keyboard, hey, why not just try and change the switches.

I cannot tell you what issues you may face in trying to change to a different switch type,
but I did find this informative video a while ago that you may find useful too:

Good luck on your project!

Thanks so much for the vid...The keyboard was given to me and its in quite rough shape. The person tried to take it apart when some of the switches went bad and broke the outer casing. I quickly took it when he asked if i wanted it because well...it IS free. I beleive I can repair the plastic and the switch replacement it easy...Toss on a nice coat of Plasti Coat and I beleive it will be good to go. From my research I have found that the blue and the brown cherry switches have the same design and mounting for the factory LED, so thats not bad. But I still cant find any information on the LEDs so I can do a partial color change as well. This is going to be a long and tedious project, but i beleive if I can pull it off it will be well worth it. I just want top make sure I have all my ducks in a row before buying parts and tearing into it...Thanks again.

Hey all I Just recently acquired a Razor Black Widow Ultimate 2013 thats in need of some lovin. What better way to show that love then to mod it out. The poor thing has seen better days, three of the switches are broken and the top bezel is broke from the previous owner trying to take it apart. Im thinking of replacing the cherry blues with browns and and doing something crazy with the LED color layout. Has anyone tackled this kind of project? I found the switches, but Im unsure if the one Im looking at will work. Also some specs on the LEDs are nice. I dont buy Razor for the simple fact the last time I tried to contact them, it took 2 weeks to respond with a rude answer.

On another note I have a old School Acros 6311-B Im looking into modding as well.

Thanks
Reading this thread has me rather worried as I just bought one of these last week.

Errr

Back