• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmbraceTheHate

Hey guys im trying to OC my Msi r9 270 gaming edition. From what i have seen this card likes to be OC'd. First things first im using the Msi afterburner program, ive seen a few screenshots of people going all the way up to 1100mhz on the core clock but im only able to max it at 1050. Once more thing with the core clock at 975mhz and the memory at 1400mhz im already seeing 71 degrees Celsius in the Heaven Benchmark. Am i doing something wrong or what??? On stock speeds in Heaven i hit about 64 celsius. Now when i close Heaven the Msi kombuster software is saying im right around 59 celsius.

I love this card so far, it would be great to get a few more ponies out of her if possible. Thanks

Also just thinking a bit. Could my PSU handle another r9 270 to crossfire??

Your PSU shouldn't have a problem with a second.

I had a 270 and I couldn't even get mine to OC over 1010Mhz on the core clock. Temps should be fine but I did notice a dramatic decrease when I replaced the TIM on my 270.

Your PSU shouldn't have a problem with a second.

I had a 270 and I couldn't even get mine to OC over 1010Mhz on the core clock. Temps should be fine but I did notice a dramatic decrease when I replaced the TIM on my 270.

Great thats good news about the psu. In a few games ive seen the fps almost double. Ive also seen hardly a difference.

Anyways excuse my ignorance but what is the TIM??

Thermal Interface Material. Thermal paste.

I'd scrap the 2 270 idea and get a better single card if I was you...while CFx and SLI generally work well, sometimes it takes tweaking and messing around to get proper scaling/things working right. It may be more trouble than it is worth for someone that is 'green' with PCs.

Ah thats what i was kinda figuring. Im happy with the card just wanted a lil more lol. Thanks guys. Ill try to oc it a bit.

BUT instead on getting a second why not just go with the 960. It's only about $50 more than a 270 and would give you better performance

Ill look into it. Ive only had this card for about a month. Was thinking i needed to upgrade the cpu before anything. I wasnt really familiar with the nvidia cards when i was purchasing, which i regret a bit now....

Ok guys so i started overclocking everything is going fine so far. Here is my results:

Im using the Heaven benchmark its running 1080p Ultra 8x AA

Stock Clocks

Core: 955
Memory: 1400

Score: 626

My tweaks

Core: 1050
Memory: 1500
Power Limit +20

Score: 718

Never went past 71c either, thats with the fan only on 25%! Still can barely hear it!

Im pretty happy but from what ive read it really picks up when you go to 1100mhz on the core clock. Problem is Msi afterburner only will allow me 1050mhz tops.

Ive read this article
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

I tried it, but i dont have a clue on how to edit CFG files. I looked on youtube, but i still cannot grasp it. Any ideas?

Thats a good OC. I wouldn't start messing with the CFG files. I somewhat bricked my old 270 messing around with it but was able to fix it but was a pain. Just stick with what you have till you are able to upgrade.

You can't brick a card (unless you overclock too far) with changing MSI AB's config file. But those instructions are pretty straightforward. Where are you having trouble with changing it?

You can't brick a card (unless you overclock too far) with changing MSI AB's config file. But those instructions are pretty straightforward. Where are you having trouble with changing it?

LOL I completely misread what he was talking about changing. My bad.

Well i type it in like it says but i dont know how to save it like that, to actually change the file. I open it with notepad.

Shouldn't be... its not a windows app. You just edit the config file and save it to the same location.

Did you try the simple check box in MSI AB General tab?

Shouldn't be... its not a windows app. You just edit the config file and save it to the same location.

Did you try the simple check box in MSI AB General tab?
It says file already exists do you want to replace it? I click yes, then it says access denied.
I will look into the check box after work today. Thanks

Try doing a save as, have it as a new file. rename the original to something else, and rename the save as to the original.

Never had to play these games.

Have you hit the limit in AB with your card?

Back