• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Agent Switcher on Mozilla-type browser was screwing up everything

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Maybe someone is able/willing to give some good hint how to get ride of the issue.

The issue is: Currently i dont use Adobe Flash Player anymore because of security issues. Some weeks ago the Devs even was recommending to uninstall the Flash Player because a critical Security Exploit (a PC can be totally compromised just by clicking a website) found and there was no fix for many days. Stuff like this happens a lot on any Flash player or Java so i try to avoid.

However, although Youtube is finally using the more secure HTML5 standart, so no Flash required anymore, some other websites such as this one are still using it: http://www.srf.ch/
A website i use rather rarely, sometimes some good stuff found but Video wont work without flash. There is one exception: In term someone is using a mobile device such as Iphone or Ipad, they can use a HTML5 video standart. The website works in such a way that it will simply detect the used browser-agent because every device got a certain agent-mode, PC got a own agent. In that term when a PC is acessing it the website will only offer Adobe Flash, and for Ipad HTM5 will be offered, why they dont offer it for PC is because they apparently got cash from Kaspersky or something like that. ;)

Now, in theory a browser can be switched to another agent because most browsers are multi-device compatible. So the website will offer a HTML5 standart, in term such a switch would be working properly it could be useful but the issue is, any stuff i found so far was simply useless so i actually installed only one of them. Recently i used this agent switcher http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/, for Waterfox/Firefox but the tool seems so terribly outdated and incomplete that it was screwing up my whole browser and i am unable to reset my browser to the previous initial condition. Something has been done to the browser that is unable to be recovered by usual means. Now the switcher was only partially working and the SRF website is now always detecting my browser as a "Mobile Browser" but still unable to use HTML5, weird situation.

Finally, browser (Waterfox) is screwed up and im not sure how to solve the issue. Worst case have to reset everything but i currently dont know where the settings is stored, the stored setting is the reason i have something screwed up, and i dunno how to do the trick. Reinstalling browser or so wont help at all, because the settings are stored and never removed, i lack to find a option to reset or removing it.

I am not sure if a agent switcher is actually a good deal at all, because a PC is like a "bag of possible exploits" and in term a "mobile type browser" is used the security will be lowered. However, all i will truly need is a chameleon browser that is telling those stupid websites "hey i am a baby phone", without changing any other security specs.

The block-auto-play could be promising, at least on my gamer and browsing PC, but not on the high security data file PC. But i dont need it there anyway so it would be a good option on the browsing PCs, so thanks for hint.

The question is how to reset my Waterfox browser so it wont be screwed up anymore or simply how to fix the screwed condition...
Screwed up means: Settings is destroyed. Why, i was trying to explain, as well the tool (addon) used.

Guess in future i should make a backup of the settings before using risky addons.

Last edited:
The question is how to reset my Waterfox browser so it wont be screwed up anymore or simply how to fix the screwed condition...
Screwed up means: Settings is destroyed. Why, i was trying to explain, as well the tool (addon) used.

Guess in future i should make a backup of the settings before using risky addons.

ok. why waterfox and not firefox?
I create a Firefox profile in a custom folder. After setting up Firefox just like I like it to be, I make a backup of my profile folder.
When something goes wrong, I simply copy-paste my perfectly working backup.

I tried but i cant find the issue on "user set" entrys. Default entrys are pointless anyway.
ok. why waterfox and not firefox?
Because i cant see the point using a 32 bit program on a 64 bit system but apart from that both are more or less the same with some pros and cons. Waterfox may run a bit faster but i dont think speed does matter at all, security and utility is the powerful spot. Mozilla based browsers are utility browsers with a huge choice of addons that can truly make my browsing life much easyer and with added options in many cases, although current IE is probably most secure one.

Weird enough, issue seems to be solved because the site is now working properly again without "mobile detection". All i did is removing any cookie i found related to the site. But i am almost sure i was already trying it in the past and it didnt work. Maybe i missed the entry the first time i tried. I guess i shouldnt play around with risky addons anymore and always backing up my settings first, but not sure what location settings are stored.

Last edited:
But What's advanatges would a 64-bit browser give you specifically?

Firefox Options

* Start Menu > Run... >
firefox.exe -profilemanager -no-remote
> OK
Create Profile... > Next > Enter new profile name, select Folder location > OK > Finish >
make sure the newly created profile name is selected > Start Firefox.

Back