• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time doing rig builds.Feel free to drop some productive idea :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

First and all I want to say Hi ! to everyone,It's my 1st thread aside from the newcomers welcome thread.
Recently I am thinking on some new builds since my PC can't support for the featured that is needed for today and future gaming and etc.Thus i am looking all over in the internet,friend and shop retailer to surveys the prices of those and in the end I come up with a builds which is showed at below.Please be humble to correct my mistake and tell me how to fixed it :D senpai.

CPU=Intel® Core™ i7-4790K =done
MOBO=ASRock Z97 Extreme 6=done
cooling sys=CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm=Done
ram=8 GB (4GB x2)Corsair DDR3-1866mhz.
Graphic card=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970=Picked a stock or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=nvidia_gefore_gtx_970-_-14-487-076-_-Product
SSD=Samsung Evo 850 250GB
HDD=1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM=done
OS=Microsoft Windows 8 Home Premium=done
Case=Cooler Master Elite 430=done
power Supply=seasonic G550=done
Monitor=BenQ GL2450

Last edited:
I like the CM Glacier better than the H100i if going with AIO ?

Case is kinda what you like, to subjective, but personally like the Corsair 540

Quality 550 is all you will need

Go with the ex6 , better value for what you are doing

just noticed the 128 GB, if you can swing it get a larger one so you can use it for a few favorite games

Hi witch doctor,thanks you for the review.
It is CM Glacier 360L ?
550w PSU checked.
Not really swinging with 128GB since i am on budget builds.Should i really going for 128gb?

The 240 CM Glacier

eVGA / Superflower / seasonic are good power supplies

Bottom line is with a 128GB for the OS, there is not a lot of room left for games

If larger M.2 does not fit into the budget it is still a good idea to have it for the OS and Office

For your needs, I would get the Ex6 over any ROG board. You would be paying for options you wouldn't be using on the ROG essentially.

I also agree with 128GB SSD or greater... and a standard SSD, not PCIe. They can be a pain at times... not good for someone new potentially.

Seasonic G550 is a great PSU..plenty for that build - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...51119&cm_re=Seasonic_G-_-17-151-119-_-Product

16GB is a lot of ram out of the gate. If it means getting a bigger SSD, I would get 8GB (2x4GB) now, then upgrade when/if needed in a year or two.

A sata 3 250gb SSD?Which should i picked?
grab that PSU
corsair vengeance (2x4GB) 8GB 1866mhz is this sufficient ?

Samsung 850 Evo would be my choice... OCZ Arc100, or an Intel 730 drive.

2x4GB 1866 sounds good to me!!

1 250GB. There is no point, to me, for a RAID setup unless you can actually utilize the extra bandwidth/read speed...

Don't pick a stock GTX 970. It will be louder and run hotter. Pick up a card with a nice aftermarket cooler like a Strix, Twin Frozr, ACX 2.0, Windforce, etc etc.
The case you have selected does not leave much room for an ALC liquid cooler to be installed. I would pick a case with more "roof space" like a Corsair 730T or 760T.
Why not look into a large air heatsink instead like an NHD14?

GPU

Don't pick a stock GTX 970. It will be louder and run hotter. Pick up a card with a nice aftermarket cooler like a Strix, Twin Frozr, ACX 2.0, Windforce, etc etc.
The case you have selected does not leave much room for an ALC liquid cooler to be installed. I would pick a case with more "roof space" like a Corsair 730T or 760T.
Why not look into a large air heatsink instead like an NHD14?

Going For the GTX 970 EVGA SuperClocked Edition if nothing goes wrong.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=nvidia_gefore_gtx_970-_-14-487-076-_-Product

For me it is not as much the cooler than the PCB quality and power layout

SC is a reference board

You also benchmark and push every card you have to its limits and, more or less require more robust PCB/Power bits. :)

The reference board with that cooler will be plenty for most people. Though one more jump up (FTW/FTW+), for a few more dollars, I believe gets you that custom PCB/better power bits if you(OP) choose. Confirm by looking up a review on it...

You also benchmark and push every card you have to its limits and, more or less require more robust PCB/Power bits. :)

The reference board with that cooler will be plenty for most people. Though one more jump up (FTW/FTW+), for a few more dollars, I believe gets you that custom PCB/better power bits if you(OP) choose. Confirm by looking up a review on it...

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...c-ssc-ftw-suffixes-mean-evga-video-cards.html>Do you mean this !?.If i Choose a FTW OR SC Card i needed to double check my cooling system and PSU.
Example If i go for a FTW ver gtx 970 with current set up can it runs great since this is a concerned part since normally played for 2~5 hours.

<SC is a reference board>Which you means!?Sorry I really not good at all this,Learning mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you need to double check the cooling and PSU?

1. Its the same ACX cooler.
2. Its the same card and the power differences are negligible.

EDIT: A reference board is one that NVIDIA made to meet requirements. Frequently, MSI, ASUS, EVGA, etc will make the board better in different ways such as more power parts to handle more power use. For most people, its a non issue. For those that want to squeeze every Mhz while overclocking, its worth the jump.

Agree, if he is not going to pound on the card a reference would be good enough.

Really like the Classy though

Back