• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Pricing out HD Projectors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmo_9000

Long story short, I need to price out two HD projectors for an institution that will be streaming an event. I already have the computer, we just need the displays.

The budget is $2600 for two projectors, two 25 foot HDMI cables, an HDMI splitter, and one screen (the other screen will be borrowed.)

They will be purchased in Canada. From the budget, I'm assuming we have about a grand per projector with $600 left over for other expenses that might arise. But tax will increase the cost by about 15% so they might have to be closer to $800 to $900. (Being able to output 1080p at 60hz will be a bonus)

I'm not sure where to start since I know practically nothing about what is good right now in the projector market. Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: At the moment, I'm looking at the BenQ W1070, which seems to get pretty good reviews, is on sale for $800, and can do 1080p at 60hz.

Last edited:
Might want to have a look at the high brightness large venue Optoma refurb options available at Consignia.ca.

Just ordered an HD131Xe refurb from them a couple days ago... while I've never bought from them before, they have a pretty good track record at resellerratings and I have bought an Optoma factory refurb before. My last one was an HD71. Bought it in December 2010, it showed up with a brand new lamp in it, and the lamp finally went Christmas Day 2014 with 3100 hours on it.

Had it apart for dust removal twice... as an electronics tech I tend to be pretty picky with stuff, so I checked it over both times for any issues. Never found any hint of a problem, which is why I'm expecting my second one next week :D

I ended up picking up two BenQ W1070's, along with two Elite Screen 109 inch manual screens. The W1070 seemed to be really popular in reddit on /r/projectors. The projectors are already here, we are expecting the screens in monday. But since they are coming to our home we are hoping they don't leave the screens out in the cold outside the house since no one will be here during the day.. You would expect $500 worth of screens would require a signature with UPS, but I've read stories of Amazon deliveries leaving $3500 TV's outside people's houses.

Yeah, the W1070 was going to be the one I got until my tax refund was less than it was supposed to be. I feel lucky to have gotten a new projector at all out of it, rather than just re-lamping the HD71.

109" should do the trick without ending up losing too much brightness from having to project an image too big. Depending on how big the room is and how much background lighting the projector has to compete with, of course.

Yes, I'm not the one that is setting up the background at the event. But it should be surrounded in black sheets behind and beside, and the windows will be covered up.

At home though it will be in a basement without windows, so it should be perfectly fine there.

Back