• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project log Budget Folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OptyTrooper

So I have not been very active lately as I was running X2 Opteron 4334 so I decided to build a new rig especially for folding.

So far I have ordered X2 Xeon 5520 8 cores 16 threads @ $64
SuperMicro X8DTN+ dual socket 1366. @ $160
8GB [2GB x 4] of Samsung DDR3 1333 ECC @ $100
x2 ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 @ $38.00

Stuff already have:
Asus R280 or GTX 460
500GB WD
BFG 650W PSU

What do you guys think?

That sounds nice Opty! It aughtta fold like mad. Not sure if the R280 or the GTX460 is the better folder. I'm sure someone will help out though.

I need to get a couple rigs going in the basement, folding points & a warm floor as a bonus. lol

I would be curious how many points the CPU part would make per day. I have been considering getting a GPU, but have realized I probably need a new rig to do this (no pci-e or no machines that could hold these oversized cards. I noticed you can pick up on ebay used servers with the system you are describing for 250-350 (less the GPU).

Any experience in how many points these Xeon will do?

Junebug

looks like that board has 2 pcie 2.0 x8 slots, why not throw in both cards?
torin3 has done the red/green mix and it looks like the driver install was pretty much plug and play.

UPS tracking says parts are in transit. I hate waiting.

Ah, the waiting is part of the fun. Nothing better than anticipation!!

"After a time,
you may find that having,
is not so pleasing a thing after all
as wanting.
It is not logical, but it is often true" - SPOCK

opty, it looks like that board will take 4 cards.

Looking at the board spec, it has 5 PCI-E slots. Opty should be able to run all 5 slots if he is willing to use PCI-E risers. 1X speed is good enough for folding.

I don't think that the multi core CPU's are doing that great any more are they? At any rate, FAH client likes to have one CPU core per GPU so you'll have lots of head room. I agree with the assessment that you can run both cards.

In terms of which card is the better folder:
The GTX 460. Is that the 1 GB version?
The 280. Is that the 280 or the 280x?

If you have the 280x, that card is hard to beat without going mad. If the 460 is the 786 MB version, it will struggle to keep up with other cards.

If running both, no problem. You'll be happy with the output.

Advice: For the Nvidia cards, keep with the 325.x drivers.

I don't think that the multi core CPU's are doing that great any more are they? At any rate, FAH client likes to have one CPU core per GPU so you'll have lots of head room. I agree with the assessment that you can run both cards.

In terms of which card is the better folder:
The GTX 460. Is that the 1 GB version?
The 280. Is that the 280 or the 280x?

If you have the 280x, that card is hard to beat without going mad. If the 460 is the 786 MB version, it will struggle to keep up with other cards.

If running both, no problem. You'll be happy with the output.

Advice: For the Nvidia cards, keep with the 325.x drivers.
Good to know about the CPU's I'm a bit out of the loop. As for the cards it's a regular 280 and the 460 is the 1GB. Looks like the board will get here today and the rest came yesterday. Regarding the multi-core CPU's I couldn't pass up two quads for 64 bones!

Back