• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q : 4790k oc on all cores or possible higher via turbo oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adrenalen

Registered
Hey Guys. So I'd like to know if it's fine if I disabled the thingy in my bios so all my cores work at the same speed (I'm at work now so don't know the exact name sorry. I'm a noob :) as for now only thing I did was put the multiplier to X46 and Vcore to 1.258 (this is where I can get this stable. Did not much testing yet got a PY-143 fan incomming) but how do most ppl oc, with all cores same speed or with turbo and descending multiplier's? Or how does this work when oc'ing the turbo thingies? Only have to mess with the Vcore also or?

Sorry for the noob Questions
Thx Len
Edit: when back at home I put rig in SIG.
I have the gigabyte z97x gaming5 mobo

6 of one, half dozen of the other. I OC with all cores and disable power savings.

Im a little confused though. You say in the first post that you have a P8P67 pro, then the giga...

(merged the similar threads, BTW).

Anyway, both boards are fine to overclock on. :)

Last edited:
6 of one, half dozen of the other. I OC with all cores and disable power savings.

Im a little confused though. You say in the first post that you have a P8P67 pro, then the giga...

(merged the similar threads, BTW).

Anyway, both boards are fine to overclock on. :)

^^^ +1 ^^^

you will have no problems, just watch temps

Hi! The gigabyte and 4790k is from me and the 2700k and p8p67 is from a friend :) thx for merging. Sorry to make 2 different threads, was thinking one belonged in mobo part and the other in CPU part :p

I followed the guide to oc my CPU from the has well oc guide here on overclockers. But I was a bit confused cause I read somewhere ppl oc by altering their turbo values?
I did this oc with the c states and EIST on just because I wanted to know max oc with those on. So I can set it a bit lower and adjust vcore to that for 24\7 use. Or am I doing things all wrong?

The name of the game is to hit your goal clockspeed, while keeping temps in order (for you under 85C while stress testing), and voltage in order (less than 1.4v 24/7). Typically you disable the power saving features while finding a stable overclock. Once you are stable, then enable power saving features and see if you still remain stable.

Ok! Will do it Like it should be done!
Was woried that if i got it stable and then enable power saving modes that it would be unstable and have to do the small ftt test for 8 hours again to get it stable again with best Vcore setting. Wanted to skip time :p When my new fan arives (TY-143 , versus the TY-147 that is on now) i have tot test if i can clock higher. Cause now i run into heat troubles.
Btw if I put 2 different fans with 1 allot less rpm on the same heatsink, does the one with lower rpm in pull config stop the air from the fan with most rpm in push config or doesn't matter if they have different speeds? Else I use the slower one just as another case fan.

And so there ain't no such OK thing to do to oc withbturbo multipliers enabled?

Thx allot! Sorry again for the noobQ's

Was woried that if i got it stable and then enable power saving modes that it would be unstable and have to do the small ftt test for 8 hours again to get it stable again with best Vcore setting. Wanted to skip time
Which is exactly why I said test with it off, then enable it. You should be good that way. :)

Cause now i run into heat troubles.
What temps are you hitting while stress testing? What cooler is on there?

You can go push pull if you choose. I would try to match RPM on the fan if possible, but it shouldn't hurt the slower fan assuming its not running faster than its rated speeds. Id just use a single fan. You shouldn't need more than that with a 2500K and moderate overclocks like you have listed.

Now around 90degrees celcius.
http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/true_spirit_140_power.html

But I am gonna put this fan on the heatsink.
http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/fan/ty-143.html?panel=1

I also ordered arctic silver mx5 because the paste I got with the heatsink... I spread it with a card and I have read that the droplet method is better. So I am going to renaplie that.

This is about the gigabyte gaming5 and the 4790k tho :)

My friend wanted to try and oc his 2700k this weekend.

Edit. Stupid I am working now and can not post screens :-\

That cooler is on it and you are hitting 90C at that low voltage?!!! Wow...

I would, without a doubt, remount that heatsink and put some new paste on as you are doing. I bet you could just do that and not have to buy another fan. That is a solid cooler, particularly for a 2500K...

Its on the 4790k and gigabyte z97x gaming 5 :)
Mmm this is probably why i started 2 different topics :-D
The first post with the 2700k and mobo is about the rig from my friend. Now i'm talking bout 2nd post in this thread with the overclocking :)

Separated them again... :)

EDIT: Or not..I obliterated it by accident. :(

Start another one when your friend is ready to overclock it. :)

Hahaha. Probably for the best :) Thx allot allready! I'll post screens later. But gonna have a late working day today do don't know if I make that today

Also, you don't need much TIM.
Like this is appropriate:
cpu-cooler-paste-100055115-large.png

I agree, no need for an extra fan, something else is the issue here.

licht.jpg IMG20150226200705.jpg

so i swapped out the paste with the new AS-5 and put up the new fan on the block ( forgot to mention meby ... first the fan was faced down to my gfx card meby that was why temps where so high )
i booted to bios, set the Vcore to 1.300 and tried to go X47 imediatly, worked out fine ^^

gotta get to bed now :/ wanted you guys to know :p
4.7gh 1.300v.png

Edit: took pictures of how the fan was before and after if you want ^^
just don't want to immediatly spam with pictures :/

Last edited:
Yeah, you want the blowing to the rear or top. You were essentially recycling the hot air. So that was part of the issue. AirFLOW is the key...

Generally:

Front/sides = intake
Top/rear = exhaust

4.7ghz nachtje.png

So i enabled all c stages and let it run overnight.
Should i try to get 4.8 out of it? Or just try to get stable with lower Vcore, I read that for devils canion its best to not go over 1.3v for 24/7 for electric dmg.
Edit: do my min and max voltages look OK?

Im not seeing the vcore listed on your second set of pictures. If it has not changed since the original set of pictures it is fine. The test you want to run in P95 is "blend" not small FFT. You used too much paste again, but it wasn't terrible. The credit card spread method is generally frowned upon here. You may see it suggested elsewhere but it really isn't any better.

You want the highest stable overclock on ALL cores possible. It's very simple to overclock Haswell up to about 4.4-4.6Ghz or so. All you need is vcore and multiplier. That's about it. You may also have to play with Load Line Calibration (LLC), which in simplest terms, is a feature that tries to bring your voltage values in Windows as close as possible to what you have input in the bios.

If this isn't how you're overclocking, I suggest that you reset bios defaults, disable power saving features, set RAM XMP1 profile, and start overclocking. KISS "Keep it simple/stupid" is the philosophy for Intel overclocking ever since socket 1155. Only "OC junkies" need to know more in depth tactics for high end overclocks.

Given that overclocking on Haswell, particularly the 4790K, is primarily an exercise in E-Peen elongation, and not done for the purpose of real world performance (content creators, 3D modelling people, video editors... they WILL notice a difference) you'd really be hard pressed to find a reason to stress your CPU by setting it any higher than 4.6Ghz or so. There's just no point to it. When we say "Yours is at 4.5? Well mine's at 4.8", we aren't saying that because we have mind blowing performance and you don't. We're saying it because we have E-Peen. It's like glancing at the 7'3 guy in the next urinal stall's equipment. Sure, he's got 4" on you, but does that mean he's any better at using it? Likely not.

Know what I mean?

I get carried away with analogies...

Do not change the fan on that thermalright cooler. Thermalright makes good fans and carefully mates the design of the fan and cooler for good performance.

Back