• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

this mobo OK to oc a 2700k from a friend of mine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's a good board. If you have access to Z77 boards though, these are more refined. If not, that's a fine board to play with. Keep in mind that with P67 there is no onboard graphics output so you will have to use a discrete GPU of some sort.

Look at an NHD14 for a heatsink. I've gotten my 2600K up damn near 1.45V on it and still had temp overhead to spare. You don't want to go past 1.45V on air anyways, so you'll be voltage limited before you are heat limited on that heatsink.

Make sure you update to the latest bios for that board. ASUS is pretty good at putting out fresh BIOS for a long time after a board comes out, especially with ROG, which this board is not, but it'll defintely have a newer bios than what you're going to get out of the box.

!!! Make 100 000% sure that you are getting a "revision B3" motherboard! Earlier P67 revisions had a major flaw in the SATA controller where it gradually slowed down to the speed of a tortoise stuck in mud over time. I've seen it first hand and it's ugly. There shouldn't be any earlier revision boards in circulation because they were all recalled but there's always a moron who doesn't send his product in for recall and then these boards float around and pollute the used parts market. Beware.

I sent you a private message. Look at the top right of the screen under notifications to read it.

Hey thx I will check this revision on my friends mobo. He allready has the board for a couple years. He now wanted to go and give the oc a try.

That whole P67 errata was blown INCREDIBLY out of proportion. Basically, if you used a ton of SATA HDD's there was a chance that you would lose performance/the ports. If you only had a couple of HDD's chances are it would last through the life of the board.
http://www.techpowerup.com/139834/s...adation-on-cougar-point-p67-h67-chipsets.html

'dat spilled milk...

My friend only used 1 HDD 1 ODD and his HDD read speed is now down to paraplegic tortoise speeds. He's using a WD Black.
Only took 4 years for the board's SATA to crap out.

My friend only used 1 HDD 1 ODD and his HDD read speed is now down to paraplegic tortoise speeds. He's using a WD Black.
Only took 4 years for the board's SATA to crap out.

And in the same timeframe your P67 is just as good as new, right?
Just like almost all others.

The few that had problems made a nuke out of a firecracker.

Honestly, I could give two hoots about anecdotal experience...

Apparently there's a "slim" chance of users actually being affected by the recently-discovered chipset design error plaguing Intel's Cougar Point 6-series chipsets that drive the SandyBridge processors. Intel pegs this at 5% performance degradation caused due to data transfer errors over a period of 3 years.

But keep making mountains out of molehills!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we know.

It's the Aspergers dude.

south-park-assburgers.jpg

Your posting style occasionally "strikes me strange" as well but I'm not as vocal about it. Post and let post. :p

Your posting style occasionally "strikes me strange" as well but I'm not as vocal about it. Post and let post. :p

There's a difference though, making a tiny issue seem big causes panic in people. And then the level-headed people have to take 10 posts to your one to calm down said panic.

There's a difference though, making a tiny issue seem big causes panic in people. And then the level-headed people have to take 10 posts to your one to calm down said panic.

I didn't panic. Adrenalen- did you panic? No, right?
Who's panicking?

I just pointed out a flaw in the original P67 revision.

!!! Make 100 000% sure that you are getting a "revision B3" motherboard! Earlier P67 revisions had a major flaw in the SATA controller where it gradually slowed down to the speed of a tortoise stuck in mud over time.
Since you may not be able to see what you said or how it could be taken...

Three exclamation points at the BEGINING of the statement... the words, "MAJOR" flaw, and "slowed down to the speed of a tortoise stuck in mud over time" would cause me to panic.

Compare that to.......
Apparently there's a "slim" chance of users actually being affected by the recently-discovered chipset design error plaguing Intel's Cougar Point 6-series chipsets that drive the SandyBridge processors. Intel pegs this at 5% performance degradation caused due to data transfer errors over a period of 3 years.

And tell me which would cause panic. ;)

Since you may not be able to see what you said or how it could be taken...

Three exclamation points at the BEGINING of the statement... the words, "MAJOR" flaw, and "slowed down to the speed of a tortoise stuck in mud over time" would cause me to panic.

Compare that to.......

And tell me which would cause panic. ;)

Dude, come on. Combination of being western European AND having Aspergers means I exaggerate. Every 5lb fish I've ever caught has been 25lbs when I tell the story.

I'm getting the point accross. That's the important thing. So I embellished it a little.... I admit that. But I see no real harm. Jm2C.

I said, you "may not be able to see it", so I told you how your words can come across. They are dramatizing the issue. A lot. Causing undo worry over what is actually a non issue. So you, dude, come on, and listen to what I am saying since you self mentioned you have aspergers (at seemingly every chacne you get none the less) and can't see it.

Anyway, enough offtopic... please move on and help the OP...

I didn't panic. Adrenalen- did you panic? No, right?
Who's panicking?

I just pointed out a flaw in the original P67 revision.

i did not panic no :) It's my friend his mobo :p i just would think it suck if he got a turtle in his case somewhere ^^

Back