• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I damage my motherboard??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigmanute

Registered
OK so I'm its my first time building a gaming PC from scratch and I'm pretty ocd. I set my case down (Nzxt h440) pop the I/o shield into place and then the next part made me nervous. I sent the motherboard down and was pushing through the I/o shield trying to get it there and there was a little pop in there at some point. I had been ignoring the standoffs, I'm thinking I may have caught the standoff on something on the back of the mobo when pushing it in to the I/o? The mobo is a z97 MSI GAMING 5, could I have broke one of those little silver things on the back of the mobo?-thanks

You probably 'popped' the I/O shields in place.

Only way to know if you broke something off is to look. The only way to know if that part mattered is to test the board.

It's more likely that you only had 3 sides of the IO Shield in place and that the fourth side popped in than you actually breaking part of the motherboard.

Unfortunately, I don't have all my components yet, I would have no idea what to look for.

Is it bad if one of those metal things that stick out(no idea what to call them) got stripped or something didn't see that anything broke off.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to look at your board to see if you broke anything off of it. We can't tell you, we don't have the board or a high res picture... ;)

All you need to do is look for something broken off, then perhaps compare it to a picture on the web of the back of your motherboard...

EDIT: metal things that stick out..... you mean the solder? It could be bad if whatever it was soldered to isn't making contact. See first two sentences...

You have to look at your board to see if you broke anything off of it. We can't tell you, we don't have the board or a high res picture... ;)

All you need to do is look for something broken off, then perhaps compare it to a picture on the web of the back of your motherboard...

EDIT: metal things that stick out..... you mean the solder? It could be bad if whatever it was soldered to isn't making contact. See first two sentences...

Potential point of damage

Please host the pictures on this site, some can't see external links, thanks.

TDsvh1T.jpg SUc2wzC.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

First pic couldn't have been me, second ya I probably scratched it.

The traces look fine. I do not see exposed copper, nor does that appear to be anything more than a surface scratch.

Back