• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dents in new CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigmanute

Registered
MxNqQxo.jpg

Installed it once in my mobo, two small dents, similar less noticeable ones on the other side as well. I think I see a red/orange color in one of the dents.

Dents? I see the two small notches in the IHS if that's what you're talking about. Are you questioning if you should return it? If it were me I'd plop it in the socket and if it works not even worry about it.

Ya I see copper I think showing in one, could this affect performance? Don't have a mono to test yet.

Last edited:
Nope.

I need to ask... Why was the mobo DOA? Why happened? If I was you, I would share that info... Perhaps it's not dead...

I have to say it but in intel land the motherboard will not power up with out a cpu.

I see what looks like small two notches on the north end at the edge of the IHS, but that might be from the manufacturing imperfections, it looks like it was coated with those cut marks, but that white squiggly line on the PCB coming from what looks like that notch on the IHS at the bottom of the picture might be of question, it might of been a CPU they used out of the batch for Qcontrol (I thought chips from QC don't get sold), and made it back in the packaging process to get shipped and sold. If it boots and doesn't run hot I wouldn't worry about it. If your that concerned with it you might want to write a letter to Intel and let them know they are sending out damaged chips and they might want o look at their QC procedures.

Wonder if this cpu has been de-lidded once maybe???

It is pretty common to replace the thermal interface material under that plate. I have a 3570K that I'm going to do for someone right here......

Return it...

...it should be new and within sellers return period warranty. So return and quit worrying about it. Nothing anyone can say will ever satisfy you or me.

RGone...

Do you always look for minutia with a magnifying glass? Use it and stop worrying. If you are that hung up on it do as RGone said and return it. Don't be surprised if you find a defect on every cpu you buy if you look hard enough.

this made me lol.... So youre saying my i7s are NOT coming from a mint? WTF.

Back