• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build coming up on March 1st. I seek input on mobo selection.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

New build coming up!

I will be building a new computer for a senior friend in my building around March 1st. I'm currently thinking of using a Pentium G3220 @ 3.0Ghz as my G3258, even at stock, is fantastic paired with an SSD for day to day use as an office, HTPC, and internet appliance, which is what this person will be using her PC for.

I plan to use my G3258 stock heatsink on her G3220 for better temps as I understand the 3258's heatsink has superior heat dissipation characteristics. I'm having trouble finding a low end board to support this CPU that has good reviews. If you wouldn't mind, please have a look on Canada Computers' website at the B85, H81, H97, H87, etc motherboards and help me pick one. I'm after reliability at the lowest possible price. I'm not looking for any particular feature set. I don't even need front panel USB 3.0. I just need a reliable board where the NIC won't crap out after 8 months and the board won't give me any problems. I was looking at the ASUS H81M-A but several poor reviews left a bad taste in my mouth. I am looking for MATX or ITX boards only as the customer does not want a large computer case.

Here is their stock browser. You can select chiset/socket/etc from the pane on the left to narrow your search

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=26_1207

Also please help me pick an SSD based on the same premise of reliability and low cost from Canada Computers

www.canadacomputers.com

Please do not select parts that are "online only" or "special order only" as we will be buying all parts from a brick and mortar location in my area. Ideally, the parts would be instock at either the Scarborough (Kennedy) or Whitby location as they are closest to us.

I'm looking to spend $50-75 Canadian on each part in question, respectively.

The rest of the system will consist of:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_113&item_id=055570
PS08 case $50

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1238_442&item_id=078134
430W EVGA PSU $51

(Suggest me an SSD)

(suggest me a mobo)

Pentium G3220

Customer's existing WD "AAKS" 500GB SATA 3gbps HDD

Customer's existing ODD

Whatever 2X4GB 1600 c9 RAM kit is cheapest when I get to the store

Customer's existing full version Win 8.1 X64

Thanks in advance, especially to EarthDog and ATMinside as you guys dominate the build help.

Thanks ATM. I was looking at this board. I like the idea of getting this person a Giga board just for the superior RMA support vs Asrock, asus and msi.
Do you know anything about this board? I know they are already up to rev 3.0 on it according to some reviews I've read. CC lists as only having the rev 1.0 board so I wonder if there were any flaws with it that would be ameliorated by getting a rev 3.0 board which they do not appear to stock.

What about the ASRock boards? ASUS? They have some B85 stuff in the same price range as the H81 stuff and it appears to add more SATA and USB 3.0 front panel which would be good. It seems to me like the low end B85 is a better price/value option vs H81. Can you look at some more boards there and give me some more ideas? Otherwise I"m just taking a shot in the dark and last time I did that I ended up with "Satan", my mother's ASRock AM1 ITX board...

I cant remember but when i was shopping i originally picked a ASROCK board. I believe it was $45 at microcenter.

$50 after mail in rebate http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157376

Please read the original post man. I'm not near a microcenter. I'm not even in the right country. And your link is for the USA Newegg, which I said I wasn't going to order from. And, incidentally, which I can't order from. I can only order from Canadian Newegg where their prices are usually worse than Canada Computers.

The most glaring difference I see between rev 3 and 1 is that rev 3 adds a seperated audio section to the PCB and electrolytic audio caps. A pretty major upgrade IMO. Based on that alone I'd jump on the option to buy a rev 3 board.

Thanks ATM. I was looking at this board. I like the idea of getting this person a Giga board just for the superior RMA support vs Asrock, asus and msi.
Do you know anything about this board? I know they are already up to rev 3.0 on it according to some reviews I've read. CC lists as only having the rev 1.0 board so I wonder if there were any flaws with it that would be ameliorated by getting a rev 3.0 board which they do not appear to stock.

What about the ASRock boards? ASUS? They have some B85 stuff in the same price range as the H81 stuff and it appears to add more SATA and USB 3.0 front panel which would be good. It seems to me like the low end B85 is a better price/value option vs H81. Can you look at some more boards there and give me some more ideas? Otherwise I"m just taking a shot in the dark and last time I did that I ended up with "Satan", my mother's ASRock AM1 ITX board...

Please read the original post man. I'm not near a microcenter. I'm not even in the right country. And your link is for the USA Newegg, which I said I wasn't going to order from. And, incidentally, which I can't order from. I can only order from Canadian Newegg where their prices are usually worse than Canada Computers.
My post was basically just to show you the board...... I dont care where you buy it from. Newegg does a nice job of listing specs and such thats why i linked it. Im not from Canada either so i dont know what $50 US translates to your Canadian currency.

Honest question, will an elderly woman know the difference on that audio section?
I can say with 99% certainty that she won't.

I'm wondering why she isn't getting a $250-300 Dell. Apparently TOCN wants to be her tech support too...No need for this person to even have anything custom. Get her a Dell, dude, then wash your hands of the situation.

I'm wondering she isn't getting a $250-300 Dell. Apparently TOCN wants to be her tech support too...No need for this person to even have anything custom. Get her a Dell, dude, then wash your hands of the situation.

I agree wholeheartedly, but you know as well as I do that he'll never let her buy something OEM.

I'm wondering why she isn't getting a $250-300 Dell. Apparently TOCN wants to be her tech support too...No need for this person to even have anything custom. Get her a Dell, dude, then wash your hands of the situation.

dude-youre-getting-a-dell-first-commercial.jpg

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

I think not. I'd much rather be her tech support. I don't mind doing it. She is a life long family friend. I can give her much more in depth tech support than Dell can and I can provide a higher quality motherboard and PSU than Dell will provide. Dell can't be on site in 3 minutes to solve her problems and sit there for 3 hours fixing them if necessary. I can.

She has never bought an OEM machine, except way back in the 20th century when she had an IBM 286 machine. She seems to confide more in custom built machines, and has been buying them ever since her 286 crapped out. The machine she has now is a real hodge podge of half-assedness.

It has 1 2GB and 1 1GB memory module (What the heck is dual channel?). The case was recycled by the builder from an old Athlon (single core) machine. The case is not modern ATX spec, even though the motherboard is. The I/O shield for the board does not properly fit the back of the case. The front panel audio connector is not compatible with the motherboard. Etc etc etc. So many problems. She also got charged 2X what the hardware was worth when it was built in 2007. I'm not happy with the last guy that custom built for her. he did an absolutely half arsed job and overcharged her. I pride myself on my honesty and will not be charging her for labor or tech support. She just buys the parts and I put them together, install windows and drivers, and support the computer until it becomes a smouldering ruin or she upgrades again.

I'm going to see what low end machines Dell has available just for shiggles and gits but I don't think I can be swayed over to the OEM side. The parts tend to be shoddy. Yes, it's a great deal, but it's not a great deal because Dell is your friend from Highschool and they want to do you a favor. It's a great deal because they buy bulk and they're selling you garbage. I'd much rather have control over every part that goes into the machine.

Also, the PS08 case I have picked out is incredibly cute and well built (I have one at home). It is a solid case and a steal at $50 Canadian (which is like $38 US) and I'd like to stick with it.

I look forward to any more advice (Except "Buy a dell dude") that you guys want to give me. I still need help with MOBO selection. Please look at the B85 boards at CC guys. I have very little low-end hardware knowledge because I'd never buy it for myself (except for my HTPC) and I don't research it. I tried looking up H81/B85 boards on Toms Hardware but they don't even touch the stuff in their MOBO reviews.

Honest question, will an elderly woman know the difference on that audio section?
I can say with 99% certainty that she won't.

Actually she has pretty decent ($150 ish) speakers

I sorta agree, but yet again some people really enjoy helping others out. A Dell would do the trick, but if the man has time let him build her a nice pc.

Still won't notice.
If you're that worried about audio though, go find something with an 1150 codec.

For $50-75 Canadian? Absolutely impossible man. You know as well as I do. ALC1150 enabled boards start at like $135 USD which translates to about $165-170 Canadian. Way, way outside the budget.

She wants to spend (this much) money not (--------------this much----------------) money. Know what I mean? I also know she would never justify spending double on the board just for better audio. I'd take the better audio in the rev 3.0 of that Giga board if it was on offer, but that's like a free bagel. If she has to pay through the nose for the bagel, she doesn't want the bagel.

Still waiting for links to reviews of B85/H81 boards at CC, recommendations based on experience, etc. I'm asking for bread but everybody's giving me croutons. Not gonna get anywhere at this rate.

Thanks in advance!

Well, I showed you the only in-stock option for $75 and under for your B&M locations.
Not sure what else you want to hear...........

I sorta agree, but yet again some people really enjoy helping others out. A Dell would do the trick, but if the man has time let him build her a nice pc.
The point being, I lived this before and I tried to get the hell out of being people's tech support. If he as the time and inclination, go for it. As I (need to) say (more often here), "Not my circus, not my monkey"...

But IMNSHO, the best thing for all involved is a Dell. A simple phone call to them replaces parts/ask questions. Otherwise, she's going to have to get in contact with the OP, wait for him to get back to her... diagnose... yadayadayada. Dell dudes. Dell.

Well, I showed you the only in-stock option for $75 and under for your B&M locations.
Not sure what else you want to hear...........

Well, I'm willing to go to a different Canada computers for the sake of a more ideal motherboard choice. I mean, I'm not going to stick my neighbor with a non-ideal motherboard for the sake of saving 30 minutes and a few bucks worth of gas.

Any location in the greater Toronto area will be fine. I just meant that "ideally" I'd like to go to Scarborough or Whitby as they are a stone's throw from me.

The point being, I lived this before and I tried to get the hell out of being people's tech support. If he as the time and inclination, go for it. As I (need to) say (more often here), "Not my circus, not my monkey"...

But IMNSHO, the best thing for all involved is a Dell. A simple phone call to them replaces parts/ask questions. Otherwise, she's going to have to get in contact with the OP, wait for him to get back to her... diagnose... yadayadayada. Dell dudes. Dell.

How much of a PITA would it be for a completely non-tech-savvy person to call dell, diagnose a defective part over the phone in a 1 hour conversation, mail the part off to dell, wait for a replacement, yada yada yada. With a custom PC, I can diagnose the problem quickly without her having to lift a finger or make a phone call other than to me to tell me she has a problem with some brief details. We can go to Canada computers and buy a cheap replacement part for whatever blows, RMA the defective part and then sell the replacement when it arrives to recoup any losses. It all works out in the wash. I don't do OEM PCs. I don't like them. As far as I'm concerned, or rather, AFAIC (let's start a new acronym) OEM's like Dell have no business telling me and my friends what should be in our PC. JM2C. Lest we also forget the horrors of bloatware that needs to be hunted down and eliminated on an OEM windows install. You should have seen the bloatware on my A4-5000 machine from HP. Literally, I was pinned at 30% CPU usage at all times because there was so much garbage running on the system. And I'd like to add that I did not buy that HP laptop. I received it for free because I had a bunch of airmiles and I already get free air fare since my mother is a flight attendant. So I used my airmiles for a cheap laptop, since I was taking a course at the time where I could benefit from mobile computing. It's a piece of crap, as I expected.

Last edited:
How can I know that and which those are if you don't tell me?

I'm out, buy a Dell.

How can I know that and which those are if you don't tell me?

I'm out, buy a Dell.

Don't go! What do you mean how can you know which those are? They're any mATX board that is in stock at any Toronto area CC store.
If you know anything about B85 boards please have a look at their selection and give me some advice.

Come on dude. I give a lot back to the community here. When I need help myself it's like... rarely forthcoming in the capacity that I would like it. That's not fair.

And I refuse to buy a Dell.

EDIT: Ok ok... I'm talking to a Dell sales agent right now and I'll see what's possible. Gotta at least dance with the devil, even if you don't marry him.

EDIT: I have been vindicated!

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-3...t_h7101e&model_id=inspiron-3646-small-desktop

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-3647-small-desktop/pd.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&fl=m&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

That's the best they could offer me in Canada. The $300 system is a joke, and the $429 system underperforms what I can build myself and costs more money.
Also, single channel RAM? On a dual channel platform? Way to gimp your customers, Dell.

Dell? I think not. It ain't cheap as chocolate chips up here in Canada.

Last edited:
Back