• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[H] just showed up on our overtake list...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

29 some years to go, but we are now gaining about 2.7M ppd on them.

This is most likely due to dropping of -bigadv.

sad to say but I think there are some pissed off big time folders at [H]. but time move's on and it would appear that f@h is going the way of the gpu. so I guess we adapt or move on to something else. such is life.

Funny thing is that GPU folding will eventually be supplanted with the next computational tech as fah needs to find new ways to model their theories as the science progresses.

It is a sad time to be a [H]er, there are a lot of folders who have either moved to boinc or shut down all together. AVX would provide a boost to the cpu folders but that seems to be a pipe dream at the moment, gpu is the way to go but last time we all went in that direction - we got a curve ball from PG in the shape of BA units. a lot of people don't want to get burned yet again buying expensive hardware

sad to say but I think there are some pissed off big time folders at [H]. but time move's on and it would appear that f@h is going the way of the gpu. so I guess we adapt or move on to something else. such is life.
Upset? No, not so much, at least not now. The [H] Bigadvanced folders started migrating or shutting down even a year ago; but yes, many more recently, including me. Sure, there was quite a number of upset Folders, but I think that's mainly passed over by now. What many of the 4P Folders did was join DC projects through BOINC. I made the move two weeks ago and am having lots of fun.

It is a sad time to be a [H]er, there are a lot of folders who have either moved to boinc or shut down all together. AVX would provide a boost to the cpu folders but that seems to be a pipe dream at the moment, gpu is the way to go but last time we all went in that direction - we got a curve ball from PG in the shape of BA units. a lot of people don't want to get burned yet again buying expensive hardware
Nathan, I don't think it's sad. We aren't a monolithic force as we were in the hay-day of F@H multi-core Folding, but [H] is very active in DC projects, just much more diversified now. Yeah, I got caught up in the F@H GPU-4P-GPU 180 degree turns, but that won't happen again. That's the beauty of BOINC - there's a worthy project for whatever hardware configuration you prefer. My 4Ps continue to be valid, productive platforms for contributing to scientific research.

29 some years to go, but we are now gaining about 2.7M ppd on them.
If you do pass the [H]orde, that will be quite an event. Give it your best. If and when you do it, I'll lead a charge of [H] crunchers over here to congratulate you! You may have better odds than you think. There are still Team 33 F@H contributors running 4Ps. It's my guess that those remaining may change their focus and move on to other projects.

Team 32, I am not disparaging Folding@Home or your excellent team. F@H is a wonderful enterprise with great promise. If it works for you, you have my respect. If you do though, become frustrated, consider that the DC world is MUCH larger than you might think.

'It's all good.' :attn:

Leonardo@Overclockers
Linden@[H]
Leonardo@F@H

Back