• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmeatballs

hmmm, I have already OC'd with success. I recently RMA'd my original CPU cooler which was an h80i for pump malfunction. I got a temporary cooler Scythe Mugen 4.

I set the UEFI back to default before replacing the cooler, now I am trying to OC it again but it seems like its stock on the turbo core thingy whilst turned off on my BIOS. What am I doing wrong?

I have disabled CnQ, C1E, APM, Turbo Core

SVM and C6 mode are enabled though

Here is my CPU-Z its weird look at my multiplier. I have set it at 4500MHz in bios but only 4300MHz. I know this happened to me before on my thuban but I forgot what caused this. I already tried flashing my bios.
CPUZ215.jpg

Also I wrote down my stable settings for 4.5GHz, I tried it again and somehow its not stable anymore! I only changed my cooler and my case and thats it. Comparing the mugen 4 with the h80i only little difference on temps only like 3-5c

Last edited:
SVM and C6 mode are enabled though = If you are not using Virtual Machines then SVM = OFF and since you have disabled TurboCore you should also disable C6.

Try that and report back. NOTE: if you have windows power manager running in balanced mode then the cpu will idle the multiplier up and down when loaded or not loaded. Performance mode in windows power manager should keep multiplier clocked up.

NOTE: also that if you had some sort of software, maybe just Asrock proprietary software running on the system...it might also have the multplier acting funny.

That should give you enough stuff to check to begin with.

RGone...

EDIT:
Look at your FSB aka HT Ref Freq that is showing 194.3 Mhz. 194.3 times 22.5 equals 4371.75MHz just as your CPUID capture is showing. Nothing wrong with multiplier. It is the FSB aka HT Ref Freq that you need to set to 200. 200 x 22.5 = 4500Mhz.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
okay I will try RGone. I remember you from my 1090t lol. Anyway, just a weird thing before I had flat 200 FSB... I even had flat 4500MHz if not flat like 4499.99MHz

okay I turned off SVM and C6. Double checked turbo core and the other they are disabled.

No asrock software installed. CPU-z still the same even at load.

Well your are...

...running out of choices. That 200Mhz FSB or in bios maybe HT Ref Freq is not just going to change itself.

1. You can manually see if you can set back to ~200Mhz since none hit 'dead-on' 200Mhz that I have seen.

2. You may try and turn off all power to the board and Clear the CMOS and see if it then is reset ~200Mhz FSB as it should be.

3. Bios maybe partially corrupted and thus require a reflash.

Point being that setting should be ~200Mhz give or take maybe 0.3 or 0.4 or something like that. If it is not there is a problem Houston. A physical or adjustment issue.

Good luck with troubleshooting.

RGone...

M5A99FX Pro R2.0 or Asrock 990fx extreme4

I don't know, but I feel like my board is failing me.
Is the m5a99fx pro r2.0 a good replacement for the extreme4?

For some weird reason I can't seem to have a decent clock with this extreme4 anymore.

give this a read http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/756383-FX-8350-OC-help

I was trying to put my old OC back after I placed my temporary cooler a Scythe Mugen 4, because I RMA'd my h80i for the malfunctioning LED on the pump. Before replacing it with my temporary cooler I turned my FX back to stock(load default on UEFI) as I wanted to test this Scythe Mugen 4 then suddenly I do not know why my FSB is on 194.3 MHz. I feel like something is wrong with my MB. I wrote a detailed copy of my 4.5GHz stable OC which I've had on for 24/7 for around 6-7mos.

I dont think your board has a problem... I would have also included this in that same thread as this is about your overclock and likely not a suddenly borked board. In fact. I will merge the threads until we can figure out if you need a new board or what... :)

That's because the M5A99FX Pro R2.0 is ASUS. I would venture to say either board would be able to OC your 8350 with your cooling.

That said I had the same problem with my 1090T on my ASRock EXT9. Turns out the chip had some slight degradation. It needed a little less of an overclock even after RMAing the MoBo. I'll see if I can find the thread so you can verify if you're having the same issues.

EDIT: Found it. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...AMD-Phenom-II-1090T-Degrading?highlight=1090T

Depends.. its a possibility...

(Thanks blaylock on the ASUS find there... I'll go get more caffeine!!)

I'm just saying it's a possibility. Try dropping down the OC and re-check for stability and walk the OC back up. If you become unstable prior to you "old" OC then Yes it may be.
How sure are you of the re-mount of the cooler? Possibly higher temps causing instability?

Side note: Is there anything else in your system you changed? (e.g. Ram, PSU, ...)

Also: I was completely shocked to when mt replacement board came in and duplicated the error(Lowered FSB). I'm still not sure if it's an ASRock thing or not, but I dropped my OC from 3.7 to 3.5 and all was good until I replaced the CPU. :shrug:

hmmm weird. This only happened when I replaced my CPU cooler and my case. Well my board is already 5yo. The Chip is still on warranty tho but I dont think amd would take it lol.

Noticed on CPU-z my core voltage jumps from 1.1-1.4v and then the Core speed from 1000MHz - 4000MHz is this normal for idle?

Last edited:
Just being straight up...

...straight about thoughts gathered over the +3.5 years of FX processors. The MOBO: Asrock 990FX Extreme 4 would not even be on my long list of boards I would suggest for overclocking 8 core FX cpus. And most certainly not my very very short list for getting the very most out of an FX 8 core processor. At one time on paper the Asrock Ext 4 you have seemed a good match for FX 8 core but as time moved on and a few came into the forums with the EXT 4 and reading other forums...the EXT 4 was just too vulnerable to problems and I have not mentioned it in the same breath with an FX processor in nearly 3 years now.

Now why its' default FSB has changed from 200Mhz to 1.94Mhz is not known. Why you don't manually adjust it to 200 or 201 is not known either. I certainly would take out of AUTO mode and try and manually set 200 and even 201 for FSB and see if the board will work. That is not rocket science man just troubleshooting to see if board is now going bad.

By now I would have removed battery and thus cleared the CMOS for at least an hour. Another troubleshooting trick/tip.

And by now would certainly have REflashed the bios to try and reduce the odds the bios had gotten corrupted.

Yes putting on air cooler instead of water cooling could have put all your previous results out the door. Heck you even said you wanted to 'test' to see if the Mugen thing was going to work okay. I replaced my watercooling setup with a very good air cooling setup for testing and IMMEDIATELY had to raise my Vcore at every clock I tried by at least 0.04 volts to run the speed I ran with my watercooling. But that change to air cooling did n0t dork my boards ability to set ~200FSB.

So you can manually try and set an FSB close to 200 such as 201 and test or you can flash the bios or you can do a long CMOS clear and I would try them all...OR get anoher board and my very first choice would be the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. No guessing at that on my part.

One last thing which might happen in 1 in 1,000 cases is cpu degradation. It might happen, but I have some used FX processors that have been run at plus 1.7Vcore and none of them has degraded. Could it happen to you? Might. But the odds are pretty great that cpu degradaton is not the problem. Board going bad is most likely cause of your problem.

RGone...

I've had this happen even on non Asrock boards. A bios re-flash fixed it every time. You're running your OC on the edge. It only happens to me when benching, and it has to do with the memory divider being used. That's all I can tell you.

good news everyone, I removed one ram stick and my Bus Speed went back to 199.6 MHz. So you guys think I should do memtest86+? Thank God its not my CPU :clap:

good news everyone, I removed one ram stick and my Bus Speed went back to 199.6 MHz. So you guys think I should do memtest86+? Thank God its not my CPU :clap:

Quickest test is to take the ram stick out that 'now' does let FSB go to 199.xx Mhz and put the other stick in the same slot and see if you still have 199.xx. If not the stick now in the ram slot is bad.

RGone...

Back