• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

110v power cords. OK to mix and match?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenohitsu

I have a handful of desktops and power cords that I swap out of convenience. I don't know anything about power ratings and whether any of them (all three pronged) are good enough for my more powerful towers, like 520w PSU. Do I need to use a certain power cord? I only have one 10 amp label on one and I don't know if I need a certain grade. Thanks in advance.

Unless you have wall socket specifically built 20 amp circuit in your house , all your outlets are likely 15 amp outlets. That's why vacuum cleaners are almost universally labeled "12.0 Amps". It's about the max a standard outlet will bear safely with a fudge factor.. In long-winded fashion that means almost any IEC cable will handle any load your outlet will. IEC C13 and C14 cables are rated for 10 amps (The triangular female end type). It took me all that to say what ED said in two brief sentences. LOL at myself. :)

Back