• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD and FREEZES after OC keeps occuring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dryl

Hi, guys. I am experiencing BSODs and freezes after my friend OC'ed my CPU without checking with me. Being an OC noob, I was trying to stay away from it until I fully learn about it. Here are my specs -

i5 4670K
ASUS Z97i Plus
Thermaltake 750M PSU
Crucial 16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980 SC

The BSOD occured after my friend set my base clock to 4.4 GHZ and 1.25 Core Voltage, at least that were the values when I checked. I set the values to default using BIOS after the BSOD and after weird noises came from my Case, I don't know if they came from my mobo or the PSU, I am sure it wasn't the GPU and the watercooler. The BSOD continues after setting everything back to defaul. I checked it with Blue Screen View, and it showed me the following errors -
cfosspeed6.sys
ntoskrnl.exe

Then, I checked the memory DMP in windows and it again showed me that CFOS was the probably cause, along with 'Chrome' titles when I clicked on analyze for further analysis.

The problem is I deleted TurboLan, which cfos was using and I am still getting sudden freezes, usually while surfin the web. I gamed for like 4 hours after this and no BSODs or freezes.

I am uploading the text output from my Memory DMP analysis and the actual mini dump file here so somebody who knows how to read this can help me solve the issue. I would really preciate any help, guys.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Dump files -

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=0016492856...

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=0887417113...

I would go into bios and reset everything to stock/defaults then reboot. I would also suggest not to let your friend overclock your machine. If something was to get damaged, I would doubt your friend will pay for the damages. I'm thinking the weird noises could be coil whine from either the board or the psu. Before overclocking you'll need to isolate the noise.

Also there's an awesome guide here to help you overclock your own machine. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Yea, that's not cool. You don't just up and mess with someone's system like that.

I would go as far as clearing CMOS (either by button, jumper or removing the battery), and verifying that everything got reset.

I think OP said he already tried resetting the bios to stock values. If so I would suggest doing a CMOS clear. Make sure you are powered down first and switch off the PSU before moving the jumper and then move the jumper back to normal position before powering back up. Your friend didn't overclock the video card too did he?

Sounds like the OS is borked.

Try safe mode. If successfully runs windows without bluescreens, try booting back in normally.

You can also try a restore point if you have one. This sometimes recovers OS mess-ups.

Back