• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here are some photos of my new PC gaming new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How to Overclock Intel Core i7-4770K with Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY32GX3M4A186

Hello everybody!

My new Build
Aerocool GT-S Black Full Tower Gaming Case
ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Hero
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core
MSI N780 TF 3GD5-OC Graphic Card
Corsair Hydro Series H100i All-In-One 240mm Digital High Performance Rad Liquid Cooler for CPU
Corsair Memory Vengeance Pro Series Silver CMY32GX3M4A1866C9 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz XMP QuadDual Channel Desktop
Asus VG278HE 27 Full HD LED Ultimate Gaming Monitor
Corsair Vengeance K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Black - Cherry MX Red Switches
Pioneer BDR-209EBK Quad Layer 16x SATA Blu-Ray Writer
Samsung MZ-7TE120BW 840 EVO 120GB Basic SSD SATA 3 7mm UltraSlim 2.5 With Software Suite PCMAC
Western Digital HDD WD2002 FAEX 2TB
Windows 8.1 full version 64 bit
Logitech Webcam C930e (Business Product) with HD 1080p Video and 90-degree Field of View
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse 12000dpi USB
Corsair 1200W AX1200i ATX Power Supply

I am from Malta (Europe) a very small Island in the Mediterranean sea next to Scilly and Italy as I am trying to figure out how to overclock my new PC build it 3 months ago but don't take me wrong as I came over here to learn how to overclock. I just once tried it and played a game for many hours but without overclocking it and it's very stable without any errors without blue screen when I played this game called "Call of Duty - Advanced Warfare". I don't want to use it for games only even I like graphics and some drawings. I wish somebody could help me out how to overclock my new PC who has similar like mine or a professional member who can give me some good hints with explanation step by step.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
I wish I can spend more money but I can't because I am unemployed, to build this PC I had some hard times you know money speaking but at least I am where I am with this build if I had the ability to do that what you said I would do it without thinking of it.

Thanks a lot.
Cheers mate:)

Thanks
I already seen that link but it doesn't tell you in an exact way for example I found out about the error when I try to overclock and boot blue screen error interrupt and went to other links as they say you have to disable Turbo Mode to higher up more clocking your CPU and still don't do anything because it turns to enable again but there is another option with it Speed step to disable it. I didn't try it yet and I hope it works.

Thanks to all:)

Biggest thing I'm seeing is all your fan cables. Like, holy fan cables! I don't even see that many fans, lol. I would try to run more of them behind the motherboard tray, and I would also probably cut those molex plugs right off. You don't have to, of course, but a suggestion.

Aside from that, I would also run the PCIe power out of the grommet below the one you have it coming from, so it can come out along the video card and not obstruct airflow. The rest is probably ok from an airflow standpoint, but I would definitely want to hide more of those cables for aesthetics.

Thanks
Yes you are seeing that cable out of the case because there is another fan of 20 cm of the front door window that's a big fan in front of the GPU and the CPU. There is photo with the window closed.

Cheers mate:)

Fans there are 2 twin fans of the Corsair CPU 120 mm, 1 of 140 mm next the I/O shield, 1 of 200 mm front case, 1 of the side window 200 mm and 1 of 120 mm next to the Power Supply.

Thanks
I already seen that link but it doesn't tell you in an exact way for example I found out about the error when I try to overclock and boot blue screen error interrupt and went to other links as they say you have to disable Turbo Mode to higher up more clocking your CPU and still don't do anything because it turns to enable again but there is another option with it Speed step to disable it. I didn't try it yet and I hope it works.

Thanks to all:)

Not sure what you mean when you say the OC guide doesn't tell you "in an exact way". There is no such thing as cookie cutter settings for overclocking. Just because a certain set of parameters gets me to 4.5Ghz at 1.22V doesn't mean that's going to work for you. Each CPU is different. No CPU is guaranteed to perform in any particular way (or at all for that matter) when taken outside the envelope of performance it was designed for. Overclocking is a crapshoot. As Forest Gump might say "My mama always used to say, overclockin's like a box of choco-lates. You never know what you're gonna get".

To break it down into simplest terms though, all you need to know for a mild overclock (to 4.4 or 4.5Ghz or so) on Haswell is that you increase multiplier and voltage. The two are intertwined. The higher the multiplier, the higher the voltage required to sustain it. Set your RAM to XMP1 in bios, then raise your CPU multiplier and CPU vcore gradually, stability testing with AIDA64 or Prime95 (not the newest version!) for 4 hours or so as you go along.

An easy way to get started is to set your CPU multi to 45 and your vcore to 1.3V and booting into windows. Use HWmonitor to check your vcore both idle and under load and confirm that it matches what you have input in bios. If it doesn't, you will need to use LLC (load line calibration) in bios. From there, stress test for a few hours to make sure it is stable (monitor your temps with coretemp. If they go over 85C, kill the test and reduce vcore). If the test fails, increase vcore. If the test passes, decrease your vcore. Keep tweaking vcore and testing. You want the lowest possible vcore for a given OC. Some haswell chips aree doing 4.8Ghz on 1.25V but this is not commonplace.

Rather than relying on cliffnotes like I just gave you, however, I would strongly urge you to re-read and understand the more robust and complete OC guide so you really know what you're doing. That way you'll learn something. The barely-sighted leading the blind is not good for anyone.

Nice keyboard Btw. Am I the only sucker using cheap keyboards?? I have to get a mech board soon... I don't like being the odd man out.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean when you say the OC guide doesn't tell you "in an exact way". There is no such thing as cookie cutter settings for overclocking. Just because a certain set of parameters gets me to 4.5Ghz at 1.22V doesn't mean that's going to work for you. Each CPU is different. No CPU is guaranteed to perform in any particular way (or at all for that matter) when taken outside the envelope of performance it was designed for. Overclocking is a crapshoot. As Forest Gump might say "My mama always used to say, overclockin's like a box of choco-lates. You never know what you're gonna get".

To break it down into simplest terms though, all you need to know for a mild overclock (to 4.4 or 4.5Ghz or so) on Haswell is that you increase multiplier and voltage. The two are intertwined. The higher the multiplier, the higher the voltage required to sustain it. Set your RAM to XMP1 in bios, then raise your CPU multiplier and CPU vcore gradually, stability testing with AIDA64 or Prime95 (not the newest version!) for 4 hours or so as you go along.

An easy way to get started is to set your CPU multi to 45 and your vcore to 1.3V and booting into windows. Use HWmonitor to check your vcore both idle and under load and confirm that it matches what you have input in bios. If it doesn't, you will need to use LLC (load line calibration) in bios. From there, stress test for a few hours to make sure it is stable (monitor your temps with coretemp. If they go over 85C, kill the test and reduce vcore). If the test fails, increase vcore. If the test passes, decrease your vcore. Keep tweaking vcore and testing. You want the lowest possible vcore for a given OC. Some haswell chips aree doing 4.8Ghz on 1.25V but this is not commonplace.

Rather than relying on cliffnotes like I just gave you, however, I would strongly urge you to re-read and understand the more robust and complete OC guide so you really know what you're doing. That way you'll learn something. The barely-sighted leading the blind is not good for anyone.

Nice keyboard Btw. Am I the only sucker using cheap keyboards?? I have to get a mech board soon... I don't like being the odd man out.

...I'm using a $40 Logitech wireless keyboard you're not alone lol.

I'm using a $9 (Canadian. So like $7 US) Microsoft keyboard.

im using some logitech keyboard i bought for $10 like 8 years ago at walmart... lol
i also have a stack of keyboards i bought for $0.98 each that i use for like my servers and other misc stuff lol.

I have the Logitech 710 keyboard i think it was a $100. I miss my original cheap Dell keyboard, it wasnt even usb.

Mech keys are loud as hell.

Mech keys are loud as hell.

Not if you have MX Red switches or Brown. I have a Corsair Vengeance K70 with MX Brown's and they are mid-range loudness. They have a nice feel to it when you press down the key. If you want a completely smooth mech keyboard then go with some MX Red switches. MX Blue's are the loudest *CLICK CLICK* noise.

Back