• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-9590 stability issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Secret Combo

Registered
Below is a snapshot on what my computer holds, I built it myself...
Untitled.png voltages.png

My FX-9590 series CPU has some stability issues. I have read that the FX-9XXX series have had problems according to other users on the internet, but I feel as if my problem is a bit different than most... Usually the problem with the FX-9xxx is an issue with cooling, and usually I would agree with that, however, I am CONFIDENT I am getting sufficient cooling to my cpu and cooling to all parts of my system.

This is my case. These are my fans. I have 3 of them, two on the front sucking in air and one on top blowing out air. I dust out the computer regularly because of the air circulation. This is my power supply; 700W.

Most importantly, this is the CPU and the cooler that came with it.

Anyways, here's the problem. When I stress test the machine with prime95 (or use any processor heavy application) doing the Blend test, my computer ALWAYS instantly locks up within 5 minutes or less, sometimes within seconds of starting the test. This was at the factory set 4.7GHz. I fooled around with the voltages giving it a little more at a time to see if it wouldn't lock up, or at least take longer to lock up. After raising the voltage several times, AND lowering the voltage, nothing could change the eventual lock up. I decided to go back to the recommended voltage and monitored closely any temperature spike. No subsystem went above 60°C all the way up to the lockup.

Next, I switched what slots my RAM was sitting in, from slots 2 & 4 to 1 & 3. Nothing changed. I went to my local electronic's store and bought a power supply tester, and tested all the ends of the PS, and everything was exactly where the should be, so I knew it couldn't be the PS. At this point I was desperate, so I began to lower the clock speed of the CPU -100MHz at a time, with a subsequent stress test. The computer kept locking up until I hit 4.3GHz, a whole 400MHz less than advertised! So at 4.3ghz, I did several tests to see if it would lock up, like rendering a complicated video, doing a 100% anti-virus scan, and playing COD:AW at the same time. It ran good considering the hell I put it though (as I would EXPECT from a $400 CPU...), but if I raise the clock speed any higher, oh GOD forbid I put my CPU to any sort of work.

Just as a point of reference as well, I got curious to see what would happen if I turbo'd the CPU to 5.0GHz (as advertised). I only got past an entire boot cycle once, but my login screen locked up once I began to type in my computer's password, as if I put it though a stress test like before.

Please and thank you for helping me out, feel free to ask me ANY question and I will answer if it will help you help me. I really want this CPU to clock at 5.0, if I wanted a CPU that only could go to 4.3, I'd buy a different CPU. Thanks.

Last edited:
There is only ONE thing that Cpu will love... ok well 2 things. First is more voltage.

Here's my P-states for example. Note how low the clock starts at over 1.5250v. Crazy right?

P-State FID 0x22 - VID 0x02 - IDD 18 (25.00x - 1.525 V)
P-State FID 0x1F - VID 0x02 - IDD 18 (23.50x - 1.525 V)
P-State FID 0x1D - VID 0x02 - IDD 18 (22.50x - 1.525 V) and up ^^^
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0B - IDD 14 (20.00x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x15 - IDD 11 (17.00x - 1.287 V)
P-State FID 0x8 - VID 0x25 - IDD 7 (12.00x - 1.087 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x35 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.887 V)

2nd thing is cooling. It like cool to cold temps, not somewhat warm to hot temps.

Really the AIO is a get me by IMO. You should be running an expensive custom loop and have cooling for overclocking.

In a nut shell, it's a hot sob that likes more voltage. All 8 cores forced 5ghz would not be a surprise to have running 1.55v or better. (At least that's how mine acts running warm.)

What's your recommendation? Should I bump up the CPU voltage up to 1.5250v? And should I get a different liquid cooler?

What's your recommendation? Should I bump up the CPU voltage up to 1.5250v? And should I get a different liquid cooler?

Yes to the voltage. especially at 22.5x multi and higher. And then look into building a "custom loop" vs an all in one loop. You'll have much better temps for higher voltages.

BTW I can't see your pictures. Hit Go Advanced button then scroll down to attachments.

Here's an example of how much voltage this cpu wanted to push 5.6ghz on Liquid "tap to drain" cooling. Massive voltage hog. More more more. And it does get hotter faster. This was best case scenario beyond digging out a DICE pot or using a chiller SS or LN2. Usable, no good for daily clocks. The chip is good for 4.7ghz @ 1.5250v that I can attest to.

Want a real challenge, try running this ***** on air cooling. lol.

Attachments

• FX-9590 5618mhz WPrime 32m.png
    FX-9590 5618mhz WPrime 32m.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 4,679
What temperature should I be aiming for? I sucks that I the CPU can't handle remotely warm temps...

CPU and CPU package temps you want all at 52c orrr.... less. It's not an easy accomplishment. A lot of guys would slap a single stage on this for series daily clocks, because that's just about what it needs beyond 5ghz maybe 5.2ghz with a decent custom loop.

Now we are talking about the same chip that "may" be 8ghz capable..... but then look at the temperature overheat margin. there isn't gonna be an over heat. So more voltage more. I've had a couple of FX chips running 7200mhz and beyond. Again strait voltage hungry 1.9v and up up up.

Any theories on why the liquid cooler that came with my FX-9590 is not good enough to run at the factor 4.7GHz?

Uh.......A 220watt CPU on a mobo that only supports up to 140watt CPUs, there's your problem. It's throttling due to the power demand.

Anyways, here's the problem. When I stress test the machine with prime95 (or use any processor heavy application) doing the Blend test, my computer ALWAYS instantly locks up within 5 minutes or less, sometimes within seconds of starting the test. This was at the factory set 4.7GHz. I fooled around with the voltages giving it a little more at a time to see if it wouldn't lock up, or at least take longer to lock up. After raising the voltage several times, AND lowering the voltage, nothing could change the eventual lock up. I decided to go back to the recommended voltage and monitored closely any temperature spike. No subsystem went above 60°C all the way up to the lockup.
The reason the computer is locking up is because the VRM section of the motherboard doesn't have enough power to supply the cpu with the power it needs.

Umh...

...I see some of those that I figured would not show up until maybe Monday morning are already showing up.

Asus does not say M5A97 R2.0 supports FX-9590. FX-8370 is the largest/fastest cpu that Asus says the M5A97 R2.0 supports.

And honestly the majority of us that have helped with the FX for nearly 3.5 years now would not suggest even an FX-4300 for that weak VRM circuited motherboard. Well not if one wanted to overclock their 6 or 8 core FX cpu as most of us have been doing in here for that nearly 3.5 years.

We have so many incidents of people coming into the AMD cpu and mobo forum sections with underspec'ed boards in real life and yet said to work by the mobo makers. Well those weak boards might hobble by but they surely are not up to the task of day in and day out use at beyond 4.5GHz. It 'should' be pretty apparent about the 4.5GHz as you can attain stability at around 4.3Ghz. That 4.3GHz would not be nearly good enough for me since I run my FX-8350 overclocked up to and beyond the FX-9590 since I am running at 4.7GHz but with "ALL" 8 cores overclocked and not just half or less of your cores to 5.0GHz when all parameters are met.

You could have spent for the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and had a platform to work with. But never will the VRM section of that M5A97 R2.0 be up to the rigors and strain of that FX-9590 unless clocked down as you have found. About it.

The Asus 990X EVO R2.0 is only good to maybe 4.5Ghz and the Asus 990FX PRO 2.0 is only good to about that same 4.5GHz overclocked as we normally do in this forum. When it is no longer late Sunday night...you will get more than myself that will say the same as me since they have already been there and done that with the lesser performing motherboards.

Now you "could" take and run cold water thru a heavy duty water block and get the M5A97 R2.0 to do a little better since the cold water from the water block would also help to lower the temps in the VRM cpu voltage supply circuit but it is not a long term idea.

I know of two users that did their posting in the AMD Mobo forum section and one said "before" it happened that he knew his M5A97 was not 'enough' motherboard for his FX-6300 but he wanted to run it until it blew-up and he did for about 7 weeks. He came back into his original thread and gave us the sad news. Oh well.

RGone...

Last edited:
Uh.......A 220watt CPU on a mobo that only supports up to 140watt CPUs, there's your problem. It's throttling due to the power demand.

The reason the computer is locking up is because the VRM section of the motherboard doesn't have enough power to supply the cpu with the power it needs.

...I see some of those that I figured would not show up until maybe Monday morning are already showing up.

Asus does not say M5A97 R2.0 supports FX-9590. FX-8370 is the largest/fastest cpu that Asus says the M5A97 R2.0 supports.

And honestly the majority of us that have helped with the FX for nearly 3.5 years now would not suggest even an FX-4300 for that weak VRM circuited motherboard. Well not if one wanted to overclock their 6 or 8 core FX cpu as most of us have been doing in here for that nearly 3.5 years.

We have so many incidents of people coming into the AMD cpu and mobo forum sections with underspec'ed boards in real life and yet said to work by the mobo makers. Well those weak boards might hobble by but they surely are not up to the task of day in and day out use at beyond 4.5GHz. It 'should' be pretty apparent about the 4.5GHz as you can attain stability at around 4.3Ghz. That 4.3GHz would not be nearly good enough for me since I run my FX-8350 overclocked up to and beyond the FX-9590 since I am running at 4.7GHz but with "ALL" 8 cores overclocked and not just half or less of your cores to 5.0GHz when all parameters are met.

You could have spent for the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and had a platform to work with. But never will the VRM section of that M5A97 R2.0 be up to the rigors and strain of that FX-9590 unless clocked down as you have found. About it.

The Asus 990X EVO R2.0 is only good to maybe 4.5Ghz and the Asus 990FX PRO 2.0 is only good to about that same 4.5GHz overclocked as we normally do in this forum. When it is no longer late Sunday night...you will get more than myself that will say the same as me since they have already been there and done that with the lesser performing motherboards.

Now you "could" take and run cold water thru a heavy duty water block and get the M5A97 R2.0 to do a little better since the cold water from the water block would also help to lower the temps in the VRM cpu voltage supply circuit but it is not a long term idea.

I know of two users that did their posting in the AMD Mobo forum section and one said "before" it happened that he knew his M5A97 was not 'enough' motherboard for his FX-6300 but he wanted to run it until it blew-up and he did for about 7 weeks. He came back into his original thread and gave us the sad news. Oh well.

RGone...

This is the answer I was looking for! Thank you so much, esp considering the sunday night posting :) what mobo would you guys recommend?

There are only 3 boards on the market that support 9590 and they are all very expensive.

It's a 220W Proc and you will need a custom loop for this thing AIO isn't gonna cut it.

Your choices
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z $225
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 $ 200 <<--- hard to find sometimes for a cheap price
ASRock 990FX Extreme9 $189-220 depending on where you shop
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your only choices with this processor

Find you some nice DDR3 2400 to go along with the Formula Z if you pick it - it likes good ram

Last edited:
@ Secret Combo...

...We have seen this board and plenty of the day in and day out helpers have one, so we don't have to go and REinvent the wheel when helping with it.

SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

FX-9370(FD9370FHW8KHK, 4.4GHz, 8C, L3:8M, 220W,rev.C0,AM3+)
FX-9590(FD9590FHW8KHK, 4.7GHz, 8C, L3:8M, 220W,rev.C0,AM3+)
With Note: Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using this CPU(i.e. special thermal required..)

Basically what that Due high TDP means is > Tuesday, September 3rd 2013 05:27 > The ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboards all feature AM3+ Socket with full support for AMD's extreme-performance FX-9370 and FX-9590 processors. With eight-cores and unlocked clock speeds up to 5 GHz, the FX-9000 Series requires incredible amounts of power and generates considerable heat - AMD recommends a 1200 W power supply and liquid processor cooling.

Now here is where the 'real deal' comes in. As noted in my other post to you, there have already been a few knowledgeable users in here that have tried the M5A99FX Pro 2.0 in these forums. "mandrake4565" has already made post in this thread of yours. He had the 990FX Pro board and he moved to Sabertooth and CHV motherboards for fully use of his 8 core cpus when overclocked to WFO.

I would suggest the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 without any reservations of its' ability to perform. Well they all perform in some manner if they are not DOA but just had to be straight with you. Anyone can get a defective anything. But I am speaking to the real servicability of the mobo. Most of us in here that push these boards do put a fan blowing air on the VRMs and also some put fan blowing on rear of mobo to lower what is called cpu/socket temps. If you run your FX-9590 as AMD spec'd it to run and leave TurboCore enabled and do not set a manual multiplier, then you might get by without the fans I mention EVEN though you are on watercooling and n0 longer have spillover air from Air Cooled Cpu Cooler blowing air across the VRMs. HOWEVER most of us go into manual mode and disable all the TurboCore stuff and windup with ALL 8 Cores on ALL the time. Then we fan the VRMs and often rear of the mobo. If we have to do that for the Sabertooth and CHV-Z mobo when watercooled, you can only imagine how woefully inadequete that M5A97 R2.0 is in supplying solid power due the heat caused by that hefty 8 core FX-9590.

RGone...

...This is why I don't buy from Tigerdirect unless I 'know' for myself what works and does not work. They sell this bundle that is not supported by the motherboard maker as working. Big time crapping on non knowledgeable consumers head.

AMD FX-9590 Eight-Core 5.0Ghz Processor, ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard, AMD Radeon™ RP1866 8GB Desktop Memory Module, And Sapphire Dual-X R9 270 Battlefield 4 Video Card Bundle

M5A97 R2.0 > Cpu Support

RGone...

Just another example of "Sell-Sell-Sell" going on.

They don't care if it dies not long after you get it or not, chances are it will be a warranty handling it so all they need do is pass it along to the manufacturer to make it right. They like to bundle up lesser/crappy parts with others known to perform and they do this to move these parts.
It's also funny the guys deciding what should be bundled with what probrably coudn't spec or even build a decent machine but can sell the H*** out of them all week long.

As for whether the mentioned board in use here could run a 6 or even an 8 core, yes it probrably could in stock/non-OC'ed form all day long. Remember the moment you start tweaking, the warranty "Goes" out the window (As if that can be proven unless it's a blatantly obvious case of abuse) so that's used to wiggle out of these claims in many cases.

It's just the biz as usual..... You guys should have been there years ago when a store that sold PC parts in this area had this sales guy that was a total joke.
This was when Socket 754 had came out and the new 64 bit CPU's were all the rage so folks were going around snapping these up, making them hard to find locally. I had stopped in to ask about these chips since at the time I didn't know alot myself about them but...... I knew enough.

Here's the joke - This sales guy was trying hard to sell me a lowly Socket 754 3000+ Sempron for $300.00!!! :rofl:

Was claiming it was a really "Great" processor that would and could do about anything, really powerful with no need to worry about getting one of those Athlon CPUs at all.
Sure.... I guess the one he had stashed behind the counter was special that way including it's ability to slay software gremlins before they could start making love in your machine or some other means to keep them from breeding..... Maybe. :screwy:

Of course he kept it and I eventually got myself a 3400+ Newcastle for the build I was doing at the time.
Served me quite well and I even still have the chip today, runs great and clocks up too for a chip of this vintage and socket.

As long as a buck can be made, that's how it will be.
The guys behind the counter or at the online stores selling whatever, however they can get it sold and not worrying alot about making it good since they'll already have your money. Maybe they'll give you a bonus buck that can only be spent in their store (Utter refusal to refund anything) forcing you to leave your money with them.
They keep the green and give you the shaft.

My 2 cents about it.

+1 For Saberkitty. With proper case ventilation it won't break a sweat running 9590.
Just use a fan to direct some airflow on the VRM heatsink if you liquid cool.

SaboKitty for non-hardcore benchers and daily users.

Going hard core extreme benching or need a top of the line board BruglaR had it right in post #15.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z $225
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 $ 200 <<--- hard to find sometimes for a cheap price
ASRock 990FX Extreme9 $189-220 depending on where you shop

Plus the Sabo.....

Out of the four, I've had three excluding the AsRock..... I like the Crosshair Formula-z the mostest!

That's right, the Sabo is a good choice for most anyone running one of these chips but if going for the max a CHV-Z stands out from the rest.
I own both and the CHV-Z is simply top-notch, well worth the $$ spent and delivers. The Sabo itself isn't a bad choice and runs fine with whatever you may have for it but it's not an uber-clocking board like the CHV-Z is. For the OP's purposes a Sabo would be the thing unless they are wanting to push things to the absolute limit - That's where the CHV-Z would come in.

Back