• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some AM1 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Please have a look at this image of the MSi AM1i

MSI%20AM1I%20Top.png

Here is the full size image

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7945/MSI AM1I Top.png

Does it look to you guys like I'll be able to fit my PSUs solid 8pin CPU power connector? It only has 4 pin on the motherboard. It looks like the cable running to the battery near the 4 pin CPU power may interfere with a full size 8 pin connector.

This is the only decent board that is well reviewed (Toms Hardware suggested buy) that I can buy at Brick and Mortar. Otherwise I will have to buy the Gigabyte Am1mS2H from Newegg which was also well reviewed by Tom's Hardware.

Do you guys think I can fit my 8 pin CPU power connector on the AM1i? Or should I skip it and go for the AM1MS2H?

Also, does anybody know how to uninstall the AM1 reference heatsink? I can't figure out how to pull the pins out. Seems like a really horrible design. Can't find anything online about uninstallation. I need to move my mom's Athlon over to a new board. Long story.

Please help out folks

Cheers to the AMD people.

Last edited:
I assume you can't get ASUS AM1I-A. There is enough space for 8 pins and board is good quality + can overclock ( maybe can use in the future ).

I can get the ASUS board yes. Now that I know I can get the adapter at CC I think I can figure the rest out on my own. Thanks everybody.

I was not going to say anything since I figured you to buy...

...to buy one of the better motherboards where an adapter would not even be needed but I am guessing you are cheap0 shopping some more.

CableHero 4-in-1 EPS12V/ATX12V 4/8-Pin to EPS12V/ATX12V 4/8-Pin EXTENSION OR CONVERSION ADAPTER CABLE: CABLEHERO-M84M84F

Here is "my" problem with a 4 pin molex to ATX12V 4 pin adapter. In a single rail power supply there is not a possible issue with load balancing across the power supply outputs. However if a 12V, multi-rail power supply is well engineered, they have internally designed the power supply to ouput cpu power which is the greatest the supply will have to output and have it balanced against what the other power cables put out. If you move the cpu 'power' connector over onto a rail it was not intended for (with molex to 4pin ATX12V) and then load that other rail heavily supplying ATX 12V to the mobo...there can be issues.

Will there be issues? Not in single rail power supplies but there can be if using a multi-rail power supply for the 12V power.

RGone...

...to buy one of the better motherboards where an adapter would not even be needed but I am guessing you are cheap0 shopping some more.

CableHero 4-in-1 EPS12V/ATX12V 4/8-Pin to EPS12V/ATX12V 4/8-Pin EXTENSION OR CONVERSION ADAPTER CABLE: CABLEHERO-M84M84F

Here is "my" problem with a 4 pin molex to ATX12V 4 pin adapter. In a single rail power supply there is not a possible issue with load balancing across the power supply outputs. However if a 12V, multi-rail power supply is well engineered, they have internally designed the power supply to ouput cpu power which is the greatest the supply will have to output and have it balanced against what the other power cables put out. If you move the cpu 'power' connector over onto a rail it was not intended for (with molex to 4pin ATX12V) and then load that other rail heavily supplying ATX 12V to the mobo...there can be issues.

Will there be issues? Not in single rail power supplies but there can be if using a multi-rail power supply for the 12V power.

RGone...

I don't cheapo shop with my own money but I do cheapo shop with other people's money when they say things like "as cheap as possible" and "affordable".

Back