• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking XFX 290x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phaesal

I have heard that there are major issues with the temperatures on XFX's BEAUTIFUL 290x design.
I was wondering if anyone here has had first hand experience OC'ing said GPU, and at what level is it safe to do so?
This will be my first time OC'ing, and I am still waiting for it to arrive in the mail...
I must admit, I am very apprehensive when it comes to this..

Keep temps under 90c when stress testing (unigine heaven) and all should be well.
just do one thing at a time, core or memory.

If you have a single-fan reference model, OC'ing is not really a good idea. Two or three fan variants can be OC'ed if necessary.

The reference model can be overclocked under the same constraints as others. It just likely cannot be pushed as far. ;)

The reference model can be overclocked under the same constraints as others. It just likely cannot be pushed as far. ;)

Except when you raise the volts, up the Hz, max out the load to 100%, you'll very shortly reach 90C+. The reference cooler can't handle the heat a 290X puts out. Even my former 290 Reference would get to 90C under load when overclocked just a bit. You can do it, but I really don't think it is worth it with a reference cooler 290X.

Back