• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED I have an IBM ThinkPad T30 and I want to upgrade it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KleinWolf

Hy, I have an IBM ThinkPad T 30. I want to install on it a better prossesor, more RAM and a bigger internrl storage.I red an other post and I found that I can install 2gb of RAM and I think that I can put a 100gb storage, but I don't know what prossesor to install.So I ask you what prossesor will it support because I think thai it can't work whit an i3 or something like that.
(I think that I have some mistakes so please correct them)
Thank You!

Last edited:
As far as the processor is concerned, it's unlikely that you would find one that will work for that board at a reasonable price (ie- not cost more than the laptop is worth). Ram can be upgraded to 1GB according to my research (assuming 2 DIMM slots, that would be 512MB per slot). 100GB of storage should work fine, so long as it's the correct connection.

As far as the processor is concerned, it's unlikely that you would find one that will work for that board at a reasonable price (ie- not cost more than the laptop is worth). Ram can be upgraded to 1GB according to my research (assuming 2 DIMM slots, that would be 512MB per slot). 100GB of storage should work fine, so long as it's the correct connection.

I have to kind of agree with the price comment. Is there any reason you want to stay with the T30? After upgrading the RAM, CPU, and HDD, you're probably looking at the price of a newer used laptop. Especially if you want to wipe the T30 and sell that off.

That being said, if you have to stay with the T30, it looks like you're limited to 1GB ram and it takes DDR266/PC2100. For the CPU, a few other forum posts say it'll take up to a 2.6GHZ model SL6WZ, but the few I did see on ebay are $50-$75. You'd probably be better off with a 2.4GHZ P4M (SL6K5, SL6LS, or SL6VC), which seem to be in the $25-$30 range, and you probably won't notice that missing 200mhz too much. You're right, it won't take anything newer than that. For storage, it'll probably be your typical 40pin IDE drive.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for yout reply, but I have another question: would this hdd work? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-laptop-notebook-Free/1239747_1859492656.html

It should.

I have to kind of agree with the price comment. Is there any reason you want to stay with the T30? After upgrading the RAM, CPU, and HDD, you're probably looking at the price of a newer used laptop. Especially if you want to wipe the T30 and sell that off.

That being said, if you have to stay with the T30, it looks like you're limited to 1GB ram and it takes DDR266/PC2100. For the CPU, a few other forum posts say it'll take up to a 2.6GHZ model SL6WZ, but the few I did see on ebay are $50-$75. You'd probably be better off with a 2.4GHZ P4M (SL6K5, SL6LS, or SL6VC), which seem to be in the $25-$30 range, and you probably won't notice that missing 200mhz too much. You're right, it won't take anything newer than that. For storage, it'll probably be your typical 40pin IDE drive.

Hope that helps.

Yea, that's what I meant about the price, was kinda distracted when I wrote that.

You can pick up a decent Acer or whatever laptop from Walmart for like $300 these days. That would be a much better upgrade than messing with old hardware.

Back