• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4K gaming worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What GPUs are you running?
I know it's two of them, but I don't remember what they are.

You'd have a lot smoother experience on the U2715H, as it's 1440p.
2x 290X is kind of a "minimum" for 4K gaming.

You'd have a lot smoother experience on the U2715H, as it's 1440p.
2x 290X is kind of a "minimum" for 4K gaming.

ya i kinda wanted a reason to OC... right now at 1080p my cards are able to run 60hz by them self.. just not sure if 4k would be too small, but if it looks as good as my tv im sold :p

That's a good question for MMOs and Mobas.

I would say for Mobas I don't think I would go with 4K because you won't be gaining any additional view area (unless I'm wrong, someone correct me otherwise) and I haven't really found any MOBAs that would really push the graphics card to even look 'good' at 4K (since the graphics tend to be pretty basic in LoL and DOTA, assuming you play one of those two).

For MMOs I could see it going either way, they tend to be more CPU-bound [at least WoW] that you would have to check to see if they even take advantage of SLI/Xfire to want to push the higher resolution without any serious drops in frames. You would pretty much require an MMO that would allow for an adjustable HUD (ala WoW via mods/etc) so that everything wouldn't be so small that you couldn't read the numbers/health bars/etc.

Personally, I would probably go 1440p with a higher refresh rate if you want to push the cards. For instance, my 2x290x has 0 issues hitting 60 fps constant in BF4 with 1440p with all settings on ultra (and turned down MSAA because you just don't need it at that high of a res)

i wish dell had a 60+hz 1440p monitor... i have a $400 gift card with them, and well i want to get a monitor using it.. in fact i placed the order for the u2715h, and then i just saw the p2715 and was umm 4k for same price

I called dell and they cant cancel my order soooo i guess ill try that U2715H, also found out that it is overclockable to 90Hz so maybe 1440p at 90FPS will give me a reason to OC

So i got the monitor yesterday and ummmm im not feeling it... I can run metro last light all max at 60 fps with no OC, also im not sure it looks that different than 1200p at least in gaming... ummmmm

Return and upgrade to 4K then I guess?

I have 2x27 1440p screens and a 1920x1200 screen in my array infront of me and can definitely tell the difference (especially in desktop mode), but like I said above, I don't have any issues running any games that support xfire 290xs at 60fps at 1440p.

yes in desktop mode i can see the difference... but not much in games...

Maybe ill wait for more 144hz 1440p to come out of the closet

I did read a bit more about 4k and people do complain that it is very small and scaling sucks in some games... umm

I have a UP2414Q and two U2515H. The UP2414Q is far nicer looking (besides being 4k, it is also 10-bit color), but my single 7970 was not enough to have high settings in games.

Also, some game engines have bugs:

Source engine doesn't scale text as much as it scales graphics, so the game itself will look fine, but chat is way too small.
Some games (Wasteland 2, Prison Architect) seem to do some wonky scaling based on fixed resolutions instead of just scaling the whole UI, and then end up with elements off-screen because they don't account for UHD resolution.
Most Java applications don't scale anything at all. Seems to be a lot of silly developers who still think writing things with fixed pixel counts is an okay way to write UIs, and Java seems to discourage relative sizing in the first place :bang head
Windows 8 sets a single scaling level for all displays, even if they are different resolutions. You cannot put a 1080p screen next to your 2160p screen and use one for your desktop and movies and the smaller one for gaming; Windows will scale for the larger screen, and everything on the smaller screen will be ginormous.

If you don't care about text chat, Source games otherwise look great on 4k. Makes Day of Defeat look almost like a new release :)

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Dell P2715Q for the last couple days but still not sure that I'm ready for 4K.
$512 after coupon + tax is VERY tempting....I've up to the 16th to make decision before it expires.
I don't game and mainly use it for photos.

I've been eyeing the Dell P2715Q for the last couple days but still not sure that I'm ready for 4K.
$512 after coupon + tax is VERY tempting....I've up to the 16th to make decision before it expires.
I don't game and mainly use it for photos.

If you mainly use it for photos, and you're currently on an 8-bit screen, you'll find the 10-bit color very much worth it. Anybody who claims that "8-bit is all a human eye can see" is either partially blind or just afraid of the price of 10-bit screens :)

If you mainly use it for photos, and you're currently on an 8-bit screen, you'll find the 10-bit color very much worth it. Anybody who claims that "8-bit is all a human eye can see" is either partially blind or just afraid of the price of 10-bit screens :)

Not to mention the real estate. You could edit up to 8MP pictures without needing to scale it.

Back