• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cryptowall 3.0 Ransomware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Has anyone successfully dealt with this? A friend of mine has it on his Pc and it has basically encrypted everything on it. Unfortunately he has pictures and other important files that may be lost for good. I'm just curious if anyone has dealt with this nasty bug.

At least for a while most people just said to pay the BTC price to get it over with. I'm not sure if anyone found any successful ways to get rid of it since then. I'll check /r/sysadmin I believe I saw a post there a week or so ago about it.

Looks like the best bet is to pay the ransom and get it over with. Decrypting the encryption would take years upon years.
https://www.digicert.com/TimeTravel/math.htm

being in the 4billion year range. Unless someone has posted decryption keys somewhere I'd say they are out of luck and should be more careful next time.

it looks like pay the btc and install crypto prevent, if he wants his stuff back, but a drive overwrite and reinstall are in order.
we have seen a few that have paid, got it decrypted and a few days later, bam! back in the same boat.

Apparently, he sent the computer to a pretty reputable local Pc repair shop. They told him they have had 3 people that came in who had paid the $500.00 ransom and received no keys to decrypt it. I doubt he will be paying any ransom.

well if he has no backups, even windows back up it's all lost.
the only other option is to hack the key, but you're looking at many, many years.

Isn't this the one that got busted and the US government hosted a site with all the decryption keys?

Isn't this the one that got busted and the US government hosted a site with all the decryption keys?
I'm not sure it think it's a variation his minions created. My buddy will be contacting the cyber crimes division to see if there is anything he can do.

boot to safemode with cmd, run explorer.exe, run combo fix works for almost every other kind of randsomeware ive ran into.

Back