• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The future of AMD's Mantle API -- or lack thereof

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Official AMD Statement: http://community.amd.com/community/...g/2015/03/02/on-apis-and-the-future-of-mantle

AMD said:
AMD's Mantle Graphics API has gathered incredible momentum in its first year, gaining support from five advanced game engines and 10 premium applications.

Mantle has also revolutionized the industry's thinking on low-overhead/high-throughput graphics APIs as solutions that do not compromise developer productivity. Compelling content was delivered on Mantle in historically quick time, paving the way for various graphics standards bodies to move forward with conviction on their own similar API standards and specifications.

We are proud of these accomplishments, and we have been inspired by everything we have learned along the way. We also haven’t forgotten the promise we made: openness.

AMD is a company that fundamentally believes in technologies unfettered by restrictive contracts, licensing fees, vendor lock-ins or other arbitrary hurdles to solving the big challenges in graphics and computing. Mantle was destined to follow suit, and it does so today as we proudly announce that the 450-page programming guide and API reference for Mantle will be available this month (March, 2015) at www.amd.com/mantle.

This documentation will provide developers with a detailed look at the capabilities we’ve implemented and the design decisions we made, and we hope it will stimulate more discussion that leads to even better graphics API standards in the months and years ahead.

Proud moments also call for reflection, and today we are especially thoughtful about Mantle’s future. In the approaching era of DirectX® 12 and the Next-Generation OpenGL Initiative, AMD is helping to develop two incredibly powerful APIs that leverage many capabilities of the award-winning Graphics Core Next (GCN) Architecture.

AMD’s game development partners have similarly started to shift their focus, so it follows that 2015 will be a transitional year for Mantle. Our loyal customers are naturally curious about what this transition might entail, and we wanted to share some thoughts with you on where we will be taking Mantle next:

AMD will continue to support our trusted partners that have committed to Mantle in future projects, like Battlefield™ Hardline, with all the resources at our disposal.
Mantle’s definition of “open” must widen. It already has, in fact. This vital effort has replaced our intention to release a public Mantle SDK, and you will learn the facts on Thursday, March 5 at GDC 2015.
Mantle must take on new capabilities and evolve beyond mastery of the draw call. It will continue to serve AMD as a graphics innovation platform available to select partners with custom needs.
The Mantle SDK also remains available to partners who register in this co-development and evaluation program. However, if you are a developer interested in Mantle "1.0" functionality, we suggest that you focus your attention on DirectX® 12 or GLnext.

As an API born to tackle the big challenges in graphics, much of this evolution is already well under way. We invite you to join AMD this week at Game Developer Conference 2015 to see not just the future of Mantle, but the future of PC graphics itself.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9036/...changing-direction-in-face-of-dx12-and-glnext

Anandtech said:
Much has been made over the advent of low-level graphics APIs over the last year, with APIs based on this concept having sprouted up on a number of platforms in a very short period of time. For game developers this has changed the API landscape dramatically in the last couple of years, and it’s no surprise that as a result API news has been centered on the annual Game Developers Conference. With the 2015 conference taking place this week, we’re going to hear a lot more about it in the run-up to the release of DirectX 12 and other APIs.

Kicking things off this week is AMD, who is going first with an update on Mantle, their in-house low-level API. The first announced of the low-level APIs and so far limited to AMD’s GCN’s architecture, there has been quite a bit of pondering over the future of the API in light of the more recent developments of DirectX 12 and glNext. AMD in turn is seeking to answer these questions first, before Microsoft and Khronos take the stage later this week for their own announcements.

In a news post on AMD’s gaming website, AMD has announced that due to the progress on DX12 and glNext, the company is changing direction on the API. The API will be sticking around, but AMD’s earlier plans have partially changed. As originally planned, AMD is transitioning Mantle application development from a closed beta to a (quasi) released product – via the release of a programming guide and API reference this month – however AMD’s broader plans to also release a Mantle SDK to allow full access, particularly allowing iit to be implemented on other hardware, has been shelved. In place of that AMD is refocusing Mantle on being a “graphics innovation platform” to develop new technologies.

As far as “Mantle 1.0” is concerned, AMD is acknowledging at this point that Mantle’s greatest benefits – reduced CPU usage due to low-level command buffer submission – is something that DX12 and glNext can do just as well, negating the need for Mantle in this context. For AMD this is still something of a win because it has led to Microsoft and Khronos implementing the core ideas of Mantle in the first place, but it also means that Mantle would be relegated to a third wheel. As a result AMD is shifting focus, and advising developers looking to tap Mantle for its draw call benefits (and other features also found in DX12/glNext) to just use those forthcoming APIs instead.

Mantle’s new focus in turn is going to be a testbed for future graphics API development. Along with releasing the specifications for “Mantle 1.0”, AMD will essentially keep the closed beta program open for the continued development of Mantle, building it in conjunction with a limited number of partners in a fashion similar to how Mantle has been developed so far.

Thie biggest change here is that any plans to make Mantle open have been put on hold for the moment with the cancelation of the Mantle SDK. With Mantle going back into development and made redundant by DX12/glNext, AMD has canned what was from the start the hardest to develop/least likely to occur API feature, keeping it proprietary (at least for now) for future development. Which is not to say that AMD has given up on their “open” ideals entirely though, as the company is promising to deliver more information on their long-term plans for the API on the 5th, including their future plans for openness.

Mantle Pipeline States

As for what happens from here, we will have to see what AMD announces later this week. AMD’s announcement is essentially in two parts: today’s disclosure on the status of Mantle, and a further announcement on the 5th. It’s quite likely that AMD already has their future Mantle features in mind, and will want to discuss those after the DX12 and glNext disclosures.

Finally, from a consumer perspective Mantle won’t be going anywhere. Mantle remains in AMD’s drivers and Mantle applications continue to work, and for that matter there are still more Mantle enabled games to come (pretty much anything Frostbite, for a start). How many more games beyond 2015 though – basically anything post-DX12 – remains to be seen, as developers capable of targeting Mantle will almost certainly want to target DX12 as well as soon as it’s ready.

Source: AMD

TL;DR -- with the advent of DX12 and glNext Mantle becomes entirely redundant as a low-level API for graphics cards. So there won't be any future development of it in that way, the games that are already slated to come out with Mantle support will still ship with it (anything DICE/Frostbyte-engine it seems) but I wouldn't expect any real improvements in the future for the API and would plan to be looking to DX12-supported cards in the future.

this was basically my thoughts after i heard that microsoft brought an a more efficient api to the table.

Mantel was great in 1 way.

It forced Direct X's hand in developing a true next gen Direct X that supported multi CPU's and leveraged better performance from the HW available.

It as most AMD software eventually died but it did its job imho.

AMD wins either way as with the push towards leveraging more performance out of multi core cpu's their 8 core cheaper cpus instantly become more of a value to gamers over 4 core Intel's.

So even tho it feels like they failed they atleast made their cheaper than intel @ more core cpu's alot more relevant than they were which may even the playing field a bit.

Sounds like Wagex and I've been reading similar articles. I've read the DX12 will offer more throughput and efficiencies, but I believe that I read this week that it will also allow mixing NVidia/AMD cards in SLI/XFire.....or did I dream this?

Direct X is not Brand specific obviously.

its developed by neither AMD or Nvidia .

Its up to AMD or Nvidia too build their cards to work with DirectX not the other way around which is kind of what mantels issue was.

I, for one, don't foresee nVIDIA and AMD teaming up to make this compatible.
But, one can dream.

the way i like to look at it , thought it might be wrong... up till now dx still had all the old junk they just patched the software to accept newer hardware then piled in the new addons (eg lighting crap engine crap what ever) so it had to start back at the original crap for dx5 work its way through patches and crap to get to the newer stuff which was all just fluff connecting stuff together and was hard on the cpu, it seems like they went back and took all that extra crap out that didnt need to be there in the first place.
But, one can dream.
nvidia and amd dont matter direct x is built into windows its what almost every game uses regardless of gpu.

the way i like to look at it , thought it might be wrong... up till now dx still had all the old junk they just patched the software to accept newer hardware then piled in the new addons (eg lighting crap engine crap what ever) so it had to start back at the original crap for dx5 work its way through patches and crap to get to the newer stuff which was all just fluff connecting stuff together and was hard on the cpu, it seems like they went back and took all that extra crap out that didnt need to be there in the first place.

nvidia and amd dont matter direct x is built into windows its what almost every game uses regardless of gpu.

So what you're saying, is that DX can be crappy?

lmfao i just realized how many times i said crap, sorry man still on my first cup of coffee this morning droning away.

Spillover from the senior welcome thread Don... :p

Well, good try AMD. It was good thinking, Mantle. But with this coming, I suppose they still have TrueAudio...

But, one can dream.

DirectX like said above is Microsoft based.

Nvidia and AMD have no choice but to work with it or fall by the wayside.

Even games that have mantel have DX11 also, their is no working around that fact because no game designer is dumb enough to just include one option or the other(GPU Manufacture wise) that would be commercial suicide.

With DX12 having most of Mantels features AMD will for sure switch gears and develop for it because they wont want to have massive performance loss due to DX12 being the only option in a game.

So in the end its not about Nvidia and AMD working together at all. its about them working with Microsoft which is something they have both been doing since the two companies were born.

well I was gonna start a new thread asking why mantle wasn't working on my 7870/270X crossfire but it seems to be a moot point now.

I want developers to start using open sourced APIs to write games, and the developers of those APIs to counter things like tesselation and other DX-specific features with ones that rival DX. That way, games could be completely cross-platform and I could dump Windows in favor of a Linux distro.

Alas, I think that I'm dreaming too.

I want developers to start using open sourced APIs to write games, and the developers of those APIs to counter things like tesselation and other DX-specific features with ones that rival DX. That way, games could be completely cross-platform and I could dump Windows in favor of a Linux distro.

You are not alone young warrior :salute:

You need to pay more attention to Steam's Linux library. It's happening, even if certain very-large-and-very-crappy publishers are trying to ignore it.

You need to pay more attention to Steam's Linux library. It's happening, even if certain very-large-and-very-crappy publishers are trying to ignore it.

I realize that some games are inherently cross platform, however most of the ones that I want to play depend on DX. Unfortunately, DX simply does a better job for 3D gaming. If and when OpenGL or likewise begins to catch up, more AAA developers may start writing for those libraries either in tandem with or instead of DX, thereby completely overturning any need for Windows for people like me. I don't want to have to emulate for new games, nor do I want to "convert" (poor choice of terminology, but you get the idea) new games to OpenGL. I want AAA games designed to run on open sourced OSs without the need to jump through hoops to get them running.

Anyway, this is all very off topic.

Unfortunately, DX simply does a better job for 3D gaming.

Doesn't really, just tends to be used by bigger studios (with therefore bigger art departments and/or budgets). If they shifted that development quota over to OpenGL, it'd do just as good a job.

Back