• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why not a Mini GTX 970 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motherboard1

I'm looking at these things and they seam to be priced similarly to full sized versions of the card, as well they sport the same ports and clock speeds. What am I missing here, is their any reason not to buy a mini version?

I would suspect them to run a fair bit warmer. For many that would keep them away, especially if you are wanting to get good overclocks from it. Other than that, no reason at all

I'd suspect lower overclocking headroom because of a likely smaller cooler. Otherwise, I'm sure it will be fine.

They would fit a shorter case, but not a narrower one. It would be cool if they made a low profile-ready variant, but it probably wouldn't fit all cases. Definitely not a something to run above stock unless there's some clever water cooling.

Definitely not a something to run above stock unless there's some clever water cooling.
On the contrary. You can overclock on air on the smaller ones too... :shrug:. I just mentioned above in fact...
I'd suspect lower overclocking headroom because of a likely smaller cooler.

been wanting one of these shorty's for my lian li pc-07 build :) 750ti is holding up for now tho.

These little cards can surprise you with their performance sometimes. I haven't gotten a chance to really sit down and play with our own mini GTX 970 OC, but I remember testing the GTX 760 GC Mini and inexplicably it outperformed the full size and slightly higher clocked 760 GC by a small amount. It was a bit warmer and just a few dB louder under full load, but even so it was considerably cooler and quieter than the reference version. I'd expect the same with the 970 OC.

Here's a link if you're interested in taking a look:
http://www.galaxstore.net/GALAX-NVIDIA-GEFORCE-GTX-970-OC-4GB-p/97nph6dt8rvz.htm

The Galaxy mini GTX970 is definitely interesting but I'm in Canada, distance/delivery time and possible brokerage fees come into consideration. Btw I've decided on the GTX 970 SSC (1190/1342 preset).

On the contrary. You can overclock on air on the smaller ones too... :shrug:. I just mentioned above in fact...

I was referring to a hypothetical low profile bracket card, not this 970. I would think some overclocking would be possible on air. But I have an ITx case with very little space so it wouldn't fit. I use a midatx for larger GPUs. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160392&d=1424809108 if it were narrower and longer it would be ideal for desktops, but the demand is so low and and the shape is a little irregular unless you remember the riser days that there's little need to manufacture one.

Last edited:
I was referring to a hypothetical low profile bracket card, not this 970. I would think some overclocking would be possible on air. But I have an ITx case with very little space so it wouldn't fit. I use a midatx for larger GPUs. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=160392&d=1424809108 if it were narrower and longer it would be ideal for desktops, but the demand is so low and and the shape is a little irregular unless you remember the riser days that there's little need to manufacture one.

reminds me of the 6870 i dreamed of puting in my htpc hd-687a-zdfc-03.jpg

Why did Galax send a confirmation email thanking me for my purchase? Order #328.
I logged into PP to see the conversion but 100% did not pull the trigger. I checked in PP and no activity is showing so it looks fine. Still that email though ...

Why did Galax send a confirmation email thanking me for my purchase? Order #328.
I logged into PP to see the conversion but 100% did not pull the trigger. I checked in PP and no activity is showing so it looks fine. Still that email though ...

We have someone checking over every order each day, so if you didn't go all the way through with the purchase then there's no risk of getting charged for anything. Going a past a certain point does generate an order# in our system, basically just to call dibs on the card so someone else can't buy it out from under you during the payment process, but that's really strange that you got a confirmation email without actually buying it. I'll check it out and see what the deal is. Thanks for sharing.

I want one for my sff build but the heat is what scares me. I have to worry about temps in a small build

Back