• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shifting to a higher gear

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I finally got a round tuit and installed the 1st of two AMD 7870 cards torin3 so kindly passed over to me a short while back. We call this RAOK. Random act of kindness. Everything installed without a hitch.

However the installer didn't give me the option of not using my CPU slot so I just set it to finish the WU it automatically downloaded and then I'll disable the CPU slot.

I've still got to get two molex -> 6 pin PCIe adapters so I can run the 2nd card asap.

Looks like I'll be getting 80kPPD from this first card. Not too shabby considering I was struggling to get 6kPPD with SMP folding. Should be double PPD with both cards folding.

Thanx again torin3 :thup:

I got the adapters for the 2nd card so I can install it today. Also getting a 750W PCP&C PS for long term operation. My 610W PCP&C can handle the load, but I don't like running a PS flat out 24/7. Even a pre OCZ PCP&C unit.

Sure is taking Stanford a long time to credit the GPU WUs. That last SMP went right up in the stats withing a few hours.

Sure is taking Stanford a long time to credit the GPU WUs. That last SMP went right up in the stats withing a few hours.

Hi audioaficionado (team 32),
Your WU (P9201 R387 C4 G286) was added to the stats database on 2015-03-05 16:09:24 for 14736 points of credit.

You just missed the cutoff for the 6PM update at EOC so it showed up with the 9PM update. That is normal. ;)

Something is screwy. After I put in the 2nd card, computer won't boot into windows. Missing boot file. I'll work on it tomorrow and get it figured out. BIOS got reset and I think that is most of the problem with the devices. @nd card is also cool, so a power connector must be wrong.

Update: Turns out the BIOS reset screwed up the RAID settings. Set it back to RAID and it booted up. 2nd card is now folding as well. Predicted PPD: 155k

Temps of the cards is almost 80°C Hope that isn't too close to Tmax cause summer isn't even close yet. Top card's heat pipes are too hot to hold my finger against for more than a second or two. Bottom card isn't as hot.

Last edited:
Previous unit may have been lost due to corruption. Looks like things are going fine now;

Hi audioaficionado (team 32),
Your WU (P9201 R50 C4 G229) was added to the stats database on 2015-03-06 09:06:38 for 23448 points of credit.

Yeah that one WU is worth 4 days of SMP folding and it feels cooler in my room so I think the power usage is lower too.

I can't stop you from passing, but I'll delay it another week once I get up to 100+kPPD. I'd have to spend lots of bux to beat you back. I don't have it so you're safe :D

You'll be getting a little respite, I've had 2 crashes since last night, stupid computer jsut black screens and won't do anything, no idea how many hours I've lost each time.

It's warmed up quite a bit here so today I left the case fans at 100%

I increased the gpu vcore a tiny bit and it seems to have helped. Got my gpu fans at 80%. Still found one spinning its wheels last night. Had to quit GPU_FAH and restart the client to get it working again. Maybe I'll have to tweak the vcore up another notch.

Well that was annoying. Just had a BSOD while posting everything was going great :mad:

Max vcore = 1238mv. Bumped it up again to 1244mv and it started artifacting.

Last edited:
Back