• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with adding second pump to loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Everendless

Just bought XSPC Raystorm w/ EX240 Radiator/750 Pump/Res, an extra XSPC RX120 rad and some cool fitting that I checked will fit :D
In a few weeks to come, I will be buying the waterblocks for both of my gpus. Which brought me to question if the pump will do all this. After a bunch of poking around, plenty of people said that pump will not handle CPU + GPU, which I totally understand.

My question is, what pump or even pump/res combo (preferably in a tube version) can I get to run in series with the pump that is in the raystorm kit.

XSPC Raystorm w/ EX240 Radiator/750 Pump/Res KIT

XSPC X20 750 (Black Revision 4) (Pump that comes in the res)

What other options can be done? Im willing to pay a shiny penny for something that will work well, since it cant over power the x20 750. A single pump would do but im looking for a tube pump combo that is around the performance of the XSPC X20 750 (Black Revision 4).

Need any advice. looking to do this at the end of the week. Is my best bet to get a d5, and just unplug the dual bay res/pump combo and use it for looks and as a second res? Or what pump will work with it?

:welcome: to OCFs, first and foremost.

Secondly, I'd like to recommend at taking a look at the stronger pumps of the XSPC Raystorm combo line. This would be the equivalent from your existing EX240 kit to the upgraded pump. My guess with the 750 is it won't run as efficient within range as opposed to the D5s or DDC pumps would.

I would advise on seeing if you're able to trade for the D5 version and pay the different or return for a full refund and purchase the stronger kit, etc.

I dont really wanna send it back. I just need a pump that will work with it.

The x20 750 pump/res
198 gallons an hour and 5.9 feet max head.

It will still run everything but not sure in the most efficient range of 1.0-1.5 GPM. Another pump isn't necessarily needed, plus you will end up with one pump working harder than the other and that can cause problems down the road, me thinks.

Again, you should be ok. Try keeping the loop as short and simple as possible with the use of angled fittings if needed.

Essentially it will work , The pump should flow "ok" (not amazingly) but will be weak on pressure which is where those pumps seem to be weak so hopefully your blocks aren't higher pressure lower flow.

Many will advise against using them based off people saying they fail often which is the largest complaint against XSPC AIO Pump/bayres combo's.

I have run one in my Guest PC for a few years without issue but if i was doing it again id prob just get a res and MCPXXX (any will do better).

So , Yes it should work, It wont be ideal , watch your temps , Set a temp alarm in-case it fails , likely it will work alright though.

adding a 2nd inline pump is a patch job and is not advised as a solution.

The answer to this is a little more complex than just simply will it or won't it work.
Fundamentally, the pump will work fine with the extra blocks added. A much more powerful pump like the D5 or the DDC's will of course provide a much higher flow rate but that does not translate to significantly lower temperatures. I see all the time people choosing a pump because it is the most powerful ... but then they end up running it at low speed where it makes no more pressure than a small pump, because it makes such a small difference to temps.

Just as a simple example the difference between (D5) full pump power and minimum pump power (which is less than the 750 produces) is 4 degrees C on my GPU's. Higher flow rates are useful, but not essential.

Probably the most noticeable difference between the 750 and a good pump is when filling and bleeding the system. High flow rates are important and useful then. It forces air bubbles out of places they will be trapped at lower flows.
More important than that though is the life of the pump. I firmly believe the cheaper pumps are a false economy and that to buy anything other than a D5 or DDC will just mean having to spend the money you save later on.

So yeah, the system will work just fine with the 750. I would still definitely buy a D5 though and either just use the 750 as a res, or just remove it entirely for one of these
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/res-pump-combo/ek-d5/ek-dbay-d5-pwm-incl-pump.html
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/res-pump-combo/ek-d5/ek-xres-140-d5-pwm-incl-pump.html

Last edited:
Back