• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unorthodox cooling on 240mm radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deankh

On my current case and my hopefully new case (corsair 200r and cooler master storm scout 2) there is room to top-mount two 120mm fans or one 240mm radiator but not both, due to interfering with ram, or other motherboard heatsinks or such
. My question is, would I suffer in terms of cooling performance on my h100i by mounting 3x80mm fans? I have it ghetto mounted right now with two 120mm fans and my i7 3770k OC'd to 4ghz at stock voltage and my temps are 28C idle and 60C at full load. If I clock it to 3.7ghz will the smaller fan config on the radiator, will my temps be considerably higher?

Last edited:
Yes, 120x2x2 is 480 mm of fannage. 80x2x2 is only 320 mm area. You loose 33% of your cooling. So yes temps will be higher. It also depends on the quality of the fans. If you were to put two 100 mm deep 6000 RPM 80 mm fans, you'd get MORE cooling.

Will it fit? Dunno. That's a pretty small case

Don't use 3x80mm fans, please...
As conumdrum said, you won't be using the full radiator to cool at that point.

If you want to change the fans, put better 120mm fans on, not 80mm.

Back