• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

case recommendations for full atx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rescuetoaster

Hey all,
I'm trying to work out a way to nicely convert what remains of my gaming rig into an HTPC, but the current midtower I have will not suffice. I'd like to get something that can fit a full atx motherboard into a form factor like the cooler master elite 110/130 form factor, but I can't find anything like that.

Can anyone recommend a decent box style replacement?

Have you looked at the HAF-XB? Looks very similar to the Elite 130. You'll have a hard time finding a small case for an ATX board.

I did - that is a cool case, but is a bit large for my needs.

I actually went to microcenter and got the parts I had originally intended on using for this project - an a6 7400k and a microATX gigabyte board for a total of 90 dollars. Problem now is that I can't find a suitable case for it. I have about 9.5 inches of vertical clearance in the entertainment stand under my TV, and can't find anything like the elite series cases, and I sort of hate the HTPC cases they sell on newegg.

I thought you said you needed to fit a Full ATX? There's plenty of mATX cases.

Some suggestions.

1. Fractal Designs Node 604
Specifications

ATX, microATX, Mini ITX, DTX motherboard compatibility
7 expansion slots
4 - supports either 2.5" or 3.5" HDD / SSD
1 slim-line ODD (only supported with mATX or smaller motherboards)
PSU compatibility: 180 mm (including any modular connectors) with both hard drive cages mounted or 190 mm (excluding cables and any modular connectors) with one hard drive cage mounted
CPU cooler compatibility: Approx 125mm with side-mounted fans - For coolers with top-mounted fans, Fractal Design recommends that you add at least 30 mm clearance for decent airflow
Case dimensions (W x H x D): 445 x 164 x 349 mm (excluding front panel - 440 x 162 x 341 mm)
Net weight: 6.0 kg

2. ThermalTake A30
Model VM700A3W2N
Case Type Mini Case
Dimension (H x W x D) 266 x 291 x 456 mm
(10.5 x 11.5 x 18.0 inch)
Net Weight 5.7kg / 12.6 lb
Side Panel Window
Color Exterior & Interior : Black & Red
Material SECC & AL
Cooling System Front (intake) :
90 x 90 x 25 mm blue LED fan (1200rpm, 16dBA )
Rear (exhaust) :
60 x 60 x 25 mm fan x 2 (1500rpm,18dBA)
Top (exhaust) :
200 x 200 x 20 mm blue LED fan (800rpm, 15dBA)
Drive Bays - Accessible : 2 x 5.25’’, 1 x 3.5’’
– Hidden : 2 x 3.5’’ , 2 x 2.5”
Expansion Slots 4
Motherboards 9.6” x 9.6” (Micro ATX), Mini-ITX
I/O Ports USB 3.0 x 2, HD Audio x 1
PSU Standard PS2 PSU
Other CPU cooler height limitation: 90mm
VGA length limitation: 350mm

3. Silverstone LC19
Motherboard MoDT, Micro-ATX, Mini-ITX, DTX
Multimedia –
Drive Bay External Slim optical x 1
None
Internal 3.5″ x 1 or 2.5″ x 1 (vibration dampening)(LC19R only)
Cooling System Front –
Rear 1 x 50mm exhaust fan, 2200rpm, 19dBA (LC19R only)
Side 3 x 50mm fan slots (LC19R only)
Top Oversized CPU/NB vents
Bottom –
Internal –
Expansion Slot 1 (includes 1 x PCI riser card and 1 x PCI-Ex16 riser card) for LC19R
Front I/O Port USB 2.0 x 2
IEEE1394 x 1
audio x 1
MIC x 1
52-in-1 card reader (LC19R only)
Power Supply Fanless 120W DC/DC board & AC adapter
Operating system support –
Expansion Card width restriction-6.8″
Limitation of CPU cooler 37mm
Limitation of PSU DC board with external adapter
Net Weight 3.9 kg
Dimension 390 mm (W) x 68 mm (H) x 348 mm (D), 9.2 liters
Extra Slim optical drive IDE adapter

Yep, I did request a full size ATX - I scrapped that idea after doing some digging.

I like that A30i, it would be perfect if it were just an inch shorter. Thanks for the suggestions!

I ended up getting a Fractal Design Core 1000 on an open box sale at microcenter - it's fairly thin and just barely fits behind the TV, and is more or less completely hidden away.
So far things are working quite well, however, I noticed that when I close the netflix app (such as during a restart), the audio defaults back to stereo. I have to manually tell it to switch to dolby digital plus. It will retain this setting and play any title in dolby as long as I don't close the app.

Is there any way to set dolby as the default option? It always defaulted to dolby on the logitech revue.

Back