• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removal of the bonus for A4-core based projects starting March 2, 2015

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
FYI.........(Couple days old)

Removal of the bonus for A4-core based projects starting March 2, 2015
February 27, 2015 by Vijay Pande ·

The A4-core bonus was a 10% bonus started in mid 2012 as a temporary bonus to incentivize Folding@home donors to upgrade their clients to version 6.34 and above, allowing scientists using FAH to be able to research larger and more complex biological problems. This has been very successful allowing us to computationally investigate much larger systems including enzymes involved in cancers and vision (see recent blog posts and published work on the Src Kinase, protein kinase C, Rhodopsin, and many others).

While the A4 bonus was designed to be temporary, it has been in place for multiple years, considerably longer than its expected lifetime of three months. We believe it is now time to retire the A4 bonus. Therefore starting March 2, 2015, A4 core based projects will no longer receive both the 10% bonus and the quick return bonus. (They will continue to receive the quick return bonus like most other projects.)

The change should be seamless but please be aware that starting March 2, 2015, returning A4-core work units will see an approximate 10% drop in credited points.

Source

SMP folding takes another hit - not worth much - is it?

One wonders what thinking goes into decisions like this. I mean, they are giving 250,000+ points to GPUs but they have the time and energy to consider if an SMP folder, who is getting maybe 5000 points for a WU, should be docked the extra 10% bonus, or 500 points (or 0.2% of the GPU points given). Both donors are giving about the same power requirements. Why bother removing something so trivial? FAH just keeps stumbling over its own feet.

I call it weird.

For me, it's the last straw. I was considering adding 3 Maxwells but instead, come the summer, my folding will be cut back considerably to accommodate the summer heat.

Last edited:
I've been struggling with SMP for years and the points keep going lower. PG is just trying to move people over to the next platform GPU. When they move to a new computational modeling requirements, it will change again. It's not personal. Just what's needed for their research.

I've been struggling with SMP for years and the points keep going lower. PG is just trying to move people over to the next platform GPU. When they move to a new computational modeling requirements, it will change again. It's not personal. Just what's needed for their research.

I get the moving. But 10% isn't calculated to move anybody. If you don't understand 225k vs 5k as an incentive then nothing will move you - certainly not 10%.

It's just cold and mean spirited and simply demonstrates again PG's complete lack of respect for donors. The result of which has seen many donors leave PG; look at [H] as a good example.

So yep, I do take this kind of treatment personally. PG doesn't get it, but I do now, finally.

I get the moving. But 10% isn't calculated to move anybody. If you don't understand 225k vs 5k as an incentive then nothing will move you - certainly not 10%.

It's just cold and mean spirited and simply demonstrates again PG's complete lack of respect for donors. The result of which has seen many donors leave PG; look at [H] as a good example.

So yep, I do take this kind of treatment personally. PG doesn't get it, but I do now, finally.

Each individual is entitled to their own opinion. Choose whatever project you feel comfortable with. Do realize that ALL projects have "rewards" issues. Evidenced here, here, and here. Nothing new to the DC world.

Each individual is entitled to their own opinion. Choose whatever project you feel comfortable with. Do realize that ALL projects have "rewards" issues. Evidenced here, here, and here. Nothing new to the DC world.

It's not a question of my opinion or rewards, its a question of respect for donors. PG has lost a ton of donors as evidenced by all the zeros on the first page of every team. In our case 53%, for [H] 70%, and some of those with half a billion points. That is a lot of donors walking out the door after donating a lot of time and cash into the idea of FAH.

As a long time donor I don't want to see that happening and yet clearly something is wrong. PG has been repeatedly told they need better relations with donors and then they still make ridiculous decisions like removing a trivial bonus. It's just very sad and unnecessary.

Last edited:
Agreed, donor relations are less than perfect, but they are trying. Failing here, succeeding there. The pendulum never stops in the middle. It's a slippery slope. Insert whatever cliche you want, but investment is ultimately a donor decision no matter how finely you split the frog hairs.

No. The answer is that the problem is not unique to folding. The examples hopefully illustrate that they are trying to restore balance but please do realize it is not an easy or simple endeavor. I see the glass half full. Again, my opinion. You may have your own.

they are trying to restore balance but please do realize it is not an easy or simple endeavor. .

Nonsense, what has PG done in the past year to restore any balance? Lets see, they have closed BA, reduce a trivial bonus and they have announced a donor liaison who turned out to be for corporate donations, not the little guys at all. In addition, they have not announce changes to the points system as promised for over a year now. They have also cut off debates on their own forum when PG is criticized and left underlings to respond to legitimate concerns.

Can you give me an example of their "trying"? So far what they have done is ignored the situation for a year and done nothing to improve it. That is not "restoring balance" in my books. Some have even speculated that PG is planning to dump individual donors and go with super computers. That of course is their prerogative, but it would be decent to inform donors before those donors devote resources to a soon to be defunct cause. Not that I'm suggesting that PG would ever just suddenly dump donor equipment without at least a few weeks notice.

[Can you give me an example of their "trying"?] - ORION456

It would appear you have already made up your mind. Only a fool dare step on the land mine that lay ahead. ;)

I'm glad you agree that PG continues to disrespect donors.

Until I hear something to the contrary, I remain disapproving and disappointed.

Back