• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building after a LOOONG break, I need your feedback plz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lancemccoy

Hey guys, been years since I put together a rig and much has changed. My plan is to build a mid-level gaming rig with all-around capabilities and forward mod potential, so with this in mind I left a fair amount of head room (for example the mobo). This is designed to be a "sleeper," quiet and cool, and part of my consideration is noise and power consumption. please tell me what you think.

Here is my list so far:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

thx much,
Lance

I've heard that ASUS is having some issues with their boards recently. I run the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 and I would highly suggest it tbh

I'd change over to a SuperNova G2 750W and Z97 Extreme6, personally.

Also, no reason not to pick Win8.1.

I'd change over to a SuperNova G2 750W and Z97 Extreme6, personally.

Also, no reason not to pick Win8.1.

That Corsair PSU is actually cheaper right now than the SuperNova, any reason why you would still recommend it over the RM? I ask because I recently recommended that PSU to a friend, because I saw it in the trusted PSU list on this site and noticed that it's less expensive than the G2.

Edit: Nevermind, it was the HX 750, and they're the same price, but the SuperNova is out of stock on the 'egg.

Its a Tier2 PSU (the RM). Plenty serviceable, just not a Tier 1 for the same price as the EVGA which is a Tier 1. Again, the RM will be fine, just not the best for the money.

Back