• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD-FX 8370 OC Help Please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TwiztedUnique

I am looking into overclocking my 8370 and curious how I might go about it, thanks to anyone who takes time out of their day to help me out.

The specs of my Desktop are as follows:

PSU: Corsair CX750M
GPU: GTX 970 SC
CPU: AMD FX 8370 4.0-4.3
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
HDD: WD Blue 1Tb 5400Rpm
Mobo: GA-78LMT-USB3

Can I overclock with this setup? And how might I go about doing it safely.

Safe is subjective to the user. Reviewing your specs, I would advise against it. Your motherboard has only 4+1 phases. An 8 series CPU will beat that to death quickly.

What Mr.Scott said. I would recommend a motherboard upgrade even if you decide not to overclock.

Safe is subjective to the user. Reviewing your specs, I would advise against it. Your motherboard has only 4+1 phases. An 8 series CPU will beat that to death quickly.

I didn't think my Mobo was that bad.. :/ Any recommendations?

Mobo: GA-78LMT-USB3

Can I overclock with this setup? And how might I go about doing it safely.

I think Mr. Scott said it pretty well in that the term "safely" associated with the word "overclock" is an oxymoron. Oxymoron examples. A Fine Mess > absolutely unsure > accurate rumors. Surely those are oxymoronic.

So I do as normal...I began a couple of hour g00gle search with the search terms GA-78LMT-USB3 + overclock + substituted various cpus like FX-8350 or FX-8320 or even FX-6300.

Got some interesting results as I always do since many say Yes and others say No as an answer to the same question. Strange! Hehehe. Ah hah. Oxymoronic.

Link below is a very good read. What I find very interesting is that 4.0GHz on an 8 core FX processor is considered about the max without putting EXCESSIVE loads on the VRMs. H*ll 4.0Ghz is n0t nearly enough cpu speed to try and catch up with an Intel cpu with their high IPC.

Overclock FX-8320 on a Gigabyte 78LMT-usb3 with corcair H55

Gigabyte cut corners on Rev 5.0.
That GA 78lmt-usb3 comes in a number of Revisions.

REALLY???
Overclocking with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3. 6 Core FX-6300
NO > don't overclock it.
YES > It can overclock quite easily.

So if one really wished to have some 'safety', they would likely upgrade to a motherboard with a more 'robustly' constructed VRM section.

RGone...

Back