• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock Extreme4 z77 loud fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

this is for the GAK-COREi system.

so i purchased three SP140mm fans and an AF120. i attached all fans (that have three pin connectors) to the board and set the fan speeds in the UEFI. unfortunately, i did not notice any improvement in silence so i assumed its the board.

should i just go ahead and change the board out, clear bios setting, or purchase another board? if i have to purchase another board, it will have to be z87 or z97 because there are no more z77 boards on newegg...unless...ill check...

SP and AF fans are not exactly quiet. The problem isn't the board.

i checked RPM speed and it did not change no matter what setting i used. its got to be the board...

Then use a 7V adapter.

Are you sure you're not trying to PWM control a 3-pin fan or something like that?

all the fans in my computer are 3 pin. they are hooked up to all the fan headers on my motherboard. i have tried to change fan speed in bios and speedfan and none of them changed nor shown a difference in RPM speed.

currently installing asrock extreme tuner in hopes that i can change fan speeds there.

tried the asrock extreme utility. so it looks like only chassis fan 2 changes. i noticed its light dims a little when changing to a lower speed and vice versa. i cannot change the cpu and chassis fan 1 fans though.

See above about 7V adapter.

It'd be silly to buy a new motherboard because of fan control.

i have been googling about this problem i have been having and it turns out others have it as well. and its with the same board. and from what i also read, it looks like there are boards that will only allow fan control on certain fan headers. and im now sure that its the same for even the boards that are around 300 to 500+ dollars.

so it looks like in order to drop my fans down to around 700-900 for idle, i will have to buy a separate fan controller.

EDIT: to keep us on the same page here, its not the rush of air coming through the case that bothers me. its the whirring sound that bothers me.

sorry to sound so upset. you did nothing wrong. i am just upset that i cannot lower down the RPM to get rid of that whirring sound. and i do not want to purchase multiple 7v adapters just to lower fan noise.

If you want to be rid of the whirring sound, you have the wrong fans.
The SP and AF fans are known to have some bearing noise.

There are plenty of fans that I've run full out for years that don't have a whirr.

Back