• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More points on the horizon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
I've been pretty stagnant for the last 2 years. Just set & forget an old 6.34 smp client on as many core2duo's and old i5's as I could and let it run. Well, I recently imaged the labs here and decided not to continue folding on them because of how much power they use for 1-2k PPD each.... (87x 2.4 - 3.0 Core2Duos). And I've worked at bringing more i5's in the mix to compensate for that PPD loss. Still have at least a dozen to do.

But now the good news. Those lab computers are well passed retirement age, and I'm trying to get 87 new dekstops ordered. I haven't monitored the production capability of newer stock i5's in the last few years, but 10K PPD has been my estimate for 2nd gen ones I've had folding. The current desktop model we use is either 3rd or 4th gen. Will update when they come in. :D

Fold on!

I have also been stagnant, but I recently brought online 3 dedicated 7870s, I thought that did a good job to my PPD, then I looked at your stats, and I cried a little.

I just recently acquired two 7870s. Quite a jump from a single SMP Q6600 CPU.

Congrats on your impending upgrades & 900+kPPD Arkaine23 :thup:

First batch is on the way. Replacing 29 iMacs (not folding) and 14 desktops (up from dual core i5's to quad core i5's) at one location. Should boost production by around 350-400K PPD when the equipment gets here.

The 1st batch is here!!!! 4 palettes of i5 4520 desktops. I've gotten 8 setup so far, and there's 40+ of them.

Well that'll be nice for the team, it'll more than offset my loss in production since I removed my 3rd 7870 from my server.

24 are up and running now ( I do 8-12 per work day). 29 of these will be new in my farm (since the cuts I made in March anyway), so I estimate close to +300k PPD from them. 21 of them will replace an older model already folding. Those will be about +5k PPD each. So I'm hoping to go from around 550K PPD to just shy of 1M PPD as the stat tracker averages catch up this week and next.

I have two other sites to refresh and will probably have the same 1-2+ months of wait time. I'll tabulate and submit my replacement orders for them tomorrow. For sure 60 would be new to the farm (~600K PPD), and at least 40-50 would upgrade current farm members (200-250K PPD).

So when this project is all said and done, I'm hoping to produce around 1.7M - 1.8M PPD with somewhere in the neighborhood of 170-200 CPUs. I've always been pleasantly surprised by my estimates turning out lower than how it actually comes out though, so who knows.... Maybe I can hit 2M.

Last edited:
Had to bounce between sites today and scan inventory. All the while I was visually confirming in use systems and their model/age. I only added ~30k ppd today.

Put in a request for 62 desktops at the second site that needs refreshing. The third will need 58, but I'm going to stagger the two requests by at least 2-3 weeks so I don't get myself overloaded with work when the shipments come in.

I might not get approvals for the 3rd site. We may close it down in a couple of years and move to another location across town, in which case there's no point in ordering new 4 year lifecycle equipment now. Guess I'll see how it goes when I send that request.

+11 today, and that included the last of the pure additions to the farm for a bit. The rest are replacing gen1 dual core w/HT i5s with 4th Gen quad core i5s, which nets around +5K per day. Have 30 more of those to do.

I talked to a friend in Asset Control and my order of 62 more got approved and sent to the vendor. Should see those in late July I'd guess. The boats from China are slow.

Second batch of new desktops came in yesterday, much sooner than I was expecting. Hoping to have 20 of them unboxed and setup by the end of the day.

20 in one day. How long is you day?

Get yourself a nice assembly line system going, a good clone image system and a fast network and 20 machines in a day was the best we could ever do. With my work, we had a wonky network setup that slowed us down but 20 a day was our average.

The manufacturer loads our image. Pulling stuff out of the boxes and setting it up takes around 15 mins. It has about 10-15 mins of post-imaging processes to run, then I add folding, printers, and bind to domain. I do around 4-5 per hour. This is a site I dispatch to, and the drive there and back is more than 2 hours total.

I've added 12, and upgraded 5 so far. Will be able to add 8 more, and upgrade 52 others. 8 more adds are going to sit in a closet until we get some network drops for them.

Add = new i5 for my farm
upgrade = change from dual core 1st Gen i5 to quad core 4th Gen i5

Back