• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about building a new PC, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

Hello,
I have had my current system for a while now, I'd say early 2011, Just over the last week or so I have started to have blue screens of death. I did a fresh install of my win7 and I sill got the blue screens even with almost no software other than windows and my Microsoft office.

I know a blue screen can be caused by bad memory, motherboard and another several things. I don't want to spend months trying to trach down what is causing these blue screens. I will bite the bullet and build a new system. You can see what is in this system in my signature. I want to stay with Asus so I will buy a new Asus MB I would like to keep from having to buy a new CPU, what are the changes that my CPU is causing the blue screens??? If I get a bunch of you saying that the CPU is likely not the cause that is great, all I will have to do it replace the MB and Memory and upgrade my sata HD's to SSD'd
Please feel free to give me suggestions on which parts I just get,ie. which Asus MB, what memory etc. I look forward to your suggestions

You're going to have to get a new CPU if you get a new motherboard.
Even if you find a new motherboard in stock for 1156 you'll pay out the nose for it.

There.. back to its own thread. I only read the first paragraph which was essentially a copy of 3 other threads... LOL.

You're going to have to get a new CPU if you get a new motherboard.
Even if you find a new motherboard in stock for 1156 you'll pay out the nose for it.

I appreciate everyone who replies to help me but I am left confused when someone makes a comment and then nothing else. Asus does have a newer MB that will handle my CPU. If my CPU is not part of the issue why spend $350 + to buy a new CPU, I'd rather go with the MB that is for my current CPU. whatever I would pay out the nose for the MB for my current CPU is better than buying a new MB and CPU_ I would say that would be paying money out my Arse..:)

Its up to you if you want to pay a premium on old tech... are we sure its the motherboard in the first place? That is the other concern... you may be throwing money at the wrong parts.

The P7P55D Deluxe looks good here - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...s+socket+1156+motherboard&ghostText=&_sacat=0

I would save up for a new PC honestly as throwing money at parts may not even resolve the problem. I mena you straight up said you were going to build a new PC, but then the next sentence state you want to keep the CPU... I am really confused.......................

Realistically, of all the parts in your sig, the PSU is what I would suspect most. They weren't that great when new let alone 5+ years old now.
Without any testing though, you're just pitching parts till you win. Need more info buddy. ;)

Its up to you if you want to pay a premium on old tech... are we sure its the motherboard in the first place? That is the other concern... you may be throwing money at the wrong parts.

The P7P55D Deluxe looks good here - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...s+socket+1156+motherboard&ghostText=&_sacat=0

I would save up for a new PC honestly as throwing money at parts may not even resolve the problem. I mena you straight up said you were going to build a new PC, but then the next sentence state you want to keep the CPU... I am really confused.......................

I can see how what I said was confusing. If I get to the point where I can pin point what is causing my blue screens and I decide to build a new computer I should replace everything- I see your point and agree. You were reading my rambling mixed with my confusion why all of a sudden I am having blue screens , never got one since I switched from XP to Win7.

I am not rich by no means however I don't have to save up for a new computer. I just have to reach the point where I say heck with it I am going to build a new computer and to rule out any possible part that could be the cause I am going to replace everything. when I say everthing I mean everything, new case and new cpu MB memory and everything that needs to be replaced. Then I will not have to worry about not replacing a part and then find out if could have been that part that was causing my issues. Now I know for 100% my case is 100% sure that my blus screen could not be caused by my case unless it is a wire connection that cases have.

So if from this point on if I say everything I mean everything, every part to make my computer will be brand new and I will have nothing that is old.

Thanks for making me think about how I state things and thus making it hard for people who want to help me to do so.
I will post all my questions about a new build in this forum for "general hardware" thanks Dog for making me take a minute and stop worrying and think out my issues and realize I need to be meaning what I say so that it helps people who want to hep me can.

Thanks again
Ron

Ron,

Keep it in this thread... perhaps edit the first post a bit to be more clear when you have a handle on it. I dont want to merge/split any more threads! LOL!

Thanks man, and I will keep an eye out to help!

I am replying to this thread is this the right thread to communicate about hardware old and new when trying to decide if I want to build new and need some advice to help me decide which MB,CPU,Memory etc that I will need to discuss before pulling the string and buy the new parts. Am I posting to the correct thread now? It's been a long week and my confusion is getting the best of me and I hate that it is causing your problems trying to figure where I need help and where I don't
:)

Thanks
Ron

This thread, to me, has to do with your new build. Be it a new part for your current board, or completely new.

Realistically, of all the parts in your sig, the PSU is what I would suspect most. They weren't that great when new let alone 5+ years old now.
Without any testing though, you're just pitching parts till you win. Need more info buddy. ;)

MY PSU was replaced less than a year ago , it failed and it was replaced.

With what?
And maybe you suffered some collateral damage when it failed.
See, all this info is stuff we need to know to help you.

I'm guessing the same one...?... Which it still could be an issue. But typically a psu issue doesn't bsod, it just powers off. It would be worth it to try another if you have one though, or test your rails with. Multimeter.

I'm guessing the same one...?... Which it still could be an issue. But typically a psu issue doesn't bsod, it just powers off.
Most of the time yes, but a low power issue could create a problem elsewhere that does cause a BSOD. Still not enough info for a good assessment.

Back