• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Support with my case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyler_LFC

I've recently built a new PC and I've got everything working apart from the 2 case fans. The case fans wires are both molex that are attracted. I got a molex to 4 pin and plugged it into the cha_fan on the motherboard but it didn't seem to work. I read around and found out that they should probably to plugged into the power supply. What cable do I need? I have no 6 pin gpu left on my power supply, only got 2 8pin gpu sockets. What's the opposite of a molex? The the 2 pins plug into? Thanks, sorry if it was confusing.

What motherboard?
Is the header you plugged into on the motherboard 4 pin or 3?
If its Molex, you need a female Molex which is usually a standard cable in power supplies...

What power supply do you have? Is it a modular one or are all the cables permanently attached? My guess is modular or you would have found the proper molex plug already. It seems very unlikely that despite their obsolescence, a new power supply wouldn't have come with at least one molex connector line for just this purpose. Fans are about the only thing left that still use molex.

The molex to 4 pin adapter should have worked though. Is it possible that the chassis fan is turned off in the bios? I don't think I've ever seen that option in a bios, but I'm no expert on what is out there as I've only owned Asus boards and one evga.

The motherboard is asrock 990fx extreme3 and the power supply is corsair sc650m

Am I able to get an 8 pin that will go into the power supply and a female molex for the fans?

Last edited:
There is one, but it go's to a 4 pin which I tried plugging it into cha_fan but it hasn't worked! I checked the BIOS and all fans are full on. Should they even be plugged into the motherboard or should they be plugged into the power supply?

There is one, but it go's to a 4 pin which I tried plugging it into cha_fan but it hasn't worked! I checked the BIOS and all fans are full on. Should they even be plugged into the motherboard or should they be plugged into the power supply?
Please tell me you didn't plug the floppy molex into a fan header?

Oye.

There should be a cord in your PSU box that has female Molex ends. That is what you would plug the male Molex into.

The floppy 4 pin is the only one with a female molex on it and that's what I've tried using.

The fans are getting power becuase they are more stiff when the PC is on

Last edited:
could be bad, defective fans, give them a spin when the power is on and see if the start spinning ... Also, is there any obstructions to the fan i.e. when you close the case?

Did you plug them into what Mr Scott linked?

Yes

could be bad, defective fans, give them a spin when the power is on and see if the start spinning ... Also, is there any obstructions to the fan i.e. when you close the case?

Tried spinning them, nothing happens. Not closed the case yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any friends with any computer knowledge?

Yes, I'm on a computer systems course at college. I can't see why it's not working. Should I try getting a cable to plug the fans into the power supply?

Tyler can you please up load some pic of your wiring, especially the connections. Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying you may be making a huge mistake. Without actually seeing what you're working with makes it very difficult to visualize what's connected where.

These images may help. NOTICE The Floppy drive connector is different that the 4 pin fan connector.

old connectors.jpg
fan conns.png
EDIT: The 4 pin Molex Large is the same connector but adds an additional ground(Black) and a 12v(Yellow) wire. (Yellow/Black/Black/Red)

Last edited:
I was afraid of that. The black adapter you're using is for a floppy drive, not a motherboard fan header. Notice the guide bar near the 3rd pin. You should be plugging the 4 pin Molex large directly into another large molex straight from the PSU. The motherboard will not control these fans and they will run at full speed.

Back