• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't install xp on x79 (rivbe/4930k)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Getting very frustrated :/ Can't get xp installed on the rivbe. Have tried a few different versions of the os using usb and cd drives. The blue screen setup starts and all the files copy (including all the cards, keyboard, etc) but when it gets to the point where it says "Starting windows setup" it hangs then gives a 0x7B bsod. That bsod is related to input devices (which is what made me try disc instead of usb drive) but that's not the problem.

What the heck??? Anyone have ideas or been there, done that?

tia!

Have you attempted to install on a most basic system, i.e., just MB, HDD, KB+mouse, RAM, DVD or USB, monitor? If you can get an install, you can add more ingredients later.

Being that XP is so old, there may not be any compatible drivers for the board's hardware that is causing the blue screen. Strip it down the bare minimum as Robert17 suggested and try again. Also, does the board support PS/2 connections and do you have PS/2 hardware for it? If you at least have a PS/2 keyboard, install Windows sans mouse. It's not hard to navigate purely with keyboard.

Thanks folks. Yes...totally bare system...mobo, cpu, ram, mouse, kbd and vga card. Am running the drive in ide mode (not ahci) so don't think I need those drivers?

From wikipedia:
Partial support for Windows XP[edit]
The X79 chipset does not support installing Windows XP in AHCI mode for Intel's Serial ATA controllers as Intel won't release AHCI drivers for 32-bit Windows XP.[7] Windows XP can be installed in IDE mode but without SATA features enabled. For users that dual boot Windows XP with another operating system installed in AHCI mode, this means changing to IDE mode every time to boot into Windows XP and changing back to SATA to boot the other OS, or installing the other OS which supports AHCI also in IDE mode to prevent switching the setting in the BIOS each time. This restriction applies only to 32-bit Windows XP, 64-bit Windows XP is supported by Intel drivers.

For motherboards with X79 chipset but with third party SATA disk controllers, 32-bit Windows XP AHCI drivers may still be supported by the disk controller vendor (non-Intel).

UPDATE: Omg I can be a dummy! Had the cd drive plugged into a non-intel sata port. Moved it over to one of the intel ones and looks like I'm now in bidness.

For anyone who finds this thread and is having the same issue.....plug your cd drive into an intel sata port not anything else.

Last edited:
It's still the monster for some 2d and 3d benchmarks. Pretty much sucks for most anything else that I can think of.

Got it installed and loaded with everything I need. Only remaining issue is that I can't get sli working. Gpu-z shows both cards but sli disabled. NVCP doesn't show the usual configure option...shows something like start display settings configuration wizard or some such thing. Doesn't do anything selecting it :/

Back