• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Be careful when dealing with TigerDirect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Is it just me or has anyone else been left with a bad taste when purchasing from TigerDirect.

Recently, they had this deal for an Ultra Wireless N 300 USB dongle for $19.99 with a $20 rebate which made it free except for shipping. I ordered one on Feb. 28, the last day of the rebate period. The part arrived a couple dahys ago. Tonight when I went to assemble the rebate application material, I could find no record on Tiger's website of the rebate offer, either current or archived. I had the order number from the invoice and everything. Finally, I googled the thing and found the website for the rebate and was able to fill out the online application and download the form. I've never had a problem running down an old rebate offer with NewEgg or other venders.

I have also discovered over the years that TD's advertising can be misleading. They don't tell you everything you need to know. They leave out important details that might detract from the product's appeal. And they do things like throwing together parts that are not necessarily appropriate for each other in their barebone system deals.

What has been your experience with Tiger?

Does this count as bumping an old thread?

I ordered a 970 from TD last friday (late friday), normally I shop with newegg but I get sales tax in my state and it's cheaper for me to shop elsewhere even if the price is a bit higher. I check my order today and it still hasn't shipped, which irked me a bit since I paid a bit extra for 2 day shipping hoping to have it in today or tomorrow. So I called their CS and spent just under an hour on hold before speaking to someone, who told me that they were in the process of moving warehouses and all of their orders were delayed. He then asked me why I didn't buy an extra warranty for my card, to which I replied I spent the extra cash on shipping.

If they were moving warehouses, it would have been nice to see some notification on the site about this. If this was something actually time sensitive I'd be very unhappy. It's also not a good idea to ask someone why they didn't spend more money when they were obviously displeased with the service so far. I don't think it was something the rep personally did wrong, it sounded like he had to ask that no matter what. Bad procedure.

And an hour on hold early tuesday afternoon? Maybe if everyone else was calling in about late orders, otherwise that just seems unacceptable to me.

/rant

we have one in this state, I walk in to buy, it's just up and down and depends on who's in charge today.
I used to order in store when they did not have what I wanted on the shelf and pick it up the next week but I have given up on them for the most part due to the number of dropped balls and misorders.
as far as rebates, they send you an American express card and no one in the world takes them.

Wow. My only dealing with TD was back in mid 2010 , and everything was great. I got a barebones kit. It arrived in a couple days (standard shipping FL to OH) and everything was as promised. I even had a hard time installing the CPU cooler (AM2+ mobo and my first build) and when I called them about it the rep said "No problem. We'll send another." Next day I got a nice Zalman upgraded cooler and was told to keep the original. I contacted them for a copy of my receipt recently for the warranty on the mobo and got it the same day in my email. Sounds like they're suffering some growing pains. At least I hope that's it and not something more serious-like terminal greed.

alaric, they used to be just the best, at the walkin store here it just depends on who's in charge.
walk in with a dead gpu one day and it's rma it with (insert name), take it back next week and it's "wait right here, I'll grab you another".

Does this count as bumping an old thread?

I ordered a 970 from TD last friday (late friday), normally I shop with newegg but I get sales tax in my state and it's cheaper for me to shop elsewhere even if the price is a bit higher. I check my order today and it still hasn't shipped, which irked me a bit since I paid a bit extra for 2 day shipping hoping to have it in today or tomorrow. So I called their CS and spent just under an hour on hold before speaking to someone, who told me that they were in the process of moving warehouses and all of their orders were delayed. He then asked me why I didn't buy an extra warranty for my card, to which I replied I spent the extra cash on shipping.

If they were moving warehouses, it would have been nice to see some notification on the site about this. If this was something actually time sensitive I'd be very unhappy. It's also not a good idea to ask someone why they didn't spend more money when they were obviously displeased with the service so far. I don't think it was something the rep personally did wrong, it sounded like he had to ask that no matter what. Bad procedure.

And an hour on hold early tuesday afternoon? Maybe if everyone else was calling in about late orders, otherwise that just seems unacceptable to me.

/rant

Hi KonaKona,

I'm disappointed to learn that your recent experience with our Customer Service was less than exceptional. I apologize for any delay in shipping your order and that one of my colleagues attempted to up sell you on an extended warranty. Please contact us at [email protected] with your sales order number and additional details so that we can determine what we can do to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

- Eugene

Hi Eugene, I think you misread their post. The product they purchased was from tigerdirect and not newegg.

Thanks for being part of the forums and keeping an eye out for posts regarding the egg though!

The OP simply went through the rebate process wrong.

I've made ~100 orders with TD and have probably done ~75 rebate deals with them and have never, ever had a problem with the rebate deal if it was serviced by TD's 4myrebate.com carrier -- even when there was some accidental screwup with the offer details. Most recently, TD shipped a batch of HDDs that were OEM "brown box" units with no UPCs, which were required for the rebate. This would normally be the kiss of death. I called both TD and 4MR and they just said no prob, just include a note. I did and got the rebate.

The best way to do TD rebates is this:

Buy the item...immediately go to the CORRECT rebate page and fill out the appropriate offer online, using the TD order number from your acknowledgement email...on the printout page, request the form be sent to your email address. Do this at the time you order, because by the time you get the item, the rebate offer is usually past the buy-date and is harder to locate.

When the TD order ships, request a copy of your invoice to be emailed to you.

When the item arrives, print out the completed rebate form and TD invoice from your email. Add the UPC off the product, double-check you've done all the requirements and mail it off. The rebate form even has a pre-printed label you can put on your envelope with clear packing tape.

Couldn't be simpler. In about two-three weeks, you'll get email confirming receipt and a link to use to follow the status of your rebate.

As I said, I've never had trouble with a TD/4MR rebate -- however:

THERE ARE SOME THIRD-PARTY REBATES, NOTABLY FROM McAFEE, THAT ARE VERY DIFFICULT AND ONEROUS. I suggest you avoid these offers, or at least carefully read the conditions first. I won't touch these as their conditions are virtually impossible to fulfill.

Hey , a newegg rep here !Cool ! I've had nothing but good experiences with newegg , but it's great to see they are active in the community. Hello Eugene!

THERE ARE SOME THIRD-PARTY REBATES, NOTABLY FROM McAFEE, THAT ARE VERY DIFFICULT AND ONEROUS. I suggest you avoid these offers, or at least carefully read the conditions first. I won't touch these as their conditions are virtually impossible to fulfill.
Those McAfee rebates do try to trick users, but they're worth the hassle if you can read. You just have to make sure to activate the service, I usually stick it on a pre-paid Visa so if I forget to cancel I don't get billed. Other than that, though, I agree with you entirely. Rebates, when properly submitted, nearly always go as planned for me. I've had a couple fall through the cracks, but the rebate servicer has always taken care of it when I provide copies of the documentation.

Tigerdirect does seem to be intentionally misleading at times. I remember at one point I purchased two products because with the rebate the deal was good. Unfortunately in the small print it said that only one rebate per address. Lesson learned, now I read the small print.

Back